First Look at TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor

That is very cool. Do you need 4 VESCs for that?

1 Like

the deck is a bustin nobach,batteries are 2X tattu 6S 16 Ah 15C(12S) , "enclosure " is a motorbike tank bag on the deck.ESC’s deliver 4X60A to the motors

thanx yes, there are two focbox unity inside the ESC enclosures

Can anyone help me with my 75kv DD’s? I have had to crashes due to my brakes being weaker than I care for them to be. Both crashes have ended in minor injuries but could if been much much worse. I’m running a Unity, 75kv DD’s with the 110 wheels, 20700B 12s4p battery. Here are my settings. Ignore the top speed on the Metr Pro app I’m not sure what that’s all about.

Increase battery current max regen to 25A, that’s the only way to avoid injuries

2 Likes

@ElectricCoast You can also use Current Smart Reverse and it works pretty well. I’ll have to make a tutorial on it though.

4 Likes

@Eboosted osted 've increased my battery current max regen to -30 and it’s still the same. I’m completely befuddled. My Kaly with gear drives are set to -11 and they work amazingly.

Yeah a tutorial video may be helpful @torqueboards

That’s impossible, there must be a noticeable braking force going from -15A to -30A.

You will have a stronger braking force but only at high speeds over 25km/hr, at lower speeds there will no much change, so the next question would be, are you braking in low speeds or high speeds?

Lower speeds under 10mph maybe. I don’t get it though my brakes on my other board are amazing set at -11. I can’t even sit on a 5% incline with the brake applied without the board rolling backwards.

This is completely normal. I think you are not testing it corectly or you are comparing coimpletely different ESCs or ESC firmware versions

Same exact escs. They’re both FOCbox Unitys with the same firmware.

1 Like

There must be something weird here, maybe the KV of the motors?

@Eboosted Torqueboard dd 75kv motors on board with braking issue. The other board had Torqueboard 6380 170KV motors on the board with awesome braking.

Got the same issue (TB DD 90 KV), brakes are strong going over 10km/h, but with lower speed, they are not so much present, I usually stop completely by foot braking… I like it to be honest, since my raptor locked its hubs while braking, flipped me over and broke my wrist in 3 places.

Haven’t tried yet the Current Smart Reverse, but I believe it should help with low speed braking.

1 Like

@ThomasL Try Current Smart Reverse. You can lower the reverse ERPM that way it’s not too fast. Actually, works pretty decent. I’ve yet to try it on 6.3" AT Tires though which would be great if it does work.

1 Like

@torqueboards I believe we would like to see a tutorial video on that :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s your problem. direct drives and belt drives are different in how they behave in braking. Do what they suggested and you should be fine :slight_smile:

Wow I’m shocked. I also noticed my direct drives didn’t have amazing brakes. It would scare me if I lived in San Francisco.

Smart Current Reverse will fix the lack of brakes.

1 Like

how do i set that up ? im running my motors in can bus