DIY Wheel Casting

So far everything works great. The ride was smooth, they definitely help with bad roads :slight_smile: One thing is a bit weird: When I put 100mm wheel diameter in Metr settings the readings are way off the GPS reference, with 95mm it worked.

1 Like

CooL! awesome to hear itā€™s riding well! What would you say is the duroā€™ of those new wheels? Are they soft and buttery!?

1 Like

they feel similar to the front wheels, theyā€™re supposed to be shore 80A.

2 Likes

Nice job !

2 Likes

Bib enterprises sells better stuff. Less filler. Better rebound and durability

2 Likes

can you share a link, i just found other stuff on linkedin ect.

Duu. Bjb

https://bjbenterprises.com

Still room temp pour stuff. U might be able to get hot pour stuff somewhere which has even better properties but a lot more work

3 Likes

yeah, read about that :slight_smile: thereā€™s a b2b reseller in Germany not far away from my place, someday iā€™ll pay them a visit. the stuff I use is available in smaller packages, better for trying :wink:

1 Like

thank you very much

@Pylonflyer runs a lot of the show at bjb. Heā€™s here. an expert and very helpful and interested in this stuff

Could you please link the actual stuff youā€™d use?

I canā€™t now but look for their 80 duro or 90 duro polyurethane. Iā€™ve used both the long n short cure time stuff. Itā€™s pretty good stuff. Durable. Not the rebound thatā€™s great though

1 Like

Oh, its not that urgent, whenever you have time/access :smiley: Iā€™m overwhelmed by their choice of materials and Iā€™m not so much into it. Some time ago I read from your posts of your pu experiment to use 80A for hubs and also that the stuff I use is inferior to the one from bjb :slight_smile: But i had to try it anyways since I have no use for a whole container of that (Its deteriorating quite fast afaik). @Pylonflyer Could you convince your boss to sell small amounts of that good pu? I got a one kilo set from smooth-on, thats about the size I can use. I wonā€™t ever produce the sleeves in a bigger scale :wink:

They do quarts

https://bjbenterprises.com/index.php/polyurethanes/castable/flexible/all-purpose/tc-680-a-b/

1 Like

Thanks a lot, I wrote an email to my local distributor asking for this one :slight_smile:

Next run:

First I had to get rid of the PU from the last bad try which was a fight :smiley: (which is good) SAM_2337 SAM_2339

Then the sleeves had to be carved a bit. The removal showed the importance of this so I did even more carving with the dremel SAM_2341 SAM_2342

I cleaned them with warm water and put them on the heater to dry SAM_2343

The mold and the centering hubs were sprayed with silicone spray for easier removal (dont know the exact term) SAM_2345 Put in the Sleeves

SAM_2346 Screwed the hubs on top, automatically centering everything SAM_2347 SAM_2349 Mixed the components (Part B, stir, Black Paint, stir, Part A) to get 360gr of PU (a little bit too much but next time Iā€™ll know better :wink: ) SAM_2350

@Hummie I just got a response from the european distributor, they canā€™t get the one you linked (dangerous stuff it seems) and suggest to use M-3180 A/B www.bjbenterprises.com/media/wysiwyg/M-Series/M-3180.pdf Did you try that also and if so does it serve the purpose?

9 Likes

Yea that one Iā€™ve used too. I didnā€™t notice much difference at all between them other than duro and cure time didnā€™t seem to effect much

1 Like

Have you tried applying a bit of baby powder to the mold? Itā€™s meant to help reduce surface tension, to stop bubbles forming.

2 Likes

not yet, havenā€™t heard/read about it yet, will check, thanks :slight_smile: My result will never be perfect, for that Iā€™ll need a vacuum chamber but maybe that baby powder will help a bit more. So far Iā€™m already happy with the result but it wonā€™t hurt either :smiley:

If u heat the resin a bit it will be thinner and less likely to hold bubbles. Stirring without adding air I bet I could get close to vacuum results. Iā€™ll use a very thin layer vasaline as mold release or coconut oil.

1 Like