DAVEga: Battery monitor, odometer, speedometer

That looks great! I can’t wait to get one printed.

1 Like

@mmaner How about mounting the base plate to the deck using the bolts that hold the truck? Is that a bad idea? You wouldn’t need to drill extra holes to the deck.

I’ve done that in the past with voltmeter enclosures, the almost always break. I’m happy to make recessed truck bolt bases if anyone wants them tho.

I see. If it almost always broke, it’s probably a bad idea. Let me try the base B then. I think I’ll need bolts with smaller heads. The diameter of the ones I have is 12mm. The holes in the base plate seem smaller than that. Is that right?

yeah, they are 10mm. I can’t make them bigger or they overlap, since Im trying to allow for old & new school patterns.

Makes sense. No problem at all. I’ll just get smaller ones.

i can make you a model for whichever truck mounting type you want with 10mm holes, just not both.

No worries. It looks like the current will fit just fine and if not, I can always make it fit with a little bit of filing. Thanks for the great work!

2 Likes

No worries, glad to help.

1 Like

So I can assemble 4 Daves per hour. Probably won’t make living with this. :smiley: It’s very satisfying though.

IMG_1520

15 Likes

So, im having an issue. I cant seem to get any communications. Ive tried 4 FocBox’s (well, 2 of them are VESC-X’s), I’ve swapped the TX & RX pins a few times. Still nothing but the red blinking dot. Any ideas? @janpom, any insights?

IMG_20181116_192533 IMG_20181116_192526 IMG_20181116_192538

1 Like

@mmaner Assuming the FocBox pins are 5V, VCC, GND, ADC1, RX, TX, ADC2, you have the wires swapped on the picture. The connection should be:

5V - 5V GND - GND RX - RX TX - TX

The pin labeled RX on the Dave PCB goes to the TX pin of the MCU. In other words, it does not label, which MCU pin it is but rather which VESC pin you should connect.

Since you mentioned you swapped the wires a few times, this is probably not the only problem.

Some questions:

• Which FW version are you using on your VESCs?
  • Do you have the UART communication enabled?
  • Is the UART baud rate set to 115200?
1 Like

BTW, are there only 7 pins on the FocBoxes? I have 8 pins on my ESCapes and I’m including only 8 pin JST PH connectors in the kit. It looks like that won’t work for some people.

1 Like

Vesc4 designs including focbox have 7 pin. Vesc6 is 8 pin.

Escape also reverses the pins compared to original vesc6.

Fun stuff.

1 Like

I believe I’m running v0.1, but I’ll need to check that. The baud rate is 115200.

Yes, most v4 VESC’s use a 7 pin just 2.0, I think all of them do. A lot of people use a 6 pin and skip the AD2 pin.

I’ve got a funeral to go to then drive to Pennsylvania to pick up my kid. I likely won’t be able to get back to this until Monday.

Yes, that’s the Dave FW version. It’s shown on the display. I asked about the VESC FW version though. Do you have the latest one (3.40)?

1 Like

Ahhh, no. I’m running 3.54 on one and 4.02 on the other, bit @Ackmaniac.

Aha! That might be the problem. I don’t know what changes there are in Ackmaniac’s FW. I’ll take a look at it.

1 Like

@mmaner You don’t happen to have a VESC with the standard FW, do you?

1 Like

Not at the moment, but I can prolly make that happen when I get back from PA.

1 Like