DieBie JTAG 12s BMS | Gauging Interest | NONPROFIT

@pantologist 150EUR insurance @TVE nope @Brad thanks, noted

I would assume 12s5p at 3,000 mAh will still be read accurately as that would bee 15 amp hours, same at the 10s6p?

Sure, thats exactly my battery: 5p x 3000mah = 15amp-hour.

I have 10s3p LG HG2 9Ah. I chose 10 Ah in the poll.

And I have Paypalā€™ed you :slight_smile:

@fedestanco will you contact us via mail how we want the transportation, or should we just write you it here?

Should we just send you money, or will you calculate and tell us after we decided how we want it sent?

650 watt hours is my cap right now. Sorry, i missed the part about volt meters. This includes one or includes the terminals or screen for one or what? Iā€™m lost. Just got back from lego land and decided to load @Ackmaniac 's vesc tools onto my board and am fiddling with the whole ā€œi canā€™t detect anythingā€ thing that i saw people complaining about.

@Steve-81 My preference is that you pay via paypal and tell me your battery type via PM/paypal message/email. Anyways a broadcast email will follow in the next hours.

@longhairedboy you will have the necessary cables both for the lcd and the fancy switch. The LCD module you need to buy is this one: oled display

just bought a few of them. Do you need shipping money right now or what? i can shoot you some cash if you need it.

I think this LED display will go over my front truck. Should nicely match the one on the remotes.

Thereā€™s a free Keil MDK-Lite version available. It has some restrictions, such as a maximum build size of 32kB. Just in case anyone else was curiousā€¦

DieBieMS\DieBieMS.axf: error: L6047U: The size of this image (39396 bytes) exceeds the maximum allowed for this version of the linker
Finished: 0 information, 0 warning, 0 error and 1 fatal error messages.
"DieBieMS\DieBieMS.axf" - 1 Error(s), 0 Warning(s).
Target not created.

:confounded: It was surprising easy to get it all installed, setup, and building. Removing the CAN library saved all of 500 bytes. You could grab a 7 day trial license that removes this restriction, but itā€™s not a great solution.

Will send you through an email with my battery pack details. a123 (LiFePO4), so the numbers will be a little different to most.

1 Like

@fedestanco Might want to use BCC instead of CC when sending mass email. I have been getting replies to you from other people :slight_smile:

Not too sure if BCC will stop mass replies to all recipients or not. I reckon it should.

ā€œCc means carbon copy and Bcc means blind carbon copy. For emailing, you use Cc when you want to copy others publicly, and Bcc when you want to do it privately. Any recipients on the Bcc line of an email are not visible to others on the email.ā€

2 Likes

This is very helpful. Have you received other people personal information like address or something?

@fedestanco - I added myself to the buyers list of the DieBie 12s BMS.

I may have contributed to the email problem. Working in a cubicle farm has caused me to develop the habit of hitting Reply All when i receive emails to multiple people.

No, no personal addresses at all. I sent you a PM with a screenshot of what I see.

I paid up Rico, thanks

1 Like

Hello all :slight_smile:

I guess you are all as happy as I am, that our DieBies will be on their way in the near future :slight_smile:

By the way @fedestanco, I got some replies too, but hey, I think we are a good community, and we all make some mistakes sometimes :slight_smile:

As soon as I will have some spare time, I will have a look in the firmware. Iā€™m really curious what can be done with this masterpiece.

Maybe we should start a DieBieMS programming treat, maybe we have some ideas nobody else thought on, and someone has the ability to make it work. On the end we would have something even @JTAG couldnā€™t imagine to be possible :slight_smile:

An we should build a sculpture to honor him :smiley:

2 Likes

I believe their is a jtag mention on the pcb always good

Hi guys!

See my update in the DieBieMS topic: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/diy-6s-to-12s-bms-with-can/2639/220

Ill be uploading the latest firmware tommowow, pinky pwomise!

(I will also reply to my PM tommorow, sorry for the wait :sweat:)

2 Likes

@fedestanco just paid up for shipping, and sent through a fresh email with all details (shipping address, battery details).

After downloading the free version of Keil I received a follow up email from the local distributors. As stated above itā€™s an expensive (for bobbyists) application, here a 1year license comes in at around 2300AUD and thatā€™s the cheap version.

Yeah, or possibly use JTAGs other development thread. Until thereā€™s consensus Iā€™ll just keep dumping my findings here.

Tried a few other things to get the build size down under the 32kB limit of the free Keil license. The build process generates a .map file that contains much useful info including the compiled size of different componentsā€¦

Thereā€™s 4 printf function calls in the entire firmware, all contained within the modMessageQueMessage function. Removing them drops the build size by around 2kB, but you loose out on debug info :unamused:. printf pulls in a bunch of other dependencies hence why 4 lines of code contributes so much to the build size.

The largest single component of the firmware is the 7 logos that indicate state on the oled screen. Dropping this down to 3 allows the application size to come in under the 32kB limitā€¦ but thatā€™s not really a solution. Instead Iā€™d probably resample these images from 128x64 to 64x32 (before and after examples below) and keep them all.

Iā€™ll probably fork JTAGs repo and make these changes just in case anyone else wishes to build the firmware with the free version of Keil. It does involve a fair amount of compromise though, and not just the above hacks. Longer term youā€™ll always be limited by the build size; adding new features would very quickly push it back above the 32kB limit. For the community to pickup firmware dev I think weā€™ll really need to move onto another development stack (Eclipse + GCC ?).

TL;DR You can compile the firmware including your own custom pack configuration with the free version of Keil, assuming you are ok with some compromises.

1 Like