Earn Cash | Become an Enertion Certified Build Expert & Reseller

@onloop Are you still actively looking for builders?

4 different style board builds nearly done with electrical engineering degree Background in business

@longhairedboy @trbt555 @psychotiller and anyone else interested in being a seller of completes; I used to own a small bicycle shop in the US, I ran it out of my apartment. I had to carry insurance in case someone took a repair from me and then got hit by a car. Even if an accident isn’t “your fault” in the US it’s common to get sued if there is even a weak case that your device\product was related. It can escalate very quickly and destroy your financial life. It’s unfortunate that this is the case, but it is still true. @onloop I suggest that you require proof of insurance for a business before you allow resellers to sell completes in the US. That’s what all bicycle wholesellers do here.

2 Likes

that’s actually a solid idea. I’ve been shopping for liability insurance for a while and haven’t been able to get anywhere with it, people either won’t return my emails/calls at all or they drop me in mid conversation. An LLC will protect your personal assets from those kinds of suits though. But if i can’t nail down liability insurance very soon, i’m probably going to have to suspend listing my own completes.

Also, i’m curious about how much liability can be shifted to the customer if these boards are shipped “some assembly required”, meaning shipped in a non-complete, non-rideable state. It would be trivial (for my builds anyway) to have the deck, front trucks, and rear trucks as separate items that have to be bolted together, then plug in three or six labelled wires and you’re good to go.

I’d rather not step back and only do DIY parts and pieces, but i will if i can’t get some clear answers on this stuff. I may have to pay for a consultation or something. blech.

1 Like

Selling a complete eboard can make you more liable for any injury that occurs. But it’s more to do with wether the product you sold was to blame for the injury. If you sell a kit that fails and it can be proven that the parts in the kit are to blame for the injury that occurs you are equally liable. So it’s more to do with how good your product is an wether you can prove it was or was not related to the product.

Liability can also be judged on the training, information and instructions you provide. Thats why every product you buy has warnings printed in the instructions manual. Have a look a any kitchen appliance instruction booklets to see the common warnings about death, poisoning and electrocution.

You can also limit your liability by getting the customer to sign a document that clearly lists the dangers and risks. That’s why when you sign up at any gym they make you sign something saying you could die.

When looking for insurance I suggest looking for insurance brokers and tell them what you want. They will find the insurer for you.

The other thing you might consider is forming a company, the company is its own entity and this will seperate your personal assets from any legal matters that might arise do to an injury claim.

Hot tips

1. Write a small list of the risk involved with using the product. Get customer to sign it
  2. Call an insurance broker and get liability insurance.
  3. Make some instructional video/documents showing how to use the saftey features. The brakes. Wearing helmets. Wear protective clothing.
  4. Form a company.

For all certified enertion builders you will get access to these documents and instructional videos etc.

Hi I was very intrigued by this post, I am currently in the process of building an eboard with VESC, Enertion Motor Mounts, and R-SPEC Motors, but am not using a the SPACE Cell battery, I am getting a custom battery; 36V 10Ah with battery indicator and reliable on and off switch. Would I still be able to complete the first step and become an Enertion Certified Eboard Builder? I am very interested in this and think that the Eastern United States would be a great addition for you!

If not thank you very much for your time! Jared

1 Like

I am interested for the NYC area market. I have two companies both fully insured (not cheap around here), one may be a good fit. Just have to check with my broker about reselling parts or completes.

1 Like

thats a lotta work . i only have a spare vesc and 5563 r~spec motor . and i havent even started wiring the vesc . its still naked . even the 63V capacitor is lying around somewhere . too busy driving uber .

I might be interested in covering the Seattle metropolitan area.

Thanks,

DougM

Well mate I am in Brisbane and if you up here I am happy to help out with whatever u need done including maccas runs .

Is this still a thing cause I am interested? I live in Arizona.