Elofty Direct Drive

that’s why I said similar. I am actually interested more in the grey wheels since I read that they are nice

1 Like

Average speed was pretty low, maybe around 20km/hr. I was very wary of the 3D printed wheels breaking. Haha. And it did, but fortunately not in a way that it would throw me off the road.

So what I suspect the reason for the insanely low wh/km is low rolling friction. For my ride I initially went uphill and then downhill. The downhill part I didn’t have to apply any throttle. If it were my belt drive I would have to apply some throttle to ensure that it kept moving at a decent speed.

1 Like

Awesome, with a average speed of 20 km\h I would have expected something more like 13-15 Wh/km and that on pneumies is remarkable. Even my gear drive with 110mm wheels eats up 18 Wh/km but I am also a heavier guy 90kg.
Looking forward to your finished build!

3 Likes

Is anyone able to say how this compares with the Torqueboards DD? I got baited and switched there so I have to wait “at least another month” to received it, maybe I should get this instead?

2 Likes

You should use 5-7 walls for the 3D print and 25-50% infill

I 3D print chassis for my combat robots (1lb weight class) and walls > infill anyday

4 Likes

That’s a brilliant build! :+1:

1 Like

Our Gen2 Carbon is presently in the capable hands of @Winfly and @sofu :+1: more to come!

8 Likes

IMG_5739 IMG_5740

20 Likes

@sofu, do you also have the pneumatics with you already?

1 Like

5 walls with 100% concentric infill. Took 150grams($3.75) of PETG filament including supports. If something breaks here I have to update the design. :crossed_fingers: image

12 Likes

I don’t think I was given any pneumatics

1 Like

Just curious how long was the print?

17 hours at 40mm/sec

2 Likes

the prototype arrived! :joy:

5 Likes

Yes me definitely

Make that two! :smile:

At that point you should have printed a shell and flood it with molten filament… Would have saved you a good 15 hours and no layers to fault

That wouldn’t really work, because the heat would melt that shell. What needs to be done for faster production is to make an injection mould. Or make a negative of the part in plaster. Those things are additional headaches which is unnecessary given I have a 3D printer.

But why does it matter that it take 17 hours to print? It’s not I am standing in front of watching it print. You just give it print and go about your day.

7 Likes

how much cheaper is it to CNC POM (delrin?) compared to aluminum? POM would definitely last forever

@marcmt88?