EU Law - (The Netherlands) for Electric Vehicle / Longboard

Just today I was walking trough the city and saw a guy on one of those electric unicycle things and I have seen more of those around. Is it legaal for them ? Dont really think the police dont know what to do with all the electric devices.

Everything that goes faster than 5 km/h is considered illegal as far as I know. Because it’ll fall into a certain category of vehicle. And for every vehicle in our by too many rules restricted country you need an insurance :sweat:

I don’t think forced insurance is a bad thing when it comes to situations where other people could get involved. The problem is that we aren’t legally able to obtain insurance, even if we wanted to. The government has pretty strict rules on what a “vehicle” is, including a requirement for a steering wheel.

Considering how easy they give licences to gas scooters (below 50cc) to me it looks utterly stupid to ban such vehicles.

Heck they could invent some tests to prove that a person can steer good enough and brake in proper way and allow to legally use them.

Im pretty sure people would be willing to pay a fee or something if they were allowed to use bike pathes with at least 25kph as max speed.

Especially true for all the riders in Germany who would not get fines and their boards confiscated as the german police seems to be doing now… but yeh, who knows, it might be really more “practical” for german government just to scare off people than to allow some things

Totally agree with you there. They should make an urban electric vehicle category. In which electric longboards, unicycles and other forms of transport will fall. With options for insurance. For example; to qualify the vehicle needs to have the option to stop within lets say 15 meters when riding at a maximum speed of 30km/h. Proper lights, front white, back red. Done. It’s gonna be hard to check these things and register them when we do DIY builds though… the system needs to change.

1 Like

I’ve had some new thoughts about this when it comes to electric bikes. Under Dutch law, electric bikes that only provide electric drive as long as the user assists are road legal up to 25 km/h with no insurance. Isn’t there a way we can make a board adhere to these requirements?

You can limit that with ackmaniac’s firmware, but I’m not sure it would work. Try to look up what the law says about segways

I’ve tried this with the Ackmaniacs firmware in the no-accelleration-mode, it’s possible was not much fun to ride this way :frowning:

A push pole would make it look like you are pushing your board along.

People might smile as they reminisce about when they tried standup paddle boarding while on holiday.

And of course some people would probably feel uncomfortable with a skateboarder carrying a great big stick.

3 Likes

That’s pretty cool. I can imagine that’d get you some nice gains as well!

Gains as in upper body and core strength? I’d imagine it would be both a good workout, and somewhat fun as well.

There’s this one that is some kind of springy composite at the end that cushions the pole plant and provides a little extra oomph at the end of the push.

I’d think a short spring section at the end, like a diy long pogo stick would work also.

Do you guys have any news regarding Dutch laws, at least? I recently moved here and I would love to get an electric unicycle to use between home and work.

No not really. I think you’ll be fine if you ride carefully and at walking speed if you’re on the sidewalk and cycling speed if you’re in a bycicle lane. Wear a helmet and be nice to people you encounter.

Ok, cool. I will always be nice to people, but I was not planning to wear a helmet for that. I will just get one, then. It will take me a few months to get a EUC, but I really want one and I hope I can ride it in peace. :slight_smile: Thank you for your reply, Yecrtz!

1 Like

I’d definitely recommend you to wear a helmet. Many bicycle helmets look pretty nice and even if you don’t wear it for your own safety, you could wear it to increase the chance of the cops giving you a pass on riding an unapproved vehicle.

Is there any news about the dutch laws for electric skateboards? I heard that they have made progress in Germany to legalise electric skateboards. Evolve is already 3 years working on this in Germany. I was planning to buy an Evolve gtx street (https://www.voltaboards.nl/en/evolve-gtx-bamboo-street.html). Do you guys recommend this board? So far i have not very much experience with electric skating.

As far as I know, no real progress has been made. That said, I’ve been seeing more and more Eboards on the roads, so I can only hope we’ll get closer to a “gedoogbeleid”.

Evolve has some pretty solid boards, but they have been surpassed when it comes to Price-/Performance-ratio.

Can’t speak from experience though.

There is no real progress for laws.

Evolve is not working on this, they do sell tons of their board even they are illegal. The only company (as far as I know) that is in contact to the government in germany is mellow, and some guys from the DIY-Community but not Evolve.

Evolve-Boards are ok but they are overpriced.

1 Like

I’ve started working on the laws here in Ireland… If your looking for a premade board look at metro board they always get over looked and maybe one of the best made boards out there

How did you approach the government? Pretty interested in this.