DAVEga: Battery monitor, odometer, speedometer

I’m feeling so left out of all this!! Still waiting on my screens…

2 Likes

I still cant get mine to work :sob:. It powers on and shows the initial screen, but all I get is the flashing red dot and no VESC connection. I uploaded the standard 3.4 firmware to a pair of FocBox’s. Didn’t change anything. I’ve double checked my VESC cable (JST 2.0 7 pin). Any ideas what I should start looking at? I’ll post some pics tonight when I get home.

1 Like

Got a picture of your wiring?

I don’t, but I’m pretty sure its good. Ill post pics when I get home tonight.

Only time I had the same issue was when one of my wires between the board and the Foxbox broke. So I now goop on some hot glue around the connectors.

I haven’t even mounted it on the board yet, In fact the display isn’t even soldered to the PCB yet. I didn’t wanna do those until I was sure it worked.

1 Like

So, unfortunatelly i have less time as i would like to have for our davega, but I started today with the first things. I changed the colors of the wires in the jst plug which goes to the vesc. As i will try it out First with a focbox i looked up deep into my diy case and found one last 2mm 7pin jst :pray: for the focbox side. image

Soldering can be done only on the weekend, but as min now everything ready for it.

I had some 2.5mm standoffs for pcbs and they perfectly fit as spacer between pcb and display. (Ok i needed a bit of drilling the holes out in the pcb… but besides perfect fit)

Is it ok if the pins from the displays are open like on the picture?

I also not sure, in my set there where 4puttons. On the pcb only three places to solder them on. Is it just one spare or do I need it later as Boot reset or something like this?

1 Like

Have you selected UART and set the baud rate to 115200 by chance yet @mmaner?

3 Likes

My screen shipped from aliesxpress at the end of last week. So everyone, solve all the problems so by the time mine gets here, it will be nice a documented on what not to do for me!

2 Likes

Same here haha

1 Like

Yes sir :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tx pin going to Tx, Rx to Rx?

1 Like

I assume so, Ill have to check and see if I reversed them or not. If I remember correctly, I tried it both ways.

I have two FOCBOXes now that @brenternet sent to me along with his Vera build, which I was kind enough to accept as a payment for the correctly branded Dave (though I still feel like it’s a bit insufficient given the complexity of the re-branding).

I’ll test the Dave with focboxes over the weekend and let you know if I find any issues.

5 Likes

I am running the latest @Ackmaniac firmware so it is not the firmware I don’t think.

I got the DAVEga temporarily mounted in my lunch box for its first real world test. :grin: Bit of tight fit, looks like a fire hazard. :flushed:

2 Likes

Yes, looks good.

The fourth is just a spare.

1 Like

I have a bug :spider: report. Mine will freeze if I pull too much amps. If I go really slow it does not freeze and not on the bench with wheels spinning free. Even on brakes with high load it will freeze, tested from top of hill. The only way to unfreeze is to reboot the vescs.

IMG_1538

I am using the master horizontal version. So I am going to change to the V0.2 version and see if that is different. If not I will try the DAVEga in a different location. It’s probably something to do with my setup being so crammed in will all the wires so close.

6 Likes

Dear Luke,

Thank you for contacting the DAVEga technical support. I understand your Dave freezes when you pull too much power from your electric skateboard. My name is Jan and I will assist you with the problem.

First off, I want you to know that it makes me happy personally that you have lent us time on letting us know regarding this matter.

I have filed a support case for your issue under the number 000001. Please use this reference for any further contact regarding the problem.

Before I pass on the issue to the development team, let me try to get more insights. Could you please confirm whether you have tried turning the DAVEga off and on again without rebooting the VESC?

As a temporary workaround, you could try going slowly and not use your brakes. Alternatively, you could push your board around to further reduce the power drawn by the VESC and prevent the freezing issue. Please let me know whether this is an acceptable workaround.

Luke, I highly value the trust that customers like you place on us. Rest assured that we strive to provide you with excellent service.

Thank you for choosing DAVEga.

Sincerely, Jan P. DAVEga Technical Support

28 Likes

Uahh customer service bots.

Yes turn board on and off to reboot. Everything off.

4 Likes

Seriously though, this sounds like a hardware problem. What kind of VESCs do you have? Maybe the 5V power supply from the VESC gets unstable under high load. I haven’t encountered this specific problem myself. I do remember that my Dave once started behaving strangely when my batteries got very low. First I thought that was a software issue (some overflow/underflow related to unexpectedly low value of the battery pack voltage), but I haven’t been able to reproduce it, so I think that must have been a HW problem as well. It didn’t really freeze though. Rather, the screen got distorted.

Maybe adding an electrolytic capacitor as a power supply buffer would help.

Could you please first try whether changing the location helps?

Also, I understand it completely freezes. The little green/red square doesn’t blink, right?

2 Likes