Diagnosing a Clicking Sound

I have a clicking sound that I can only hear from one motor at low speeds. I have taken everything off a couple times now but it’s still there. I will look again tonight but I have a question.

When the motors are attached to the motor mounts you can push the motors from side to side. I noticed this a long time ago but the clicking just started so I don’t think they are related but wtf do I know. Is this normal or do I need to do something to stop the sideways movement?

Also, the motor mount screw that sits on the inside of the belt will not tighten all the way. I put locktite in, let it sit for a day then rode around. After this ride is when I noticed the clicking. Do you need to use all 4 motor mount screws or are 3 enough? FYI I took it out and the clicking was still there. It’s the only screw that doesn’t tighten so I’ll leave it out if it doesn’t matter.

loose magnet? maybe (not sure)

or it could be just fine as others have had this mysterious clicking too and used their motors without any problems. @b264

1 Like

Some pictures would be good, just to get a feel for your setup.

Sometimes it’s something as simple as a bearing spacer being too short and needing a shim

1 Like

Its a stock evolve gtx with 107mm wheels. I’ll have to take my time with it tonight and see what I find. I’ll make a short video of the clicking sound.

I still need to know if 3 motor mount screws is enough or do I need to keep using locktite on the one screw that won’t tighten. I think the motor screw shaft is stripped.

Oh and what about the lateral movement of the mounted motors? Is that normal?

For Evolve? Hate to say it but anything is possible. Lets get those vids and pics when you get a chance and there’s some pretty smart people here who will be able to help.

0117191725a

The clicking is being caused by this horse shoe shaped ring attached to the motor shaft. Its not sitting right. Is this fixable?

Its a circlip, its probably just damaged, get a new one from pretty much any large hardware store. Use snap ring pliers to remove and replace, or small needle nose and a tiny flat head.

1 Like

Well that’s a new one for me. Love you guys! Lol

Thanks man!

1 Like

So do you know what size circlip I need?

Also is it possible to remove the damaged circlip without removing the gear? I’m having difficulties with my needle nose pliers and flathead screwdriver

It’s a 8mm shaft, @mmaner does that mean its a 8mm circlip?

Yes sir, it does. I think @JLabs and @torqueboards have them.

What about a 5/16 inch ring? No metric rings at Ace.

Metric on amazon, next day delivery

Welcome to the USA. When a place has no metric, you get on the world wide web right in front of them, and order what you need online. Then leave.

1 Like

Yea but I like wasting money on wrong parts. Amazon delivering circlip pliers and rings Saturday.

Thanks again!