DIRT MACHINE | Trampa Holypro 16 ply | Vertigo trucks | Superstar hubs | Unik Polaris 6374 150kv | E-toxx black direct drive | Vesc 6 | 12s

Arrived home after work and checked my mailbox…

Fiiiiiishpaper :hugs:

230718h

Another thing, for those who wonder why I always wear the same trousers here why

155522h

Seems it needs more treatment than washing this time :laughing:

11 Likes

Nothing what duck tape can’t fix :relieved::joy:

5 Likes

Thanks for the hint so I don’t need to stitch :joy:

The video is finally finished and uploaded :grin:. It starts with the jump where I cleared the table for the first time and leads to footage of day 2 in dirt park. Hope you enjoy it…

I only had 3 fails (at the end of the video) which is quite impressing for myself. But I had a good feeling this day otherwise I wouldn’t risk anything. There are days I’m not in the mood or able to jump so I just don’t jump or if I try to then I quit because I know I would only hurt myself. Riding is also fun on such days. So the tip of the day: only do a thing when you have a good feeling about it because you don’t have to do it and tomorrow is another day.

17 Likes

Another great video. You’re clearing those jumps so nicely and smoothly now. What does your board weigh these days? You seem to be able to throw it around pretty well, but I’m sure most of that comes from experience and conditioning. I’m working on putting a light weight, high power, short range board for hooning around and jumping, but I’m not sure what a realistic minimum weight would be. It seems like 22-24lbs (10-11kg) could be attainable, but maybe still challenging to hit that?

3 Likes

Thanks a lot! It is a great feeling clearing it after 2 years. I increased the height of the jumps in very small steps to get a feeling how the board reacts while flying. I think the most important thing is to land on the wheels after a jump and not on your ass, back, shoulder or head. Crashing after landing on at least 2 wheels is not that bad compared to lose control in the air. I always hurted myself when trying to increase the skills in a bigger step, small steps usually doesn’t hurt.

16kg (35lbs) :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Me, too :sunglasses:, except high power (which means more weight).

I try to achieve between 11-12kg (24.3 - 26.5lbs) which is not easy. 10kg sounds like a dream.

6 Likes

Dang. 16kg is pretty hefty, but fairy normal, I guess. I think that’s around where mine is at. Even more impressive you can air it out like that though. :muscle: Keep up the good work, bro. :metal:

So, 10kg. is the goal, huh? I’m gonna shoot for that and see how close I can get. Gotta start weighing some components. I’ve got some MBS trucks with 9.5mm axles, that are probably a little lighter than the 12mm ones, but I’m concerned about their strength and bending axles. Only one way to find out though. And I’m hoping the 12s 6Ah 65c Graphenes will provide all the power needed without blowing the weight budget.

1 Like

magic in the making! lighter and faster with only enough juice to blast off the mega ramp. I believe in you guys @rich awesome footage bro! you are lucky to have access to the perfect foundation! such a dope playground!

1 Like

When are the backflips coming?

1 Like

Thanks :blush:! Yeah the main problem is speed, often it’s not possible to ride faster before hitting a jump to get more airtime. The parks are made for bicycles and the tracks/kickers are often too narrow so it can be even a challenge to reach the kicker at proper speed. Furthermore I think I’m at the limit stability wise and need more dampening for higher speed in off-road conditions before take off.

That’s why I ordered stiffer elastomere damper elements in 90A (the original black ones are 70A). Well, big mistake because it’s impossible to steer, I mean zero you just lift the opposite wheel :laughing:. Perfect for setting a new high speed world record with channel trucks so if this is your plan I have something for you, for me it’s useless.

Anyway with the E-Toxx retainers you can add pre-tension on the elastomere dampers which helps but unfortunately I have no access to the rear ones because of the enclosure. On the other side I only had stability problems with the front truck so adding pre-tension there could be enough, need more testing. But when not jumping high I prefer without pre-tension for the good steering.

Probably never, I’m too old (41 years) to break my neck :laughing:

My next goal is a 360 which is not easy because of the extra kilos on the rear truck for rotation. Also every fail hurts a lot so I’m not really motivated especially not in dirt park. Also even a 180 is tricky for me there because the rotation kills the speed. And I don’t have yet the balls to try that with bigger speed and airtime. Here is the only 180 on tape from last summer

My 8A charger arrived, it is huuuuuge but it works (not like the 4A which came broken, had to fix it)

10 Likes

Welcome to the 8A charger club :+1:

3 Likes

That is a BIG charger. I never realized just how big these are.

Do you use the inner or outer truck holes for the elastomer dampers?
I have the trampa version which is the same as e-toxx use them on the inner holes as if I put them on the outer holes it is almost impossible to steer at low speed.

1 Like

My trucks have outer holes only but that’s fine for MTB. I can do very tight turns at low speed but only with extreme lean which is a lot of fun. You can also get tighter steering by putting more of your weight on the front truck, that helps a lot.

dampers1a-gif

8 Likes

@rich how old is the hawk, bro?? old guys rule, means we have dad strength. preprogrammed in our DNA. once you hit 27 you get increasingly stronger until 50 then it all falls apart… you got 9 more years of upside down lifestylin… we need access to a foam pit. bottom line. my wife would be pissed if I broke my neck lol.

1 Like

Some progress on the 12s6p. But this Sikaflex is not my friend, it’s getting dry so fast. If you order it then don’t forget to order 10 additional tips. When you want to use it again the sikaflex inside the tip is dry despite proper sealing. After using it 2 times with 2 fresh tips I couldn’t even get something out of the tube because the tip had a small crack. Last option was to open the aluminium can with a metal saw :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

201553h

Cutted strips of fishpaper. For those who don’t find fishpaper online, it’s called insualtion sheet/paper/gasket.

010039h

Parallel packs insulated for serial bondings.

011635h

4 lines of Sikaflex for maximum strength using a 20ml syringe.

175844h

Also filled all remaining connections/gaps on the side with Sikaflex.

184850h

Gluing done, squeezed a bit in shape for curing the next 48 hours.

184831h

9 Likes

You probably know this but just in case: Don’t forget the fishpaper rings on the positive poles.

1 Like

Those pants need fishpaper protection too

2 Likes

Sikaflex is horrible to work with :joy: don’t forget to buy a pack of one way gloves as well if you plan to work with it. @rich you can buy sikaflex in flex tubes which look like sausage :sweat_smile: image advantaged on it, you can just cut the 1cm which gets dry and than continue to work with. Disadvantage, you need a special pump to use it, or just use plastic sticks to apply the sika on the place you want.

2 Likes

I can understand how a 360 is damned near impossible given the mount/motor weight at the rear, battery no problem in the middle

Maybes at some stage you split the motors front and back? That way less slow pendulum effect perhaps who knows you’re pretty much alone on these big jumps on this forum anyway

4 Likes

I won’t forget :v: :sunglasses: just wait until I cut strips and spot weld, hopefully in 1-2 weeks.

Interesting info for Lipo orders from Hobbyking. 2 years ago I couldn’t order from UK warehouse to EU but now it works and a 3s 5Ah 65-130C Nano-Tech is on the way :grin:

Haha didn’t know that :fries::beers:

True, I mean with enough airtime everything is possible but I don’t have the balls for this kind of russian roulette. So the weight on the rear truck and the overalll weight should be reduced to the minimum.

Actually I’m building a light weight jumping board mainly from Trampa spare parts with cheap stuff below 12kg (26lbs). Maybe it won’t survive the maiden ride/jump. I think in 1-2 months it’s ready to rumble and I’ll post a new topic then, for now a teaser:

Planning to try that with the board for jumping vs. dual rear. I guess the balance is better in the air but not sure if it makes a big difference for rotations but of course there must be a difference. But lifting the front or ollie gets harder :thinking: And forgot to mention the motor plates are 3mm stainless steel and should be connected with crossbars otherwise they bend. But maybe not if I just try it once or twice :laughing:

6 Likes

Yeah you need thicker mounts that way mon frere, looking forward to what you come with

2 Likes