Evolve Bamboo GT battery upgrade

exactly - that’s definitely my view !

nice work. How long does it take to fully charge that new battery pack? I’m interested in building this, although I lack the tools to carve out the indentation on the deck. Maybe I can try to find a shop somewhere in town that’ll let me rent some time on it for an hour.

if you can’t find one i’ll carve the spots for you cheap + shipping. Consider it a favor of last resort if you can’t dig up a guy locally.

1 Like

Thanks! That would be swell!

Starting my battery upgrade

2 Likes

Nice. Please show some intermediate steps if you can so I may look at it in the future when I try it :slight_smile:

looking forward to this! I love that this is a thing and people are doing it.

Could you build a bamboo GT battery and ship to the client and let the client install? Perhaps for a lower service fee?

1 Like

I don’t have any plans on doing that. you have to modify the deck with a router or CNC, so there’s more going on than just swapping out a pack. Plus i have to use connectors from the original pack, and disposal/recycling of the original evolve pack is included. All together its worth the time to provide the service, but just building flexy packs wouldn’t be something I could charge as much for and becomes less worth my time. It’s a precarious balance. I almost didn’t offer this service at all, but now that i’ve done three of them I’m getting into a groove with it.

Oh ok. I thought I could make the mod with a dremel.

What did you modify and why? I’m this close to getting CNC… appreciate your experience and suggestions.

I just rode w/ a bunch of Bamboo GT guys last week on a meetup ride in my area. What does this battery upgrade cost (if i’m chatting with one and want to send them your way)?

Great thread and pics LHB!

$350 plus cells. I have it listed on my site now. Usually i send people to liionwholsale.com for the cells but you can get them wherever you want. Send them to me along with the board and i’ll do the whole thing and send it back within a couple of days of getting the cells and board. I’m trying to do real fast turnarounds on these.

Oh also the mods on the x-carve: i made the Y axis longer to about 5’ and the x-axis shorter to about 2.5 feet. I did that so i could cut out complete decks and not take up more space than i need to.

On the bamboos i take out wood for the higher battery and more wood for the taller electronics stack, i have to take the BMS out and put it on top of the ESC so there needs to be a cavity there.

1 Like

How much extra vertical space was needed in your experience to make the 18650s fit?

And how much would you charge just for the battery pack, sans wood milling?

about 2 millimeters i beleive it is. packs are $200 plus cells and don’t include BMS or switches or chargers or any of that.

Ok, I started today.

I think I’m gonna use this layout so there no need to use a router to make room for the BMS.

4 Likes

How is it going? Think I want to make an upgrade a Vinter projekt. But I have absolutely no experience to that kind of work. Is it manageable?

Fascinating. You still have room to not move the BMS when stacking like that after wiring everything? I feel like i tried this… I know i tried a lot of things…

Yes, there was a perfect fitment with the cells stacked this way, however the wiring was a PIA, so I switched the cell perpendicular to the deck, I also had to increase the size of the snclosure with fiberglass so there was no need to route the deck for the BMS.

Hi I am trying to sort this upgrade, being in the uk longhairedboy is not a option.Would anyone have the cad drawings for the cut outs for the BMS and pack? Or anyone have dimensions I can work with ? Any help would be fantastic.

2 Likes

I am interested in this well. This might be my winter project.

1 Like