Configuration and telemetry for VESC [iOS, Android]

Yeah i tried with another iphone and an ipad all on ios 11

1. Check that you have baud rate set to 115200 and UART enabled on your VESC
  2. Check that your android phone is not stealing BT connection. Shut it down.
  3. When you power on the VESC, the LED on the module should blink (1 sec ON, 1 sec OFF) Fire up metr app and click Scan. When you find the module and select it, the LED on the module should stay always ON. At this point all should work.

Does it help?

1 Like

Gonna try and will get back to u. I have not any trouble to find the module and connect. Just I don’t recieve any data from both of my boards.

Unfortunately by mistake I have sent some modules that are not properly initialized and can not be found in the app. For those of you who made an order after October 1st there is a chance you got a faulty one. Please contact me via PM or email to get a replacement. I am very sorry for the inconvenience.

2 Likes

Hi @rpasichnyk, any chance You could compile latest VESC Tool version for mac os? I keep checking Your github but latest update is from 24th september. Thanks in advance :wink:

You are welcome https://github.com/rpasichnyk/vesc_tool/releases

1 Like

Oh man, You’re lightning fast at this :joy: THANK YOU! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, is there any way to get the app to reject spikes in speed caused by wheel spins? I love both the apps but the max speed and also to some degree distance are inaccurate for me…

Thanks

Activate prefere GPS option is location settings :wink:

What I like to do is enable automatic records. Before you start your run, pick up the board and give it a full speed test (unweighted) to check for any issues. This will start the timer for the record start. Then jump on the board and go

2 Likes

I am gearing up for the anniversary update and would like to give you a sneak peek of the two big features :slight_smile:

• modes :snail: :rocket:

• brand new user friendly overlay tool :projector: :projector: :projector:
7 Likes

That looks great. Can you make the overlay tool exporting just the overlay on a green screen? like the web tool? reason for this is that i would not like the tool to re-compress the video. It would be nice to have the tool and configure overlay/ride and just export green screen footage to be later overlaid by the user in other apps like FCPX.

@rpasichnyk quick question: i got your module and app and i have a few questions/problems:

1. How do you calculate percentage for battery? How many volts is 0%? Also, can we set it up ourselves, rather than just input battery type and S number (or even read bat cutoff min from vesc and use that?). Apart from that, discharging is not linear so it would be nice to be able to apply a curve to have a more realistic percentage indicator. I think somebody posted an example of the Evolve discharge curves but I’m sure we can find some for 18650 cells for example.

2. The Perimetr app doesn’t seem to read values from the second vesc. It detects I have two vescs and reads the settings from the first one fine but when I select the second one and click read, it times out / errors.

3. on metr.at app can I save a ride data without the need to upload to your servers?

Thanks!

@egzplicit good idea, thank you! I will add export option with overlay only and transparent background.

1. I use following discharge curves. First value is 100%, last value is 0%. At the moment it is not possible to change them, but let me know if the curve for your cells differs too much
 lipoCurve: [4.2, 4.13, 4.06, 3.99, 3.92, 3.85, 3.78, 3.71, 3.64, 3.5, 3.4]
 liionCurve: [4.2, 4.11, 4.02, 3.93, 3.84, 3.75, 3.66, 3.57, 3.48, 3.39, 3.2]
  1. Check that your VESCs are connected with CAN and they have different ID. I recommend setting ID 0 for master and ID 1 for slave VESC and connect BT module to the slave.

2. Yes you can. Connect your iPhone to your Mac and copy JSON records via iTunes File Sharing

4 Likes

@rpasichnyk thanks for the reply.

It would be great if you can add that export option. One thing to keep in mind is that it will need to render at different resolutions / allow you to select them. Some people shoot 4k, others 2.7k, others 1080p. It’s gonna be a great tool to use, thanks for all the work!

1. It’s great to hear you already use curves. I just use Samsung 30Q (standard around here I guess). I’m not sure how the curve should look like but isn’t 3.2v high for 0%? I think most people use 3 volts as cut off (some even lower like 2.8).

2. They are CAN connected and master is 0 while slave is 1. I have the BT module connected to the master, could that be the issue? I’ll plug it into slave and give it a go. It clearly detects both VESC (both buttons appear inside the app) but when reading from the second vesc (second according to the app) it just fails. Will report back after connecting the module to slave.

3. Oh cool, I forgot about that and never checked. Great!

@rpasichnyk sorry to bother you.

I want to use your app for tracking information for my custom ebike. I got the Vesc 4.12, newest bldc-tool version with the FW 3.31 with an HM-10 connected to it. BT connection works with another app. But when i try to connect with metr it doesnt show me any devices on the Bluetooth connections in the app configuration. I tried it with my Pixel and also with an Iphone 7, It doesnt find any Bluetooth devices at all. Is there something i forgot to adjust? I got all set to uart and adjusted the baudrate.

Thank you for your time and effort

Metr uses a proprietary BT module to support the developer and keep everything consistent. Your HM-10 won’t work

Ok thanks for the information. Ill try to set the baudrate on my hm-10 and try it then but i dont think ill spend more money on a second one just to get it work with one single app

Hi sorry, I’m newer user here ! Just received my module :smile: thanks a lot @rpasichnyk Is metr.at and perimetr working with the lastest version for V6 FW3.32 ?

I read you advice to connect it to the slave, any particular reason ? It was alway to the master before… I do same before to read you. I will try also !

EDIT : ok sorry it worked with metr.at !! After a new reboot all my both v6 by wizard it woooorrks !!!

1 Like

I just see it’s a new FW of fiew hours old :blush: Permietr seams ok too but it don’t connect my slave actualy What is the advice about connect the module too the slave itself ?