Electric Dual HUB Motor Disassembly & Performance

@justin Yes I use spray paint, but for sure it will wear out after several ride. So decided to buy a Rit Dye from the UK to dye the wheels because the Dylon dye that is available here is quite tricky to work with.

I am not going to try to ride this unpowered until I have it powered, I like the way it looks for now

You dyed the rubber of the wheel? I can’t imagine it would go beyond the outer layer though. Looks nice

No I spray paint it, which will go ugly for sure when hits the street. I have ordered a Rit Dye to test how dye can actually color these wheels.

Before I Dye them I will remove this spray paint off, it seems to peel rather easily.

This is how sweet it can be with painted front cover and a matching black urethane.

4 Likes

Looks sweet, but I think spray paint on the wheels isn’t a good idea. You will have no traction and the good look is gone after 20 km.

another website selling at unbelieveable price ! ! ! ! OMG ! ? ! ? ! some european website , and it says there lofty ambition on the deck .

https://www.aquacentrum.de/shop/electric-skateboard-tranceboard-motor-in-wheel/

Well there goes all my money. How can you put a price on safety??

From the website: “we can call the TranceBoard the safest Skateboard of the World. It should have been named Safeboard.”

1 Like

Expensive price right? I wonder if it’s not just lofty ambitions and they got a good translator. Finally a chinese company sheds its identifiable telltales and sells at the rest of the world prices.

Laurent how do the motors go? What esc u using? Ill be plugging mine in tomorrow’s haven’t been riding for a month.

how did you colored the urethane ? dyed ? also looks more appealing now . plus urethane , whole wheel is 97mm diameter ?

I havent got my esc from chaka yet, its on the way. Probably about this week it will arrive, but yeah depends on the shipping.

I have them spray painted atm, but I am sure it will get scrapped off. So I have a dye coming on its way to color them better.

For the diameter I havent measured it yet, its either 90mm or 97mm. I think its 90mm but I will measure it again.

So I confirm that it’s 90mm in total for the hub motor with wheels, not 97mm. I also confirm today that the hall sensor from the hub motor works, which is very cool doesn’t cog alot when I use small RC car esc.

Now it’s time to wait for the VESC to come.

@Hummie I’ve just run some test. With my lipo 24v setup it could draw 15A on full throttle bench test. After around 30sec of full throttle, it gets hot. Normally on SK3 motor it’s cold - warm, but this is quite hot. I don’t think this is normal, yet theres no load on top of it.

So finally VESC arrived today from @chaka. Wonderful quality, opened the box smells like I could get high on the coating. Overall bench test was great though I have abit of a problem getting bldc and firmware (apparently I have other bldc in my mac somewhere within some folders, so I kept using the old one over and over) :smiley: my bad!

So I’ve tested again my Chinese Hub Motor, actually seems pretty good with VESC on bench test.

Last time the hub motor went super hot being run with RC grade ESC, but the power of the hub motor with sensored operation was incredible. I am not recommending using this hub motor with RC grade ESC, because it will just destroys it. Not quite sure if it because I ran high timing, but it gets very hot after 30 seconds of full throttle.

So what happen with VESC? Runs very cool, quieter than normal single belt drive (I only dont like the high pitch start). Somehow I felt more power (because of VESC settings and dual motor setup I guess). Braking is nice and solid. Everything still runs on BLDC mode atm, so no FOC yet. Ahh yes I also would like to try the hybrid mode, I think it can also be a game changer (similar to the RC grade performance).

Finally the wait and the hub motor works, at least for the bench test :slight_smile: We will see how it performs on the real street! Also if I got the chance, I hope I’ll get this compared to @Hummie hub motor.

Would like to see these compared to Jacobs hub motors too

Today I’ve just got an hour of flat ground testing. Overall performance, Satisfied. Very satisfied!

I can hit 40km/h speed not hitting full throttle yet which is scary enough to make me chicken out. The motor seems to draw more amps than belt drive configuration, but the torque is forgiving (not surprising like belt drive) but still quite insane on acceleration from static condition.

The motor runs super cool I have to say this was my biggest concern of all, since the first time I tested it with RC grade esc. But with VESC, theres huge difference in performance and cooling. I simply love it!

I managed to do a little burn out on the hub motor urethane to have them round and balanced, now it doesn’t wobble alot anymore. Great!

Thanks to @chaka this VESC doesn’t die after 5 minutes :smiley:

2 Likes

Photos of the guts opened up. Note I am using tape and uninsulated cable because I am doing check and upgrades now, but they are installed when being operational.

Gona redo the wheels coloring with dye next week.

5 Likes

Well done. Very nice looking build. Everything looks so clean and tidy. And the black on blue is probably my favorite color combo. Good to hear you’re having success with those hub motors.

After full day ride about several kilometers, everything seems to be very cool and operational. I’ve managed to reduce the speed wobble on higher speed by sanding down the hub motor urethane on a flat surface. This makes them very round with less vibrations.

FOC mode doesn’t seems to work very well. So I’ve decided to try FOC mode and it doesn’t seems to work very well. It’s ok on lower rpm but when the throttle gets about 25%, the motor started to rattle from the inside quite hard. Not sure what it is but I do not dare to increase the throttle anymore.

If anyone experience this issue and have solutions, please let me know :smiley:

can you please do a hill test and show us the results?

Maybe the weird response when doing FOC has to do with how many poles the motor is. A high erpm