FatBoy antispark 0.5W draw

Don’t let the door hit your entitled ass on the way out

4 Likes

Why are you guys so frickin angry?.. most commercial lion products run flat within 30 days anyway, the boosted V1 is a good example if the battery got low because you either left it at 100% and it drained to 0% or you rode it to 40% and left it there for a month then there would have been no way to charge it except forcing current through the motors to charge the a123 cells. (or just send the board to get replaced)

if you don’t check up on your eboards often (1-2 weeks) then your asking for a disaster… or if you’re super worried just buy one of those storage voltage maintainers.

^or i just sound super dumb

1 Like

It’s not only esk8 technology is in it’s infancy - some vendors are also. And that has nothing to do with cutting edge technology.

The feeling that i’m doing a favor to a vendor buying their highlighly premium/expensive products kills me.

2 Likes

Me, reading this thread.

3 Likes

This is the perfect response, and I believe would have made everyone happy (along with a note on the product listing on the website). Thank you!

That temper tantrum that preceded this though… I don’t think I need to add anything…

4 Likes

I am sorry but urs is already overtaken the whole forum so no way I am going to get hit :wink:

@martinsp should consider my above circuit in his future revs, he can add a diode branch for the P2S feature.

Power conssumption if the off position should be as low as possible, it is not normal to drain a battery when an item is not in use

7 Likes

It has been my observation that people who always offer destructive criticism don’t take constructive criticism very well. Oh the irony.

8 Likes

5 Likes

Considering the topic is it safe to assume this is how nerds dispute each other?

3 Likes

Yep… this is why normal people just watch… i dont understand half of what these guys are talking about.

Bunch of savages

2 Likes

Autistic screeching intensifies

3 Likes

No one better for that than Pepe

1 Like

I recently swapped out my Spud’s antispark and rolled back to an XT90AS after I found out my 10S2P pack had drained to zero when left idle.

I tried two different antispark switches, both leaked or rather consumed power when off.

Both were brand new… Ironically my older generation ones never exhibited this problem thus I never expected this to be an issue.

So yah if the switch is going to consume power when it’s off. At least let the consumer know.

1 Like

Hello everyone, I just got back from the shop and read my emails, been a bit too busy past few days. I will reply to all my PMs in the morning. I will also do the measurements, Im planning to measure what I would consider the worst case scenario of what you described. Measure the input current/power from the battery while the switch is OFF and the output of the switch is shorted to include leakage current. If youd like to see something measured let me know so I can do it…

The switch will consume power all the time, that simply is because there is a micro-controller that needs to be powered so it can respond to the input (push button for example). The only way you could get absolute zero current is by using relays because mosfets have leakage current when OFF and no active micro-controller just a push button that when closed energizes the coils. I was thinking about such a design because it is simple and pretty bullet proof as far as the switch goes but it would be very bulky for electric skateboard needs…

EDIT: just measured it here are the results: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/push-to-start-switch-out-now/60879/195?u=martinsp

4 Likes

I think the ideal solution would be something like the unity has. A momentary push button antispark solution with negligible power consumption.

^ I don’t know the ins and outs of how this works, but I’d implore the antispark designers of the community to work towards this implementation. I mean no offence to anyone, i simply think that the current AS switches can be improved, seeing as there is already one out there that does the job perfectly. (The only issue is that you have to buy 2 vescs along with it and for those running a 1WD build, it’s not a viable option.)

As for the current AS switches that consume a noticable about of power, it’ll be nice to leave a note on your website (or wherever) to indicate its power drain. There are some with small battey packs (think 20 cells or lesser) who use your anti-sparks, and 0.5W or similar of power drain is quite unacceptable. (I’m not saying Martinsp’s switch drains 0.5W, will wait on his reply on the power drain of his switch)

@Martinsp Thanks for steping into the discussion, would love to hear your thoughts on it.

1 Like

Is this consumption of power only for the PTS style switches only or even the older generation ones?

I have two of your switches. The old one with the big automotive fuse and a newer generation (non-PTS). Old one works fine. New one killed my 10S2P apparently.