Discussion about DIY vendors, delivery delays, communication, and transparency

I literally just mentioned all the notable US vendors that sell completes that most would consider “birthed from the DIY community”

I figured you would bite.

I bought a Boosted Board that I have had to send back twice with massive delays.

7 Likes

Some prebuilts are great, some are not. Same applies for DIY and DIY vendors who build completes.

A well known brand for example could have 100 out of a million with issues. As with a DIY build could have a couple issues out of a 100. I just pulled that information out of my ass but you get the point… i hope.

1 Like

If you intend to be a business. At least try to act like one. @Photorph isn’t alone in the way he feels about the vendors. I respect a lot of what they do but I also think some need to get their crap together. Being part of a company run by 10 people, you’ll never hear us give excuses as to why our shit isn’t ready or ghost on our customers entirely. That would burn our company to the ground given that our customers are government entities.

A chargeback should not be the solution, what if I paid with my debit card? The bank isn’t going to do anything about it. These businesses should be accountable for their shit.

That is my PERSONAL experience with SOME vendors. Check the polls on the vendors that won’t scam you list. It’s pretty obvious which ones have issues and which dont.

7 Likes

Fair enough. At least you are here Patrick. I know it isn’t perfect of course, it is the route taken by photodude.

10 people in a business is not tiny. I own my own business as well. These are literally one man shows that people beg for products from.

2 Likes

Age is irrelevant here, I’m old enough to esk8.

It isn’t completely irrelevant. But I know you are a grown up.

1 Like

thanks for your concern about my bedtime! I actually worked overnight on call, so I got off at 7 am :frowning:

Off at 5 am myself. Early night off for me

Since @Sender mentioned names, I guess I can explain more.

I’ve bought from 3 companies who stemmed from DIY builders, and have spoken to 4.

1. @longhairedboy - back in 2015 or 2016. I was his FIRST customer, and I raved about him (you can ask him). He was and is a cool dude, made me crack up all the time. He’s honest and tries his best. I did have issues with his board, it was shipped back to him multiple times by me and the person who I sold it to. The guy I sold it to is still riding it. The reason I include LHB is because I think his boards need to be built better, if no one else is going to say it I am. His other customers have messaged me about their frustrations, and I kind of feel guilty in a way because I’m the one that recommended LHB to them. So LHB is the type of guy I would hang out with and be friends with, but I also have to be honest and include the fact that most of his boards end up back at his shop multiple times for repairs. A few of his customers have sold their lhb boards after a lot of frustration. One guy messaged me about how he put so much time and effort into it and in the end he gave up esk8 because of lhb.

2. Carvon: I don’t even have to say anything here, no personal experience but you will find many many people who haven’t gotten their boards. Jerry has stopped all contact with them, and just not replying to them. These are people who trusted him with 1000s of dollars of their hard earned money, and in return they get years of waiting with no response. A chargeback does not always work, in that sense he’s basically scamming them. Seems like he wants to have a negative reputation?

3. @chaka - My old friend Ollin, where the hell do I start. It would take a 10 page essay to talk about the lies here. But I’m not he only one. I have 3 of his other customers who will corroborate the exact same story I have. In fact the main impetus for this thread was one of this customers contacting me and telling me what has been happening to him. Then another customer who basically has a paper weight now. Forget about him as an esk8 builder, he may be a great and an innovative one. I’m not denying that. But let’s talk about the lies, and just doing whatever he feels like. He refunds people he doesn’t want to sell boards to, or strings people along for months and months. He has delivered about 3-4 boards, and I believe 2 of them are hardcore fans of his and he helps them out all the time. He upgrades their board, etc etc. Everyone else is just waiting and getting lies. I don’t understand the business model. Don’t sell stuff if you only want to give it to certain people, and definitely don’t lie. Seriously Ollin are you trying to burn your company into the ground???

Here is a company doing business the right way:

-Lacroix: extremely professional, deliver their boards, boards are high quality, and they are honest and responsive. The GOLD standard, why can’t all you other vendors just do business the way they do?? How hard is it to not take years to deliver things, to be professional and honest to your customers, and be responsive rather than ignore them? This is so rare in this DIY gone to selling completes, there should be more than just Lacroix here. But since it is rare, I would have paid twice the price of my lacroix to get it because there is no competition on professionalism and service. And this is why as you all are already seeing, lacroix will be the most successful company. They already have more sales than chaka or carvon and they are the newest. I wonder why?? hmm.

I’ve also heard positive things about Kaly, but no personal experience.

At least now you aren’t talking about the DIY community as a whole. Thats an improvement I suppose.

All I did was mention all the Vendors.

@OllinBoardCompany @longhairedboy

How you had it before, it could be anyone including @psychotiller and @Kaly. And if you think that doesn’t effect them by burning DIY altogether with your beat around the bush shit, you are mistaken.

You think these dudes are rollin in doe or something? I know what they charge and I know what it costs to make. And there isn’t much difference there.

3 Likes

Key part of this is “He gave up” His choice.

5 Likes

why do you talk about not naming ppl bc you dont want to fuck up their livelyhood

and then you post this lol… weakest thrash ever :laughing:

e: rlly isnt my business just thought it was funny :slight_smile:

index

10 Likes

How many times will you ship your board back and pay for shipping/parts? What else could he do? Keep spending money on it, getting it fixed…then having it break again after 20 miles?

honestly, I’m just tired. People are PMing me asking for which vendors. People here are telling me to name the vendors. And a lot of ppl who have been here a while already know all this. I’ve been on this forum for some time even though I haven’t been active in the last year or so.

Learn. Fix it. Find closer help. Video chat with someone to hold your hand.

5 Likes

Dude my Boosted Board is still fucking dead. After shipping it back and forth. Thats after paying $1400 for a mediocre machine that is next to impossible to work on.

Maybe learn a little something about the stuff you are buying so you can help yourself? I mean shit dude these things go fast as hell a few inches off the ground, you honestly think you will never have to do maintenance or make slight modifications?

3 Likes

Well 3 things:

1. I sold my LHB rather than trying to learn it. I’m not the one who is wanting to fix things, it’s his other customers who did. They didn’t want to learn, they bought a complete board to have it work w/o it breaking down.

2. uh, I never got a board from ollin after waiting a year so I can’t learn much about that.

3. people from carvon pre-orders who are mad…well they are down about 2 grand each with no board and no word from some Jerry guy they keep ranting about, so not much to learn there.

Basically it boils down to if you want things done your way do it yourself.

I wouldn’t want to offer these services to you guys on here because there is a bit of a blur here between corporate business and friendly “one of us” sort of thing. Also its not just DIY builders that have these issues… look at Enertion themselves, open or empty promises, delays, component issues - and these are guys that have chucked serious money into RnD! These boards are high performance machines and we subject them to a lot of abuse, they are going to break down.

7 Likes

Would you buy a custom built Restomod 67 Mustang GT and not know how to change the oil?

Methinks you might.

7 Likes