Electric Longboard 3d printed enclosure strengh

How? what is needed for making it or where to buy it. 3d print cost almost nothing for me since my school has free use of the printers

Well then the 3d printing will be cheaper…my 3D printed enclosure costed me about 30$, the glass fibre enclosure about 35$ (5 layers of 200gsm firbreglass cloth, catalyst, polyester resin, gelcoat, PVA seperator and gypsum to make the mold)

Ahh okay. What do you think of building it in a 3d printer and then coating it with this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Carbon-Fiber-3K-200g-m2-Fabric-Carbon-Yarn-0-28mm-Thick-Plain-Weave-Cloth/32309112929.html?spm=2114.13010208.99999999.262.JibQDP

with epoxy resin

So the enclosure would have 2 layers? It is certainly possible but it just doesnt make a sense for me…why would you make that, when you can put 2 more layers and have much better carbon fibre enclosure? If you want it to be cheap, then use just he 3d printed, adding carbon fibre will add costs…if you want a nice carbon fibre finish, than buy thinner fabric or the lookalike stickers, if you want an enclosure that will last, use just carbon fibre (you can make mold with a 3D printer)

using both material makes no sense to me, because making a carbon fibre enclosure wont be more expensive…

The idea was to make the enclosure with ABS 3d print. Then coat it in carbon fiber on both sides sealing it off completly. My worry is that with just 3dprint the middle could crack do to the flexibility of the board. But it wont with carbon fiber.

Im interested in the idea of only using carbon fiber. How did you accheive that? and what is needed?

I have never made one from carbon fibre, the fibre glass is more affordable, if you want a carbon fibre enclosure you will probably need just: Mold (with rounded edges), Crabon fibre cloth, Epoxy resin, gelcoat, catalyst, Separator… To make the enclosure clean and nice like in the posts below you would probablyneed a vacuum pump…It can be done with a simple hand lay up, but i wouldnt do that with carbon…Maybe someone more experienced might help you more…

For an inspiration seach forum…

That is great. But i think i will make it with 3d print 100% infill and then add carbon layer on top. The items are really expensive in Denmark where i live.

you can check my build. I’ve designed and printed dozen of enclosures in PETG. I’ve used a layer of glass fiber on the inside to reinforce them. Never go for 100% infill. Not even 50%. It’ll take up all the flex and structure to keep it rigid and tough… Post finish it with a heat gun to get the layer adhesion done.(kinda like annealing). I’d also go for min. 4mm wall thickness to get some infill in the wall too.

It’s a great build. I can’t however find the stl files. Where can I get them? And how did you get the surface so smooth with 3d print. And what thickness material did you use fr coatin

How can i find the curve of the longboard so i can make the right 3d file

lay a straight edge across the top of the deck, measure from the bottom of the straight edge to the top of the deck. Example, a 3/8’s measurement means you have a 3.8’s concave.

For folks thinking of 3d print and then adding CF/GF layer on top - just make sure it’ll stick. Most epoxy won’t stick to plastic. I can see using a 3d printer to make a mold, then using the 3d mold to layup your CF with vacuum for nice finish… but sticking directly to most plastics - i think it’ll separate too easily.

@MasterCho - the CF guru - can you confirm?

1 Like

Do you know if this will work? Hobbyking says it will work.

If you want to do CF/GF - don’t use epoxy glue - instead use a real epoxy intended for CF/GF. Thinner to “wet out” the fabric - not glue. My favorite (but most expensive) is West Systems 105 epoxy, and 206 slow hardener. I’d look for less expensive epoxy options in your area, but these are the top notch ones IMO.

Do you think the one from hobbyking can be used. The one you recommnd is way to expensive for me

All epoxy resin aren’t manufactured equally but one that I used sticks really well to PLA. Please make sure to clean the surface well before applying and I recommend using vacuum bagging which removes trapped air, compacts the fiber layers and reduces humidity.

1 Like

glue won’t work well. Can you get it to stick - maybe… but it won’t “wet out” correctly - saturate the cloth and get the fabric to stick together into one solid piece. You’ll likely have a thicker consistency w/ the glue and it’ll be “splotchy” with bubbles or voids which will make it weak/fragile or simply not work at all.

There are a ton of epoxies online - I don’t see where you are located to recommend one close to you (nothing noted in your profile Oliver). Jamestown Dist/Totalboats has a less expensive option.

I’d also look on amazon for a small amount that is intended for CF. I see some 6/12oz “kits” that are about $20-25 shipped for me in the US.

You might need more than 15min to work on.

Thanks MasterCho! I didn’t know PLA would stick - that’s great to know. What epoxy do you use?

As it seems like @nikoli280 is on a budget - i’m betting vacuum is out of the equation due to cost. I’ve done both and found for a simple shape - some foam and weights can do a good job compressing the layers to help instead of vacuum.

@nikoli280 - read through:

1 Like

I have been using easycomposites and West Epoxy System works great too.

1 Like