DAVEga: Battery monitor, odometer, speedometer

No, sorry. :smiley: That wasn’t meant to sound dismissive. I just don’t understand it. I was trying to imagine how it would work. Considering your Dave is mounted at the tip of your board, completely out of your hands reach, would you seriously try to press a button to get a lap time?

1 Like

Probably by just clicking start and then deducing the time taken to start (applicable for races) but not fully accurate. Maybe via detecting like metr does ?

No hurt feelings :yum: Yeah lap was a bad term to use. I have a big loop around my lake I like to ride and would like to generally time how long it takes (not concerned about stop and start time). Most people have it on their phone already though or their watch.

I’d love to get Davega synced into a remote somehow

Since it was mentioned ~ If we want to add a remote connection into this too, I’ll be needing someone to DIY up a CAN bus splitter or Multiplexer (has to be active from my understanding)! Need to connect bluetooth, remote, and the connection between the 2 vescs… Would love to be able to add in a lighting controller too :wink:

2 Likes

Awesome! Time to update my davega. I still need to make a cable/adapter so I can program it externally and not take it out of the case.

I’ve done 430 km’s since installing the davega and loved every ride with it. :heart_eyes:

The data I most use is average voltage and speed. Since I ride 1p lipo I like to keep a really close eye on average voltage, the only thing that is little annoying is the font is a bit small to easily read while riding

One other mild annoyance is the speed when its changing color, I can see the color of the number scan across left to right, which can be quite distracting. If you stay on the color change speed it can flicker quite a bit. It’s like a colorful strobe. I don’t think you can change that though? I think that is just how the LCD works?

3 Likes

Let me just say first that this request is just a nice to have and I don’t think it should get any priority.

It would be called something like “commuter mode” and would combine a trip counter with automatic trip reset on full charge, or 2x full charge if you charge both at home and work.

Before the davega I used to do a trip counter manually with a marker on my battery enclosure. The reason is so I can calculate how many “trips” X “saved taxi money” so I can justify spending more money on eskate parts. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Or help with wifey negotiations. :thinking::rofl:

My previous trip counter. :wink:

I have not updated my trip counter since getting the davega as I have distance traveled now, but I don’t really have a trip counter anymore.

*Edit. Just updated to 0.5v and the text page is looking much nicer!! :+1::eyeglasses: Can I make a suggestion, put the numbers on the left side, then the text label on the right side. Also some instructions on how to customize the text page inputs, took me a bit of trial and error to figure it out.

There is one big feature request that I REALLY want and have been waiting for since the beginning. Max battery amps Min battery amps Max Motor amps Min Motor amps

If davega gets this it pretty much does everything I would want it to do. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

8 Likes

I may have a solution for you. :wink:

4 Likes

:smiley: image

4 Likes

Can I haz linky link? @janpom is this LCD going to work with current firmware?

1 Like

Here’s the link, but no, it won’t work with Davega. I actually purchased it to experiment with micropython on ESP32 since there’s no micropython library for the ILI9225 driver (used on the standard Davega display).

This one should work with Davega out of the box, but it’s 2.2" so only 10% bigger than what we normally use.

LOL. I made exactly the same purchase, only a few cents cheaper. :wink:

3 Likes

I was going to build DAVEga myself but thought a bigger screen would be better. Of course would have to modify the firmware. I already checked that there are Arduino libraries for ILI9341 chip.

1 Like

Sounds good. It shouldn’t be that hard. For the most part, you’ll need to add a custom implementation of the DavegaScreen interface. The only problem is that the init() method currently depends on the TFT_22_ILI9225, but that could be fixed with some code refactoring. I wanted to do that anyway since I’d like to support the small 128x32 OLED display for “Davega Mini”. I’ll try to prioritize this so that you can reuse as much code as possible. Contributing back to the Davega repo would then be much appreciated.

6 Likes

Sounds good. I’ll make a pull request when done.

2 Likes

Like the sound of the mini…

Maxi v6 :smile:image

10 Likes

@mishrasubhransu I have done the refactor. It’s in the display_refactor branch.

As a quick exercise, I tried implementing a very basic screen for a SSD1306 based 128x32 OLED display. Here’s the commit. It should give you a useful template for implementing the ILI9341 screen(s). I hope it makes sense. Ignore the changes in davega_util. Those shouldn’t have been a part of this commit. Feel free to get back with any questions.

Here’s some pics from testing:

IMG_1672

Small HW hack (putting the NC pins to a good use) :wink:

IMG_1673

6 Likes

Tested it last night, I think it’s a big improvement over the previous version. :+1::sunglasses:

The instantaneous values are not very useful though, I can’t read them while riding and are gone when I stop. Though they could be useful for bench testing / dyno testing / or if you mounted the davega in go kart or something like that where the screen is close to your face.

The non - instantaneous values work good and provide useful information. It is cool to check on mosfet temp when I stop at an intersection. Capacity is quite nice to check at the end of a ride.

IMG_2438

6 Likes

I think an absolute ride max and a rolling max(max in 30 seconds or so) are valuable information.

Remaining capacity is nice, nicer is an estimate of ride distance left based on the average Wh/km. The new VESC app does that.

I modified the labels and put the numbers on the left. :smile: I think its easier to read if the numbers are on left especially if your comparing two similar items, like motor amps and battery amps.

IMG_2448

6 Likes