Custom Plywood Deck with Lid for Jacob Hubs

Made a little progress today. I decided that I don’t want to glue the enclosure to the deck as I might need to have full access later on and also just want that flexibility. I used screwed inserts and countersunk screws. Since my goal is maximum stealth I thought about how to hide the motor wires. Decided on drilling a hole in the truck baseplate. Next is probably going to be a channel on the bottom of the deck in which the wires are placed. The idea is then to cover that channel with a 3mm thick carbon fiber plate by sinking it into the deck (similar to the lid on top) and use the existing screws from enclosure and truck to hold it in place. That way I can still access the wires and the carbon fiber could compensate the loss of wood in the deck.

4 Likes

this will be a kick ass !!! URO style !

One step closer

5 Likes

A bit to fat for my taste, but cool project :slight_smile:

This is awesome. Thanks for posting all these pics. Can you tell me how much the board weights with batteries ?

No idea. Will be abe to tell once everything is finished. But it won’t be super light :smiley:

1 Like

would you consider selling this kind of deck once you’ve perfected the process or is it too early for you to start thinking about that ?

Beautiful!

Well the files are already uploaded and you could theoretically get it made by any wood working shop. @ajaynagra got a quote for like 67 bucks - that is a very good price. Just keep in mind that I had to change quite a bit from the uploaded design - next thing will be wire channels for example.

no doubt. So far it looks great. I will be watching this thread for updates. Thanks ! Love that it is all wood.

there is going to be a little carbon soon :wink: The wire channel will most probably be covered with a removable carbon sheet sandwiched between trucks and enclosure.

now you lost me. lol. Still awesome…

https://youtu.be/BjJrPzoXaeI

I used the same system … it’s nice compliments

I really wanna try a stealth board like this for my next build. I am watching this thread closely. I love the idea and really wanna try it. Maybe the board my neighbor wants me to build.

1 Like

Are there any advantages to using one motor to drive both wheels, instead of 1 motor to 1 wheel?

Hardware finished - tomorrow I will install @Ackmaniac’s firmware and try FOC

7 Likes

Is that the Magsafe port?

Yes 10characters

Just changed to FOC and holy shit is that quiet. I flashed the @Ackmaniac firmware again to minimize potential errors. Let’s just hope the enertion VESCs (recent USA batch) don’t blow my DRVs :worried:

@Ackmaniac and @jacobbloy: in the manual that came with the motors it says to change the Observer Gain value to something between 60 and 100 - I set it to 80 now. The BLDC-Tool calculation however only returned something like 13. Do you know what happens when I change that number?