First Look at TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor

Dexter no offense. But I checked everything. The motor already slipped off the axle when I unpacked the package. Why is it not possible that it was overlooked by the QC?

I don’t know what someone can do wrong when installing the motor.

2 Likes

@rideTastic Unless the hanger grew 10-20mm. The motor shrunk 10-20mm. Which aren’t really possible.

The motor was designed to slip out of the hanger axle without a wheel attached.

1. It’s most likely going to be a loose axle (which you would need to check).
  2. The fitment to your wheel (which you would need to check).

You’ll need to give me more details to work on instead of shifting the motor back and forth and saying it doesn’t work.

3 Likes

@torqueboards So i did write to your customer service about my brand new broke DD like you said i never got a answer, why is it taking so much time ?? Its have been two week now ! I will not be able to ride at all this summer if it continues like this … Thanks !

2 Likes

If it’s been designed that way, it’ll make me feel more comfortable.

I just don’t understand why the other motor didn’t detach itself from the axle, not even without the use of force.

1 Like

I have to agree that writing customer service sometimes doesn’t yield an answer for weeks at a time. Again Iam sure the crew is doing everything they can. At one point I thought maybe I’ll just return it or sell it? Idk Trying to stay patient but 1600 bucks just sitting there isn’t making me feel any better. Iam sure these are awesome but over a month of not being able to use can be a bit frustrating. Hope it all gets sorted soon. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: Happy to hear that some of you have resolved or fixed the issue. :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

@epss4 PM me your ticket number. I believe, we’ve already responded to you.

@esk8ter710 Will send you a reply soon.

1 Like

#13458 Thanks

1 Like

The motors are designed to slide off the axles, and if a wheel is not installed they should slide off. If they are sliding around with a wheel installed, you might have to adjust your wheels bearing spacers or take the motor off and tighten the axles on tight. To make sure the axles don’t come loose, I used isopropyl alcohol to clean whatever loctite they used off the axle threads, and dribbled some loctite blue on, and tightened the crap out of them and didn’t ride hard for about 24 hours for the loctite to fully dry.

If your wheels are on, axles tight, bearing spacers installed correctly, axle nut torqued down a bit (correctly sized spacers absolutely necessary for this, with speed rings or not on one side or the other to get wheel as close as possible to drive motor without strain on the motor), and the motor is still sliding around, I’d double check all the screws on the motor are tight. If they are all tight, how much is the motor moving? Just a bit along the hangar, in and out from the wheel? Maybe space your wheel a bit closer to the motor to tighten it up? Curious…

2 Likes

Ty @torqueboards Excited for the pneumatic tires.

Question Got an email for a pre-order but doesn’t link me to the pneumatics with DD adapters? Am I missing something?

Ty :pray:

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ll try out your help and report back.

Does anyone know the number of pole pairs and the internal resistance of these motors?

It’s 28 poles

1 Like

@esk8ter710 - Pneumatic for DD not ready yet should be very soon.

Waiting on the adapters and will post more soon.

3 Likes

@torqueboards Awesome ty

Can’t wait. :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::pray::pray::pray:

2 Likes

Anybody else have their motors (or a motor in my case) seize up on them and anyone know a fix or is it just a bad motor? @torqueboards I swear I can’t catxh a break with these things… they were running fine (good for what they have been) and was cruising around when all of a sudden I felt resistance from one of the motors. When I flipped the board over sure enough one motor had pretty much no free roll anymore and I could easily see and feel the resistance on one side. Next day (today) put the drives on a new deck and swapped from 2 focbixes to the unity I finally got in the mail yesterday and they rode good for the first 5 minutes (all flat roads and no hills even) at the 6th minute I felt the resistance again and the motor just cogs I try to give it gas. You can tell by the sound too, instead of quiet stealthiness it’s line a louder jet engine is what I would compare it too. Way louder than the other motor and normal coasting. Please tell me this is something dumb and there’s an easy fix Dex…?

PS - I took a video when I got back home. Lmk if you want me to send it… Can I not post videos here? Thought I could…?

Upload to YouTube and post the link. :wink:

Yeah was about to say the same thing. Would be beneficial for anyone considering purchasing these or for current owners so they know what to look out for.

1 Like

@Jansen Does it smell burnt out? Fried motor? Were you running in FOC Sensored? Does it still work or it’s completely shot? Did you check if any of your motor wires/sensor wires were disconnected?

I’m actually fucking with it right now. def not the phase wires at all unless there is something going on inside the can where I can see… still feels seized even when unplugged and disconnected from everything. Running FOC sensored. A couple times when the motors have gotten noticeably hot I have smelt something but it wasn’t so much burning really and more like fresh grease or oil or some type of sealant burning off from being new… dont know for sure though. Its strange cause it seized up like this yesterday then today after I switched decks and 2 FB’s for a new unity it started off fine but then after 5 minutes its back to seized and unrideable where that motor barely rolls. It just kind of cogs when you give it some throttle like it wants to work, but nope. I re-ran motor detection and everything passes fine. There are some numbers that are a lil differs from each other which I’m assuming is the resistance or something because normally they are only a digit or so off unlike it is in the picture included. I also included a link to video I took after I got home earlier today when this happened.

1 Like

The motor seizing is a feature man, not a bug.