Extended BLDC-TOOL with Watt Control Mode, PPM Cruise Control, individual Throttle-Curve and Android App

Yes it did! Awesome.Now i just have to add some brake power :smiley:

1 Like

Just one word about your work! It is awesome !!!

I have just build my board with dual 6375 and vesc-x and never use the original vedder firmware but your’s and it is perfect :slight_smile: Thanks you for all !

I have seen that you provide source code for your modified firmware. Is it possible to share your android app too ? i wan’t to create a application in my raspberry for transmit information via GSM and i think i will use bluetooth for communicating with my rasp because i wan’t to keep it in my bag :slight_smile:

So if it is possible juste said me , it can be very usefull for me.

Sincerely

I tracked down an android device to try and use for this, but it is only a Nexus S 4G w/Android 4.1.2 build JZ054K. Looks like I need at least Android 4.4? I am having a hard time finding the right android update to sideload, can you point me in the right direction? I was able to sideload the Vesv Monitor app but got the expected parse error when trying to install on unsupported older hw and OS. Any help much appreciated, I just want to get something up and running (Wifi no wireless carrier) just for Vesc Monitor app!

Personally, i have to smartphone, a galaxy s4, and a “ELEPHONE S7”.

Since the last update only my S4 is ok with the vesc monitor application. The 2 phones are on android 6. Perhaps you can upgrade your phone with a cyanogenmod ?

PM me and I’ll get your device added to our supported list. I’ve been really busy with work and my wife was just diagnosed with MS so I’ve been dealing with that. But it should be no problem updating your device. We specialize in Nexus and open source devices.

1 Like

@Ackmaniac I have been using your firmware for quite a while now and it’s perfekt. I have the latest version, the 2,54. But today, I wanted to check the reverse mode with no weight, it spinned for a couple of seconds full speed and then stopped I tried it again and the same thing happend. The third the motor didn’t spin at all, neither backwards nor forward. I connected it to my laptop and damnit… Fault : FAULT_CODE_DRV8302 Current : 0.4 Current filtered : -0.0 Voltage : 30.88 Duty : 0.00 RPM : -0.1 Tacho : 849 Cycles running : 3 TIM duty : 32 TIM val samp : 5 TIM current samp : 8398 TIM top : 8400 Comm step : 0 Temperature : 29.81 Any ideas what could be the reason for this? I have a sk3 6364 with a 8s Lipo and a esk8.de VESC and I run it in FOC

1 Like

I guess you know what happened - Fried DRV in FOC mode. The classic

FOC on the bench can cause issues. Especially at full speed. Some motors run flawlessly and others are very sensitive. I guess it is because you give the signal to open the door for the current but the motor can’t consume it because it is already at max speed. But it also can be another reason. Best is to prevent the full speed issue when you reduce the limit ERPM start and end value in the PPM settings. When you set this to nearly full speed then the VESC will try to reduce the current when it reaches this speed. So for example when your motor reaches 55000 ERPM on the bench then you can set the ERPM limit start to 50000 and the end to 55000. For example when i go down a hill with my R-SPEC 6355 then my motors start to go crazy at full speed. They can’t go any faster and only produce like 300 watts even if i give full throttle. Because they are already close to their maximum speed. This starts at around 57 km/h for me. So i set the maximum speed to 58 km/h and say that it should start to reduce the power output at around 52 km/h. So i have no trouble with the motors anymore. But i also have to run them at a switching frequency of 30000 (normally 20000). Otherwise they are gittering so that my whole board vibrates and they also killed a DRV. Since i have them at 30000 everything is fine (Only the max speed issue which i solved by the settings above).

Also when you try to keep a slow speed on the bench by giving very little power can also cause issues.

On the other side the R-SPEC Ghost prototypes (Raptor 2 Motors) run without any issues in FOC. I think that the distance of the magnets to each other is important for the FOC capability. I could be wrong but this is the biggest difference between the motors physically (apart from the amount of magnets 14 / 28).

3 Likes

Hey Ackmaniac - where do you adjust setting to have it backoff power at 52km/h in the tool? Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

[edit] ignore this question - I was only thinking of the motor config tabs, I’m assuming you limit this under the PPM soft ERPM limits section

Same thing happened to me :slight_smile: FOC was running wonderful before. Updated to 2.54 and tried reverse mode on the bench. Was fine when I stood on the board tho. Got the DRV fried. Its currently undergoing repair :smile:

A good advice would be: Don’t run Foc on the bench . People keep frying their vescs with it.

Maybe it’s just a problem with unsensored motors?

Hopefully this will be my last stupid question on this. I have 2 VESCX’s in CANBUS. Do I need to update the firmware on each one, or will they both update if I install the firmware on one? The second one is stuck down with adhesive tape, and doesn’t want to come out, and I don’t have room to fit a USB cable into the port. Ken

You need to update both and also make motor detection on each individual one. Thus step is important in order to rise smoothly and avoid issues

But you can update the VESC via the CAN bus. Just below the connect button you can select which controller id the slave vesc has and choose “CAN Fwd”

1 Like

Thanks, hopefully one last question…In your install instructions, it says: "Be aware that this is only for Hardware Version 4.10 or above (VESC-X as well). Where do I find the hardware version on my VESCX? All I can find is it’s firmware version 2.18, and I received these brand new in March 2017. Ken

Every VESC-X works.

Thanks! Wish me luck as I’m diving in now! Ken

Using a MAC, the firmware quit unexpectedly. Every time I try to reboot it, I get the same error, although it does say I’m on Firmware version 2.54

Just simply reboot by powering the VESC off and on again. It’s the same. But just wait 5 seconds in between.