DIY Wheel Casting

The new version (and hopefully the last):

signal-2018-11-02-151316

This time the centre screws are mounted rock solid :wink:

7 Likes

nice work. How durable is the Resin you use?

that’s a good question, so far it looks good but I didn’t drive much with them. the two I already casted are not well centred and thus vibrate a lot. funny thing: when I drive rough roads the new sleeves are way better but on good ones it vibrates like hell (my glasses shake :smiley:)

2 Likes

lol ok. can you link your resin you used?

I used PMC 780 dry by Smooth On.

3 Likes

Really nice you! Now I am curious to see how long the PU will last. Good job!

The first acceptable version:

SAM_2327

I feel confident about them and have put the red loctite on the screws :slight_smile:

16 Likes

It looks sick! Super nice.

Looking great!!! Any wobble on the rotation? Looking forward to seeing this one age well !

No major wobble on rotation, no. When spinning the motors its almost as silent as with the original PU. I’ll try them on the road later today :slight_smile: The left wheel (right one on picture) I cut away a little bit too much making it a bit irregular but it should work anyhow :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So far everything works great. The ride was smooth, they definitely help with bad roads :slight_smile: One thing is a bit weird: When I put 100mm wheel diameter in Metr settings the readings are way off the GPS reference, with 95mm it worked.

1 Like

CooL! awesome to hear it’s riding well! What would you say is the duro’ of those new wheels? Are they soft and buttery!?

1 Like

they feel similar to the front wheels, they’re supposed to be shore 80A.

2 Likes

Nice job !

2 Likes

Bib enterprises sells better stuff. Less filler. Better rebound and durability

2 Likes

can you share a link, i just found other stuff on linkedin ect.

Duu. Bjb

https://bjbenterprises.com

Still room temp pour stuff. U might be able to get hot pour stuff somewhere which has even better properties but a lot more work

3 Likes

yeah, read about that :slight_smile: there’s a b2b reseller in Germany not far away from my place, someday i’ll pay them a visit. the stuff I use is available in smaller packages, better for trying :wink:

1 Like

thank you very much

@Pylonflyer runs a lot of the show at bjb. He’s here. an expert and very helpful and interested in this stuff