First build! EMTB, 12s10p, Quad drive - APS 6384s, Full Suspension, twin FOCBOX unity’, DieBieMS, 10" tyres, custom fabricated aluminium chassis

Jesus, you sure you won’t have to register this thing?

1 Like

Holy fuck.

1 Like

This I’d sick, when it’s done I wanna see some 50m drag races with a Tesla

2 Likes

Hey Buddy,

First of all, You have some serious talent!

Other than that, I tried to make a 4 wheel drive ESK8 Board with 2 Unities. The Reliability is just not there.

Here’s what I would recommend. #1: Split your Battery Pack in half. If You were going to do a 12S10P, then use a single 12S5P for each ESC instead. I think this helps reduce the current on some vulnurable IC’s on the Focbox Unity’s PCB.

#2: With a larger Board like Yours, you might consider using 2 or 4 Authentic VESC ESC’s, the original product designed by Benjamin Vedder. I believe that there is a “6 Series” VESC that drives 1 per Motor per each. 4 of these would probably have what You need for Reliability. Or even look at 2 of the “75/300’s” maybe for a Reliable Front or Rear Wheel Drive vehicle… Maybe see what kind of Battery/ESC/Motor Baja Board uses and grab the exact same parts. There are reasons that Enertion uses a 10S Battery Pack, not an 11S or a 12S pack, even though the FOCBOX UNITY can be powered by a 12S Battery.

#3: I when I first started, I figured i’d validate the advertised specifications for the ESC’s and Motors. This approach is not good. I’d highly recommend starting at something like 55% or 60% of the amperage which would be consistent with the maximum Motor or ESC Specifications. You’ll probably be thrilled with the ability to use more of the throttle and you won’t kill the ESC the first week.

One other thing, if you only have 1 battery for 2 Focboxes or for any VESC-like ESC, reduce the “Maximum Braking Regenerative Current” by dividing it by 2. (Both ESC’s will be sending regenerative current to the same battery pack, so if your battery pack can handle -36 amps, then set each of the 2 ESC’s to “Maximum Braking Regenerative Current” to-18 amps. )

If you set both ESC’s at -36 amps, you will end up sending up to -72 Amps to the battery pack. I believe this error results in a burned LM 5060 IC on the Focbox’s PCB.

A User Manual with Crucial tips about how to set the VESC initially to avoid killing it would be nice. But it would also take a lot of work to compile and reduce sales volume, so I can see why that is not a high priority. But anyway, reduce your Max Battery Regen current setting to take in to account that both of your 2 VESCS will be generating current towards the battery pack.

Are you planning to share your plans?

1 Like

How did the 25mm aluminium hold up?