DAVEga: Battery monitor, odometer, speedometer

My kit arrived yesterday (only 13 days after ordering it)! Screens from Aliexpress will get here on Monday.

Flipsky has davega for $35!!! Are you a part of this @janpom?

Read up in the tread. Already been discussed here and brought up on a sister thread here! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks bud! Hard to keep up with all the posts sometimes

Ken from Flipsky actually got in touch a few days back and offered a small donation from each sold piece. They will also be sending me a sample for feedback. I’ll keep you posted.

33 Likes

Please do! I love this forum and all the wonderful people in it!!! I will feel a lot better ordering one if I know you’re getting a small cut. I will wait on ordering until then :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Great to hear!

Papa did I do good? Display shows stuff!

IMG_20190425_210823

Hm. Gulp.

IMG_20190425_210812

Aaaah okay! :slight_smile:

This is my second arduino thing, with the first being “blink”. I even burned a bootloader. Thanks papa @janpom for the gentle introduction to arduino. I don’t feel guilty anymore for watching AvE videos. :slight_smile:

bootloader + firmware + display tested, I can get to soldering.

Ha I just noticed the PSU is bumping the 100mA limit I set. Gulp I had it set to my board’s charging voltage at 53v when I plugged it in – thankfully with output turned off. Seems to run at about 125mA at 5v.

4 Likes

Non-contributing leech here, checking in for science:

image image image image image image

Need to read thread and set up, brb.

14 Likes

Interesting. So there’s both 7pin and 8pin connectors? That seems unnecessary since the 7pin can be plugged into the 8pin port just fine. @Arzamenable, does it look like that when you install it on your deck front tip the wires will reach the VESC?

1 Like

I got mine from Flipsky today

Definitely feels like a return to “old” flipsky styles. Stuff in a bag, wrapped in bubble wrap, in a plain brown box. Gets the job done for sure, but I thought we were turning a corner with the VX1 remote (branded packaging etc)

Case feels robust. I don’t have much experience with 3d printing, but if this is a 3d printed part I would be comfortable using more 3d printed parts in future builds. I always expected 3d printed stuff would feel kinda like hot glue after it sets. I kinda like how it’s this neutral, matte white. Looks and feels like it will be easy to customise with paint.

The case is not able to be easily dissembled. I wanted to take photos of the internals, but I’ll need to wait until I’m home and have the time and tools to carefully prise it open. Maybe there’s no need since @janpom will receive his test unit soon. Also there’s this video on their website now which shows the internals from 3:21:

Pretty bummed to find out I need a FTDI232 serial converter to load the firmware. I haven’t really been following the DAVEga development in detail, so I wasn’t aware of this. I don’t mind the extra step, it’s just it wasn’t super apparent from the flipsky site. Since I ordered they have updated their site with an option to include this with the purchase. It would have been nice if in good faith they sent the converter out with earlier orders. Now I’m gonna have to wait for a converter to come from aliexpress.

It looks like the guts are an ATmega328pIf I can get into the case, is there any reason why I couldn’t just load the firmware via the micro usb on that board?

Here’s a photo of the instructions that come with it:

Pretty sure this is powder based SLA printing. It’s maybe the most cost effective way to print if your doing short run production because there is no supports and you can fill the entire print volume with parts stacked on top of each other. Downsides is it usually only comes in white and has a rough sandstone like texture that may not be appropriate for some applications.

4 Likes

DAVEga and Unity… Working in perfect… Harmony

And because I’m sure someone will notice: I already updated to v1.0.1

10 Likes

Good for you. v1.0.1 is the best DAVEga FW version. Everyone should upgrade to it! :smile:

3 Likes

Ahh one hiccup I ran into. I’m getting battery data and tripometer data but no speed feedback when throttling. Where shall I start investigating?

Check your wheel size and gearing settings.

Hm… but the trip distance meter functions correctly? Does it get incremented at expected rate or is it more like if you were traveling below 0.5 mph?

In the first photo I posted I was on 1.0 firmware and it was logging that trip distance and amp draw. After the update, it isn’t responding. Most likely something I did in the settings. I’ll report back in a bit.

Speaking of Unity, has someone figure out how to connect DAVEga to the unexposed UART port (in lieu of the bluetooth module)?

That’s what I’m doing. Let me see if I still have the pinout somewhere

Oh nice! Did you need to do firmware modification to the unity? I think that’s what Sofu had to do but for a Feather remote not a DAVEga