EMF Hub motor final sale!

put epoxy there where the wire leaves the solder and youll be good

Dang are those thin aluminum wires? Literally the worst wires for a high amperage motor.

Apparently Land wheel has the same motor design or manufacturer and the wires melt.

they are not aluminium - they are basically the same copper strands as inside the motor but tinned to make soldering possible. awkwardly thin though - I agree on that.

i wonder why they did that? to save money or to prevent desoldering of the wire where it transitions from the stands to actual high amperage wires.

The insulation is pretty lame as well. Looks like they slipped a long loose peiece of heatshrink all the way down and into the motor.

It is not like it makes a difference. Look at the length of the strands inside the motor - the little piece that comes out of it is so small that any loss due to higher resistance is negligible. SK3 motors have the same principle - but use thicker wire for the windings so the cables sticking out are also thicker.

Also your heat shrink theory: that is exactly what they did and also the reason why you can still pinch them.

So do you think if the wiring issue is resolved and the slipping urethane people will regain confidence in this great design Jacob made for us?

Iā€™m willing to invest in a couple sets and resolve the issues and sell them for testing purposes to members that would be interested In helping restore confideof the community in this design.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad that I got slightly used hubs. After modifications (post #514 and #533) I ride them with a drop through deck and till now no problems. But I used them just a few battery charges. They have torque as hell.

Still, my only issue is the slipping and squeaking urethane. Other than that, they have worked fine for me and have good torque, and decent top speed on 12s ~25mph. I tried the double sided scotch tape and the urethane doesnā€™t seem to slip as much, but they squeak like crazy as the urethane shifts on the tape. I like @yacaā€™s inserts and will probably try those next, but hold them down by wrapping a layer of gorilla tape across them and around the Hub. Iā€™d still like to be able to remove the urethane without destroying it since I got the second replacement set in another color.

What other fixes have been working for you guys?

Today i made inserts for the hub just like the brass one but on my 3d printer and glued them in between the nubs. On the wheel that hasnt slipped it kept it in place and the wheel that has widened due to slipping before now with the inserts it doesnt slip but does vibrate a bit when temps get higher. Iā€™ll post pics.

I contemplated adding 4 peices of grip tape around the 4 inserts vs epoxy.

Went with the epoxy and so far so good.

Im getting soon the wheels in a urethane that has a higher heat resistance along with another pair of motors. I am going to upgrade the phase wires and all the hardware and test them. If they pass my torture test of my 50v 12s 16000mah battery riding all day ill list them for sale for anyone interested.

1 Like

This thread is the No Manā€™s Sky of eSk8.builders : (

3 Likes

Can you share the files for the print? My wheels have not widened yet so using the inserts might already be enough for me (just for peace of mind since i have not experienced any slipping yet)

Jacob can deliver now?

I donā€™t see a lot of messages reporting about refund statuses, but i got my money back through paypal (a couple of weeks ago actually). Worked perfectly and Jacob even added some messages to the dispute, stating that he is very sorry etc. Iā€™m also really sorry for abandoning this project, but i just cant wait any longer (summerdays are gone, and i have different things are going on in my life now). Good luck on the rest of the sales though and thanks for the work & effort put into the esk8-community.

Iā€™ll share the inserts file on thingiverse for everyone today and post the link. Use Abs or anything that can resist motor temps. Same for the adhesive.

Enjoy

2 Likes

@ralphy is it your secret how you got the hubs and how you could order more hubs and new wheels?

Well I read everything that happened and its a wild ride with these motors. Jacob did a cool job but a lot of people were left with a desire to get these things working properly. I can order more so far ive run a pair for over 50 miles in south florida weather sometimes even 30-40min non stop.

The manufacture has no intention of modifying the things that need improvment such as the phase wires the knubs but they seem copperative in making the urethane to resist 40 C degrees more. Thats a step in the right direction.

If the new rubber is good i can order a couple sets and if the results are good i can ship them out to you in the US priority mail for those interested. I dont intend to make any profit on the upgraded rubber.

Ive developed products in the past and i do extensive testing to prevent these issues. I also have a lot of research in material testing and adhesives as a college instructor.

The motors if I modify them phase wires, knubs and rubber upgrade will be tested on an individual basis for several hours before shipping.

Let me know your thoughts.

If you dont have a 3d printer i can send you a set of 8 knubs 3d printed that have worked for me for $9.99 with shipping tracking included

One thing that came to mind that can be causing the slipping issue is that there are two types of urethane.

Thermoplastic - which can be melted and repoured much like the hdpe plastics in milk jugs (its cheaper to manufacture and less durable)

Thermosetting- which is chemically fused into its fina lform much like epoxies. Heat will usually not cause them to deform and they are more durable and expensive to manufacture.

I can bet money these wheels that slip are thermoplastics. Once i confirm it Iā€™ll report back.

A urethaneā€™s ability to resist heat plays an important role in determining its application. Thermoset urethane performs well in temperatures of up to 250Ā° without issue.Thermoplastic urethane will soften when tested in high temperatures.

Gotta love that higher education!!

3 Likes

I hope you donā€™t mean what I think you mean: buying them from Page Not Found - Aliexpress.com

I think he has a deal with Jacob but doesnā€™t want to tell us his secret. No words from Jacob as well. I hope he will manage new better wheels and will provide them for us.

I donā€™t think Jacob is involved.

Thatā€™s not Jacobs manufacturer. Itā€™s a reseller. If you want direct contact here it is:

also you can buy PU WHEELS with 83a duro.