Configuration and telemetry for VESC [iOS, Android]

I want to buy a vesc and your module

@Esrapp21 the video overlay will be ready on the 26th of March :seedling: @GreenF0X you are welcome to buy my module at https://metr.at/shop. I don’t sell VESCs.

Any info on adding local logs? I don’t want my ride logs online but I’d still like to be able to access the data from a pc @rpasichnyk

Does this work with the vescx?

My metr connects but displays all zeros?

@barajabali Need to set your uart baud rate de 115200

1 Like

@barajabali If 115200 doesn’t work like @Blasto said, try out setting the baud rate to 9600. That’s how it needs to be for @Ackmaniac app to work. Worth a try.

1 Like

Thank so @Blasto and @SeanHacker I will try it out

Hello I just found out about this app, is there anyway to use it with my already installed HM-10 bluetooth module?

I’m willing to cover all license fees but as I’m located in Lima Peru shipping from USA usually takes 1 month so I’d like to see if there is anyway to make this work on my currewnt setup.

@PXSS I checked and it is possible to achieve what you want with iTunes file sharing. Once I find some time and add required changes to the code you will be able to access JSON files offline. I think it won’t take too long. @barajabali it should work with VESC-X. @Eboosted I will PM you soon.

1 Like

I got several reports from people (thank you!) describing the same problem. Basically, at some point bluetooth communication stops and the data on the chart looks flat. The last several days I’ve been trying hard to fix it and I have good news. No more flat outs :grinning:

I need to do a little more testing, and will publish an update soon!

Looking to buy 2 modules if you add the offline feature;)

1 Like

I have one of these installed in parallel with @evoheyax working well simultaneously readouts on dual Carvon v2.5. Very happy with both. Question is, I will be testing dual VESC 6 next, would be gread to have R/T readout and logging capablilites for beta testing. Any of the VESC loggers, your or others planning on supporting VESC 6 in beta?

1 Like

I am very excited about VESC 6.0 and it is very high prio on my list of things. The goal is to support it as soon as it comes out. I keep contact with a person who is in the VESC 6.0 beta program and he kindly offered his help with the testing. Everyone else is also welcome to report bugs. I do not recommend writing settings or doing motor detection with perimetr app on your fresh VESC 6.0 before I let you know it’s no risk. But using metr should be safe. It only fetches realtime data and motor configuration and doesn’t write anything.

1 Like

Hi,

I think I found a problem with metr.at when using it for a long ride, it doesn’t seem to keep the phone awake.

Do you think I need to keep my phone awake from time to time myself or is my setup wrong? (look at the following ride after 9:50 am), I tried an open source vesc monitor for iOs by @gpxlben ( https://github.com/gpxlBen/VESC_Logger ) and that kept recording

https://metr.at/r/tsD5H (mkv3 - carvon v2.5 dual vesc 10s - monitoring only 1 vesc)

Anyway cool, it works both on ios and android, is it web based? (cordova or similar?) - In that case maybe these two links for the power management API can help (android) - (cordova) or maybe that is an issue only on my setup you think?

thanks

1 Like

Hi and thank you for reporting this and even providing the solution. I was aware of the sleep problem on Android but I didn’t think there was such a simple workaround as PowerManager.WakeLock. It seems to work, I tested 40 minutes and the phone kept recording (without WakeLock it timed out after around 25 minutes). I pushed the updated version to Google Play, please test it when you have time.

1 Like

Fixed:

Many thanks!

I would like to get the motor current as well as the input current, I think is an interesting data to have to gauge acceleration and braking but probably is not needed by default (I agree it can be confusing and very near to the input current sometimes) or maybe it’s generally not needed at all and everything is perfect as it is :smiley: (you already did a great job as it is I think) .

1 Like

I would like to summarize a lot of small fixes that I’ve recently made to the metr app and the website:

• There were some problems with bluetooth connection. Sometimes the app did not reconnect (especially when in the background) and even worse, after reconnecting it could not parse incoming data. After fixing the problems I did a lot of torture tests, moving between two rooms covering my phone with the body (it blocks even better than walls :smile: ). Disconnecting for a long time, then for a short times, disconnecting then almost reconnecting back, but body block in the last second, no matter how hard I try to break the connection, it always comes back online now :rocket:

• During my tests I added a small blink to the connection icon. It blinks every time the app receives some data from the transmitter. I decided to keep it since it looks kinda nice.

• I enabled iTunes file sharing for offline access to the records. If you don’t want to upload the data, it’s your choice. But I bet you really want to because web view became so much better :sunglasses: (more on that below).

• I want to thank @makevoid once more because he posted a really long record (55 min). It almost hit the limits of the web view. Rendering was taking about 5 seconds which was like forever, scrolling wasn’t smooth and I got a little bit sad and decided to rewrite the whole thing. I threw away heavy Google Charts and replaced it with a simple HTML <canvas>, which turned out to be super-fast in comparison. I also splitted up the axes and distanced them from each other a little bit so they don’t intersect that much. In my opinion this helps to increase readability.

• If you take a closer look at the short summary of the ride in the middle of the screen you will see it got a nice addition - max temperature. And even better you can now click on the values and immediately see that particular moment when and where that happened.

• The last thing is about chart scrolling. First, you can now do it with your mouse, hold Alt and scroll the mouse wheel. Second, if you try it on your phone you will notice it now supports momentum scrolling. Slow scrolling is no more.

All the changes I mentioned are already online. The next big feature that is coming very very soon is OVERLAY.

6 Likes

nice work! really!

1 Like

@makevoid We did an over the air update and automatically billed your iTunes account. You’re welcome. (the record actually has the motor current. I added this a while ago, I remember @hexakopter also asked about it. But the last piece of code for displaying it was missing, here you go)

2 Likes

awesome! Thanks