Elofty Direct Drive

I looked at getting some stuff made by 3D hubs, I’m pretty sure that getting it made in aluminium was only a dollar or two more than Delrin

1 Like

So the mystery of lost wh/km is somewhat solved. I just did a complete loop that GPS tells me was 3.37km but the vesc odometry says 4.862 km.

The incorrect consumption((wh_out - wh_in)/dist) is reported to be 7.8Wh/km=((39.87-2.14)/4.862).
The correct consumption can be calculated as: (39.87-2.14)3.37 = 11.19Wh/km. This is why I said “somewhat” earlier. It is still pretty low, given I am using half penumatics. Haha.

The corrected average speed is 3.37km/9.75min = 3.37km/0.1625hr = 20km/hr

The one variable which I didn’t take into account is the number of magnets. I just said “yes” to the default value of 14 magnets during VESC setup but maybe that’s wrong. 14magnets*4.862/3.37=20.2magnets. So I guess eLofty has 20 magnets or 10pole pairs. I’ll ask Kenna if that’s true.

EDIT: Kenna replied that it 18. Either the tire diameter in VESC is a bit more or the GPS underestimates the distance a bit because it measure in a straight line(even though you are carving)

image Screenshot_20190412-041236 IMG_20190412_044245

@goldrabe

4 Likes

That’s because 3D hubs profit margins are insane

you better buy a 3D pritner than pay 3D hubs to print a single piece. I think they price are insane.

They’re doing something right though, $30 mill investments

what is it? Ah now I got it, the company investments. Yes I read they raised $18 mil from funding. Crazy! I guess most of the people doesn’t realise the margins they apply.

1 Like

So I lurked arround this sub for a bit now, trying to find the axel diameter that the motors can fit on (I got it that the hanger is stepped down to 8 mm but how big is the through hole/the motor or the big axel diameter). And how long is the motor itself?

12mm

ghsklslksdj

11Wh/km is still impressive. 18 Magnets is similar to the design of the 6364 based hubs I linked the Metr. data above. 20180903_112732 The Magnets are glued gap less and freeroll or coasting is quite good on them. Used as hubs the efficiency is a bit less in my use case, if the pneumies really would make them more efficient due to less rolling resistance would be awesome.

1 Like

Do you think there’s enough clearance in the setup for 7’’ or 8’’ tyres? I’m looking into hooking up my Evolve Gen1 deck to this system, but want the comfort those tyres can deliver…!

For half pneumatics that still really good

Whats the phase resistance the vesc measured?

1 Like

Generally, Acetal Delrin (POM) is typically 3-4x more expensive than aluminum especially with larger stock. The cost is offset by machining time which typically takes half the time to cnc aluminum. Price wise, parts made out of POM is ~10 to 20% cheaper than aluminum.

3 Likes

Surely similar to bike tires the rolling resistance depends on the air pressure which is greatly adjustable. With a good supple slick tire and like 40psi (guessing) should be very low rolling resistance. How much pressure do the tires take?

And what’s the phase resistance as measured on bldc tool?

@Hummie the tire pressure is 72PSI and @Pedrodemio

Thanks

For what kv motor are these resistance numbers?

72lbs per tire. Wow. That’s what u do or the max?

75kv motor. That’s the rated pressure for the 6x2 tires.

Nothing makes sense anymore :sweat_smile:

My guess would be a way lower R due to a longer stator, but its double the value of the raptor hubs and and the Hummies

My guess is it comes down to riding style and current settings, my guess is once you get used to them and build more trust on the wheels the consumption will go up

This shows that a high pressure wheel can keep a good efficiency, can’t wait to try 85 psi or more on mine

This is the max current I saw while riding yesterday, but know that the consumption is still wrong because of incorrec # of poles Screenshot_20190412-040514

2 Likes

From reddit. Same as eLofty? Notice the TKP trucks. @topcloud, so this is what you were talking about a long time ago? Regarding a bunch of top esk8 companies introducing these drives in 2019? I wonder what prices they will offer it at and whether we can group buy these drives from eLofty at much lower cost.
image.

4 Likes

I thought so. Everyone will present DD this year. Unbelievable of we think the original meepo and the board they provide nowdays

3 Likes