EMF Hub motor final sale!

I only had the urethane slipping, but I still wouldn’t trust them anymore like the aluminum around the grub screw was starting deform. The wires coming out a tiny hole I wouldn’t trust. Copper wire vs bendable silicone i wouldn’t trust. The parts really need to be steel for them to last imo aluminum you’re just waiting for the day they fail. I didn’t have to much knowledge when I purchased them but now i look for stuff that is overbuilt rather than adequate so I wouldn’t purchase any hubs available now.

Just went on EMF web page. Fortunately final purchase cant be made as it wont allow you to input payment method. Says invalid. So at least any future sales is halted till they sort out the design. I just hope he can get out of this problem without to much damage to himself and others. @lowGuido you are one of the lucky ones. Usually the first batch is the ones with issues. The second batch could also be hampered by design or manufacturering descisions that obviously didn’t actually improve the product. Its a shame. They looked sweet. Nice box.

When I bought these motors I knew that a single guy (who is just a student) designed some motors in his spare time and had them made. The price he offered was exceptional and basically you got a dual hub system for less than a single Carvon hub - there could obviously be no profit margin. At the time nobody knew what these hubs are about, so I knew from the start that it is going to be unknown territory and basically a beta test. That is why even if there would be something wrong with my motors (I never rode them because I first have to make me a custom battery pack) I could never just ask for a refund. We are a DIY forum and instead of fixing this, people only complain and ask for refunds. I would have expected someone already rewinding the motor or coming up with another solution - there are so many creative people on here. It is a shame and I just hope Jacob can get out of it without implications in his personal life. The only thing he did wrong was the lack of communication.

2 Likes

I think it’s more than just a lack of communication. People ordered hubs and never got them. So why they should not complain or ask for refunds? And one thing I don’t understand is, why he didn’t do enough tests with the hubs before he was going to sell them?

1. How is he supposed to ship motors when people have basically taken all his money and then some?
  2. As far as i know he did - he even had @lowGuido do a review. But apparently something changed between batches with the urethane and everything went downhill from there. The chinese manufacturer stealing his design did probably also not help.
1 Like
  1. When I ordered the ETA on his page was the 1st week of July. The first week of July came and he send 25 sets but I and many others didn’t receive the hubs. So he had a wrong ETA on his page or not enough hubs. The story with the refunds came later.

If I could get my hands on one of the new batch id be keen to review. But if people who pre ordered are still waiting for motors I got no chance of getting my hands on one.

Unless @luke wants to send me his.

Just give me your address and they’re yours, so long that Jacob doesn’t want them back. I know that @oriol360 also wanted to try fixing them so whoever sends me an address first can have them I guess. I’d rather they be benefiting someone. Edit:stop sending me your addresses people :joy: they’re already on their way to low Guido

1 Like

Not sure why my post was flagged. Bringing to light all the failing projects run by the same person seemed pertinent.

@stealth71, I didn’t flag and your statement has some truth in it.

However, I think that @lowGuido stepped up and is trying to sort out the big mess Jacob made with his motors. Respect for that and a big thank you. So here we should focus on the motors.

I ordered my set, thane and an additional motor in April. Not because I desperately needed motors but because I wanted Jacob to succeed and to support him. And an additional set of motors is always nice.

My stuff never arrived. I pinged and emailed Jacob but nothing came back. So eventually I decided to open a PayPal dispute. Not even because of the bad reviews, but simply because I figured that the chances that I would get anything became very small.

I have had the same experience on the VESC Connect he started. Failing project and lack of communication. I applaud anyone trying to make the situation better because as I said before it seems @jacobbloy hasn’t come up with a game plan to resolve the situation. Communication and honesty go a long way and they have both been lacking.

1 Like

Here is my 2nd modification on the hubs. I made 8 inserts which I will glue on the rotor. I will glue the urethane on the rotor as well. I made tests with epoxy and it should work. I will have to roughen the rotor with sandpaper before I glue all together.

8 Likes

@yaca That looks really good. If the glue alone doesn’t hold, you could always make a hole in either end of your inserts and add a little pin through the screw holes (bumps) into the inserts and glue that into place. My hubs are still working fine, aside from the slipping urethane which only becomes a problem after I’ve ridden them a while and they’ve warmed up. I’m gonna first try the double sided scotch tape trick applied with mineral spirits, but I’d like a more elegant and permanent solution like your inserts for the long term.

Yes exactly! Why did they make it shinny so it slips? You can cut ridges too with a dremel to help grip. Is that insert aluminum?

Want some good results …clean the surface and roughen it on both the urethane and metal. Run a thin bead of loctite professional super glue. Assemble and it will never slip again. When you hav to replace the urethane you can cut the superglue lip around the perimeter.

Let’s try and keep this thread on topic. Off-topic posts may be deleted.

The inserts are made of brass. Aluminium would be good as well but just I had brass with the diameter of 5 mm. The hight is 2,6 mm and the length is 35mm.

Coool, i was going to run a threaded 3mm rod through a hollow 5mm carbon fiber pipe across the whole thing… the offset of the holes isnt ideal.

Man if the design would have made those ridges squares instead of speed bumps it would have never slipped.

Thats a really nice looking solution there @yaca!

The whole issue is on topic with the disgusting part too.

What you need is to start a SOLUTION threat for this Motors because they are really good motors with one flaw that can be solve.

There’s a lot of information being thrown around, so I’m a little confused on whether or not there are genuinely more problems than just the urethane slipping or if some of the other potential issues were one off. Jacob mentioned the extra $100 for shipping solution, but his lack of communication has me worried if that would actually work or not.

Is it worth it to wait a little while longer and see how this pans out or is it worth it to drop the $100 and get whatever he currently has on hand or should I just find new motors?