Hey guys! Since a while I decided to develop a bit in the remote section and endet up with the FEATHER REMOTE.
As @DroidSector decided to go with the TOGO board, I ll stay on the FEATHER M0 RFM69. Two different ways… I think its great, it gives the community more choices and everyone can use the remote with his own preferences.
I put a lot of work onto the code and now can say its stable enough for daily rides. I used the remote now for month and had NEVER any problem with it. I programmed a lot of DEBUG code on the remote to check the connection while riding and I am happy with the results. I never had any issues with the remote from interferences… not down town, not at places with thousands of peoples…
I focused a lot on the safety and stability features… special the ESTOP feature on lost connections (I never had one, but u can try it while switching off the remote while riding…) worked awesome.
I am also very happy with the “encryption key” handling. Works super smooth and its super safe.
I also tried the different GUI from @DroidSector. It looks super cool, but I think its not that perfect for such a small screen… I ll stay on my clunky big numbers screen. Also because I am not good in designing good looking screen
Here are some features:
- 0.96inch OLED with 128x64 with high frequently display update rate to have smooth and accurate informations (every 60ms)
- join settings menu with 5 seconds press on extra button or hold trigger on start up
- trigger can be used as DEADMAN-Switch or CUISE-Control
- vibration feature (Alarm on low battery from Board, Remote battery…)
- extra button to switch between 3 different main Screens
- Speed, Distance, Voltage
- Voltage, Motor amps, Battery amps
- DEBUG RSSI, cycle time, failed transmissions
- headlight integration by pushing the extra button for 2 seconds
- over 16 updates per seconds from throttle position to PWM output (every 60ms)
- pair up to 200 boards with unique ID
- one remote will handle all boards by selection the board ID from settings menu
- automatic generated 16 bytes encryption key (15 bytes for unique key and 16th byte for board selection)
- after first tun on from remote, it will generate a random 15 byte key
- every new receiver can be paired from settings menu with the new key and board ID (after first connect, u have to switch on and off the board to acknowledge the new pairing)
- ESTOP automatic slow down until stop - more than 450ms no new values from remote will force the receiver into ESTOPMODE and slow down the trigger value every 50ms by 2/4 (soft/hard) until it reaches 25% break trigger to stop the board safe
- ESTOP will armed automatically after first valid transmission between remote and receiver
- priority transmission handling! Deactivating display refresh and UART pull if no valid transmission is received until
- ESTOPMODE is triggered, then display is refreshing again for analysing error
- break light integration with adaptive flash warning
- if trigger is under middle position the break light will be bright
- if trigger is close to full break position the break light will flash
- different riding modes for beginners | intermediate | pros
- trigger value will be attached to 50% | 75% | 100%
- police mode
- Trigger value will be cut of at 25%, can be unlocked with button press combination
Here are some pictures of the current status:
The PCB for a nice clean build with JST-PH connections (I ll replace them in the next order with JST-ZH plugs)
The remote also got some bearings inside for a smoother run. I am not a big fan of the plastic slide style…
FeatherRemoteBasic Receiver V0.1:
FeatherRemoteAdvanced Receiver V0.1:
I am also working on an super super small SMD PCB to convert every remote to an SMART remote. And yes… its fucking small… 25x32mm with JST connection for all u need… close to finish, but need some testing of course
So I u have any ideas or suggestions, please let me know. I ll sell one two or three remotes with receivers before I ll release anything to make sure everything works perfect. Its special interesting for people who riding more then one board frequently and want to use the same remote all the time.
Keep calm and eat