First Look at TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor

We have a larger stator so should be comparable if not more torque with 97mm wheels.

3 Likes

Especially when you go near any kind of curb and start can-surfing for direct torque.

Dibs on the term can-surfing.

9 Likes

At least the can is turning. As-opposed to surfing an immovable gearbox cover.

20190423_002637

2 Likes

Need riptide covers then can surfing will be a thing :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Im pretty sure raptor hubs are 85 kv so you would get a higher top speed but lower torque with the hubs and more torque but a lower top speed with the TB dds.

2 Likes

Same torque as raptor hubs is enough for me. Sounds so good to be true. Hope this braking issue is getting fixed.

Which braking issue is that? I’m seeing so many mixed reviews on brakes with these. Torque boards has assured me in email that they have strong brakes (even low speed braking) if the vesc settings are set properly

1 Like

i believe not so many peoples are theirs VESC set properly…

exactly the low speed braking problem which I read here now more often with Direct drives.

There is no problem with braking. I had to dial them down, they are strong! What people are talking about is that at 1-3kmh the brakes do not lock the wheels which is a non issue for most. You are not getting to a stand still on a decline.

Belt drives with FOC do lock up at that speed and I hate it. There is a whole thread about it somewhere. So I clearly prefer the behaviour of the DD.

2 Likes

My setup is 90kv with 110mm wheels, and breaks are really good! Then again I am 76kg geared, so maybe it’s different for heavier riders.

3 Likes

Really looking forward to what Damon has to say @longhairedboy

1 Like

Torque boards told me we should be fine with ground clearance at 97mm.

1 Like

@BruSkater @McErono which Vesc are you guys using? which FW? And which control mode (current no reverse with brake)?

Unity 23.43. Forward/Brake its called on Unity

IMG_20190423_232957

Finally got some data today. I was wearing a half shell, no pads on a unfamiliar board and remote I didn’t trust myself to push faster. I would say I’m pretty impress by just the dual 90kv. I’m sure it would only get better when I complete the 4WD board. The wheels feels nice and soft but a little too big for my taste. Breaking is still the same, it’s strong at speed but no low rpm break. It would put me to 5mph then I would have no break. This might be fine for some of you but definitely not ideal for San Francisco.

Setup is:

• Evolve Carbon Gen2
  • Dual TB 90kv
  • TB110
  • 12s4p Sanyo 18650RX
  • Unity
    • Motor 90/-60, batt 90/-30

Data is recorded assuming 28pole pairs.

First:

• distance - 2 miles of flats
  • Speed - 20mph avg, 27mph top (only 68% duty)
  • Efficiency - about 25Wh/mile avg (seems fair, I get around the same with Hummies)

Second:

• Distance - 0.5 miles steep uphill (California St, sections of 11,12,15% grade)
    • IMG_20190423_233728
  • Speed - avg 14mph, 24mph top
  • Efficiency - 75Wh/mile avg
  • Temp - ~80F >>>120F (not so bad considering the speed I was riding up this hill)

IMG_20190423_233931IMG_20190423_234402

Sadly @sofu’s feather receiver broke down so we don’t have telemetry to compare. @StefanMe pls fix.

She was quite sad. QQ IMG_20190423_232813

P.S. forgot to mention and this is actually pretty important. Right after I got on top of the hill. One of the motor suddenly had a lot more resistance than the other. I felt it because the free coasting was a lot worse and then I hand spun it and found out. Not sure if it was a over heat issue because it could still spun with the throttle. But after a while it went back to normal. Maybe a bearing ceased seized?

20 Likes

@torqueboards, how many magnets are there in each motor?

1 Like

Forgot to mention something. Please read ^^.

2 Likes

I hope not :sweat_smile:. It might have seized.

4 Likes

Rip I’m too tired.