Electric Dual HUB Motor Disassembly & Performance

The detection went fine, but when it spins hard it started to rattle. So @Hummie how do you think I could solve this FOC issue? Btw the motor doesn’t gets hot anymore (after using VESC BLDC mode) which is great.

@broshi I will do it soon, hopefully within this week if the weather is great. I have tested it today for hill climbing, I have to say it’s pretty good if you’re about 60kg - 80kg weight with hill grade about 20 - 35. It can pull me on 30 - 35ish range but I have to kick push it once (at least get the wheels spinning for the VESC to catch up). If it’s 20 - 25 it can start from stand still but I got to push it a little because VESC won’t start pushing forward when the wheels / motor is going the opposite direction. So in overall not bad at all.

Until now the only 2 issues I have with this motor are:

1. Not working with FOC mode
  2. It wobbles on certain rpm due to urethane not perfectly round after being fit into the motor (I minimized it by sanding the urethane down)

Okay after sanding it down, the vibrations / wobbles seems to be minimised significantly but not cannot be nullified. After several analysis, the reason it can’t be nullified because of the softer 90mm 80A durometer. I believe this is not 80A durometer but 76A durometer.

If you look into this photo

You can see that the wheels are lock into place by 6 metal star pattern from the hub motor case. It seems that the difference in thickness of the urethane plays a great contribution to the vibration which is (if its true) hard to nullified.

Thats the reason why at higher speed / rpm this vibrations are not existing anymore because the centrifuge as well as the rotation are fast enough to overcome this issue.

I don’t know much about the vesc or FOC, just know I like it a lot. The only thing I can think of is how u have so many stator teeth and the fast electrical commutation necessary, but ur good on bldc so probably not the problem

The rubber I’m confused what ur saying is the problem. i cook my rubber up hot with my new motors and it starts as 83 duro and surely gets softer. If ur wheel S round to begin with I don’t understand how going faster would help and not make the problem more noticeable.

I still wonder about dyeing the rubber. Didn’t know u could do that

I would recommend to set the hub motor wheels with higher durometer than 80A, so 83A is a good starting point. Yes the motor is already silent compared to SK3 with belt drive, only the high pitch noise start up sound is the one I dislike alot.

Because if I just sit on my board while watching the wheels and the rims, I’ve noticed every time the section that has the bolt touches the ground it made the little bump. It happens for all of the stars for all wheels. I sand the rubber carefully with soft sand paper on high speed and flat equal surface.

Well the spray paint has gone completely, but I will try dying them with a multipurpose dye next week. It should able to penetrate the rubber urethane deep enough. I’ve seen it works for RC car plastics and wheels, so I am going to try that on longboard wheels. Would be cool to see it works.

those hub motors look strikingly simmilar to @jacobbloy motors…

But there not! Not made in the same factory or any thing! Jason tested these motors and was very unhappy with them! He tried to negotiate with Jerry the man in charge of selling these motors on alibaba but they wouldn’t make any changes to them sadly as with just a few simple changes they could have been great motors!

Yes Jerry wont do any changes for now. I need to order like 20 or more wheels just to get black wheels :frowning: For lighter person like me it’s a great hub motor, especially combined with VESC.

To be honest Jerry also sell the dual hub sinewave controller that uses the hall sensor to operate. Someone uses it and the performance seems to be very decent. Very silent operation only plug and play. The downside of this controller is that we have to use the remote that they made. Frankly speaking it looks horrible, but if someone make a 3d printer mod out of it, it could be a bargain. controller + remote 140usd I think (140 usd for the price of 2 FOC ESC + remote)

Yea we where looking at them for a long time even just the fact the tolerance isn’t so good on there motors they could fix!

But I really have no interest to be producing motors full Time so Jerry could be benefiting from us.

If any one has any money I will let them produce my motors I’m sorta over it lol!

thats a shame… they are nice motors, I have already had a few inquiries.

@lowGuido its just expensive and in studying and don’t have any money for big runs really the factory I’m working with has said i need to order 100pcs next time but i think then i could sell them for $240 a pair

Thats great if theres chance to lower hub motor pricing, since practically its cheaper to just use hub motor compared to dual belt kit + motors.

So if anyone wonder why the FOC is not running with this hub motor, this is a video that resemble the problem.

So today I just have my JST came in and managed to solder those Hall sensor wires, however when I connected it with the VESC and BLDC Tool, it doesn’t work.

Hall Sensor Detection Failed

I checked the wiring similar to the RC Hobby ESC I have and with that it works quite well. Not quite sure what is wrong at the moment If someone could help.

I think this is the kind you have…lofty ambitions type https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUjgNZtGFwg

@shilezi Yes something like that when cruising. But I have 2 VESC powering each wheels that uses high discharge lipo. They are alot more responsive on acceleration.

Yesterday I tested my dual hub motor compared to single belt drive motor with same - similar battery spec, similar weight 60kg’s and same ESC (VESC) all run with bldc mode. I have to say that the performance of single drive especially the startup torque is more aggressive and inside. Impressively due to belt drive mechanism is transferring power to the wheels, the wheels stays round so less vibrations occurred. Once hitting 15km/h ish hub motor performance accel significanty. They accelerate and they torque harder with higher top speed ofc.

1 Like

So here is a small easy ride video I have made with this HUB motor. The hub wheels are dyed and their colors remains after several kilometers without sign of wearing out. The sensored mode is detected and I have found one of the sensors were faulty, so I got to replace that later. FOC is still not working properly, but BLDC mode is really good enough.

3 Likes

So i am interested in this Hub Wheel that Lofty Ambitions is selling and i was chatting with Jerry. He told me that he has a new complete model and here are the specs.

What do you think about this model? same Hub motor but Orange color?

here is a pic of the board

how much is one board? I see maybe 700$ before shipping if they will sell you one. you can make a complete better board with 2 vescs and hub motors and better/bigger battery for less and it will have much more power and performance.

i got quoted $800 shipped. i have no experience in putting boards together or which parts to buy. You think this is a good buy?

Could you direct me to your site for your hub’s and parts to put one together.