Diy battery pack using Basen 26650 hi drain Li-ion cells

So Bestech charges about 50% less for shipping than battery supports and they ship via DHL express so it only took 4 days

3 Likes

Cool !! So how much did you pay in total ?

$ 136.50…

How is the welder working out?

What thickness nickel strip are you using? Are you using the welding pens or the tips fixed to the machine?

Tried to use the hand held electrodes but I couldn’t get enough power so I switched to the main electrodes. I used it on full power and 8 pulses to make sure the welds would hold over time with vibration. I used 0.15mm strips.

Thanks, the packing is looking good!

1 Like

Cant believe I started this thread a month ago and still haven’t finished the project!

2 Likes

Lol … Do it man do it

I dont want to spam the same thing over and over, but imo you should have at least a look at these current values for the nickel strips - these are evaluated for the typical nickel strip length of connecting 2 cells, so about 30mm. using longer strips makes things even worse, since heat losses just scale linearly with length.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68005

for your strips: 10A load acceptable, 15A poor, ie lots of heat!

I would add a few more nickel strip layers or help out with copper!

4 Likes

Funny, I thought nickel strips would be better than wire. Seens like everyone who is building batteries is using strips successfully. At least I didn’t go more than 4 cells on any strip. Putting the cells in parallel first and then in series. Also making the balance wiring simple and straight forward.

1 Like

I’ll have to keep an eye on the heat at first. Seems like the high internal resistance would the main cause of heat.

you can build batteries in various ways, it all comes down to how you design the serial connections. they are a problem in the typical flat layout that we see here for most boards.

I wouldnt run it like that, but not many think that way … either because they dont know better or because they dont care (waste energy into heat that kills your cells or might just fail eventually). guess you can get away with it because in most skateboard applications you have these rare burst moments and rest of the time people just cruise along with constant speed and fairly low currents (depends on speed of course).

guess you really CAN get away with it - most people dont seem to run their boards very fast - if you cruise around with 30kph, you probably only need around 350watt, ie with a 10S battery you pull quite exactly 10A current which is still ok with a single strip. the initial acceleration burst will dissipate eventually.

people who plan on pushing for more should put more thought into their battery though! for me it varies a lot - sometimes I feel relaxed and just carve along with 25kph, sometimes I run constant full throttle 45kph with constant braking/accelerating. my lg hg2 10S4P battery is getting to 40-45degree celsius with that kind of treatment!

1 Like

11 Likes

TA DAAAAA

9 Likes

Update:

I had to sand the bottom of my deck with a portable belt sander to widen the flat area to accommodate the wide flat enclosure. Of course, my graphics where ruined so I threw some black paint at it. It’s not perfect, but it will do for now.

7 Likes

6 Likes

@Namasaki

The struggle is real

Lol

4 Likes

That enclosure and deck looks really good. Is that enclosure your work? Are you going to have a separate access hatch for the ESC area?