First Look at TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor

the raptor barley gets 10 miles on the stock settings… from enertion

1 Like

You’ll get better range with the TB DD’s. The R2 hubs are the most inefficient motors on the market between how hot they get and poor design. Not to mention poor QC that fluctuates between batches.

5 Likes

Well I don’t really know if the stats would be accurate being that the beta drives are smaller stators than production model. @longhairedboy currently has the beta drives and may be able to shed more light than myself.

2 Likes

also is it just me or do the drives look wayy smaller in the pictures?

1 Like

They are big. They may have a 6374 stator but are way bigger than a normal 6374 motor. Lots of metal, heavy duty stuff. They stay hot for a very long time after a ride (nothing bad in my opinion).

The R2.1 motors are very inefficient. Even compared to the old R2.0 motors you loose 20-25% range I guess.

Did a 7km run yesterday with two very steep but short inclines on my TB DD and my 12s4p reported 20% battery usage. (75kv 220lbs)20190419_224533

10 Likes

Is the torque of the DD 75kv the same as the raptor 2.1 ?

I can’t compare them side by side… waiting since january for a replacement raptor 2.1. And my TB DD is 12s so wouldn’t be fair to compare them. All I can say is the 75kv TB DD has more than enough torque for me… most of the time I am cruising in slow mode (62% throttle) on steep inclines I use full power and it flys!

Another short run (can’t get enough of this board and sneak out whenever I can…) 6km, 16% usage. So I estimate 35-40km range on full charge. Battery is brandnew and had only one full cycle yet.

1 Like

okay thanks. I eed to sleep about this.^^

Went also for a 10km ride and have 55% left.

I think I found the cause of the slightly noisy motor. I tried to tighten the tolerances with teflontape. it did lessen the clearance between the axle and the motor but had no effect on the sound of the motor.

I believe its the C-clip. The brownish ring in the picture. It was quite shifted to one side not in the center of the big bearing. Centered it as good as possible and the motor sounds much better now almost identical to the other one :+1:20190421_025827

10 Likes

Some more Reviews guys? :grin:

2 Likes

Yes please some more reviews, insights, especially thoughts on the 90kv on 110s. Since I’m in the second batch, I’m dying to know how to 90kvs are performing…

2 Likes

I would probably wait until after the next batch is released. I believe there were quite a few QC issues in the first run. As for performance, VESCS still need a proper low speed brake fix before we can come to conclusions.

1 Like

I rode the beta set (grain of salt here) with Jeffery’s second iteration low speed brake fix on Acks fw. Braking wasn’t as strong as my belts at low speeds, kinda came to a slow coast at best. I did have current control, and if toggling reverse I could reverse into full stop just fine if I remember correctly. When toggling reverse though, the rotational play on one motor would lead to rattling at that point though, and I didn’t have enough time with them to properly shim the rattles away fully.

In general, less aggressive slow speed breaking but smooth as hell. I’d love to hear other people’s thoughts who have done the low speed break fix on their vescs with this first batch of motors.

4 Likes

Someone smarter than me needs to implement a braking formula that compensates for DD so that you can brake to a complete stop and even hold like a handbrake.

It’d be pretty cool :wink:

2 Likes

I think the mode Ackmaniack made to prevent unaspected reverse movements is a good start. Someone should make a mode that tmdoes the same with an active reverse/braking at low speed but then no reverse. Just for low erpm.

5 Likes

I don’t consider braking on the DD’s an issue. 100kg/220lbs and I have strong enough brakes… I guess thats quite subjective. batt regen for highspeed brakes, max brake current for low speed brakes.

But I noticed I had stronger brakes unsensored which is strange and new to me. As soon as my sensors started working (bad hall sensor adaptercables) the brakes got a bit weaker.

Glad I did go with the 75kv with my weight.

I would also be really interested if some of the other users like @Toughook and @LEE would chime in. I mean its quite clear by now I love the TB DD’s A LOT! did I already mention how awesome the really big wheels are? :wink:

4 Likes

I will chime in once I’ve got up and running ! In Spain this week… :grin:

1 Like

I am 90 KV but terribly speedy. Smooth and fast without anxiety. I think the track is good. It’s too fast. Therefore it was marked by the police. When ESK 8 exceeds 60 km / h, people become enemies. An unexpected problem has arisen because it is too fast. There is no understanding of High Speed ​​ESK8 in Japan.:weary:

3 Likes

Were they taken from you?!? What does marked mean :thinking:

I was notified to the police. It is not an arrest.I have been playing in the same place for over 3 years, but this is the first case. I received a warning as a dangerous act.

6 Likes