Diy board first time

http://alienpowersystem.com/product-category/cnc-kit/alien-drive-complete-kits/are these any good maybe a new motor fitted…

I didn’t know they were. Can’t see any apparent reason for the 50s to be more expensive than the 44s. Afaik it’s the same truck only with a slightly different hanger angle. I bought mine for about 25 usd a piece.

They are more popular so more demand most likely. Same price usually, but i see the 44’s discounted every once in a while because old stock i’d guess.

I’d stick to 50’s even if a few $ more. better turn and less chance of wheelbite if setup properly.

Your requirements for light, plus range, plus speed are humorous, but i think folks have you on the right track now. I didn’t see you respond to [quote=“psychotiller, post:24, topic:28831”] Give me some specifics. Deck shape/style? Wheel preference? How much do you weigh? [/quote]

board shape will determine both wheels and room for electronics/enclosures. Weight is the biggest one to know since what moves a 140 rider vs 265lb rider (like me) will be very different.

And hills? I’ve been to parts of ireland it wasn’t crazy steep hills, but not very flat. Where you ride - hills or flat? If hills - how steep 15%? 20%? 25%+?

And before you say - cheap , light, fast, and able to go up 45% hills… go measure your steepest in your neighborhood and let us know actual vs expected.

GL!

im 6foot 2 and bout 13 stone. not sure on board flexible never rode a longboard before so going off yer advice…wheels same.guess im gettin the 50°s now

If you’ve never ridden a longboard before you might want to aim for less top speed and more range. I’ve been cruising for years now and anything more than 20 mph is really fast on imperfect roads.

50 Cals is a good idea. You could go with the Kegels (80mm) or the Abec 11 flywheel variety (83,90,97, and now 107 mm). Larger wheel will you a higher top speed.

Hey @stormboard.

You keep partially answering. I get it’s all new, but a bit more info will help us help you.

1 - Weight : 13 stone / 180’ish lbs - got it. Not too heavy for a single motor which is good (I’m 19 stone / 265’ish and ride singles often). You will want a 15mm belt setup.

2 - Deck preference. Pick one you like man. This is the best part of DIY esk8 - ability to take your favorite deck and make ti go VROOM! Go to daddies board shop and look around - i’d suggest the symetrical (easiest to fit bigger wheels like 83mm and larger).

3 - i’d go Flywheels if you can afford them. Clones if not. Most flexibility and most gears available. Kegels are nice too but more $ and only a few gear options, then locked into those wheels only. Vs ability to run 76mm-107mm (97’s realistically) all with the same gear.

4 - Hills?

GL!

1 Like

14 st 10 just weighed haha so lil bit more qeight

not hilly no…any uk links

Just good parts best bang for buck…A good board doesnt need go fast but still 20/25kmh and long nuff range

we can’t spoon feed you the answers… Figure out your battery solution and go from there. I’d look up all of the past esk8 builds on the forum and start getting some ideas. Shameless plug for my build (~$700)

You can save money on the deck and enclosure. You shouldn’t skimp on the batteries, motor, or ESC. Not sure if it’s easier/harder finding stuff in the UK (including the shipping / tax costs). Honestly anything with a decent wheelbase from Earthwing, JET, Bustin, Madrid, etc. is a good place to start (all of 'em are great boardmakers!)

If you only plan on going 25 kmh (15 mph) then you could go 6s… less expensive battery too, spend more on mAh. Turnigy makes good motors and lipos. For an ESC go with a VESC, you won’t regret it. GT2B remote / receiver is popular here too. Motor mounts can be dependent on the setup, but it depends on how much DIY work you’re willing to do

HTH and GL!

1 Like

If you’ve never ridden a longboard before my advice is get a longboard and learn the basics. you dont belong on a board that goes faster than you can run especially if you have no experience. Get in touch when you can foot brake and do shut downs.

1 Like

A good option is to build a complete from somewhere like Muirskate / Daddies and build it with the deck you want for esk8 (and Caliber IIs, flywheels / kegels if you can get them) so you can overlap the costs a little bit when the time comes.

doing research bro just have work thanks for the info

im quick learner man and far from scared off a few offs so thats all good. lot to learn on the build but going with so far a rigid board thinking downhill without the dip in the board for clearance, 50° calibre 11s ,not sure on 83mm abecs or kegels the kegels look expensive. not sure yet on the electectrics iv to find the timesit down and read up on the 6s/10s…vecs,focboxs,just the whole of the electrics…gettin there

sounds like a nice setup.was it hard to wire the 6s together in line

It was easy using 5.5mm bullet connectors

1 Like

got lot learn about electronics gunna have spend hour learn for the board…actually gettin a tattoo typing this

Couldn’t log in but sparky do the elec and mates an engineer

not sure what that means but how’s the tattoo?

1 Like

Tattoos doin well first one got a koi fish on myforearm its healin