Cheap Ass 6x2 Pneumatic Belt Setup. 3D printed Pulley/ Vex Versa Pulley. Thingiverse link in post #534

I’m still very new to 3D printing so I’ve got no idea what that even means, I’d have no idea if I have an all metal hotend

What is your printer model?

Tevo Tarantula, I got it prebuilt from some random guy on Facebook so not sure if he’s changed anything

If it still has the tube that feeds the plastic (bowden system) I wouldn’t go to such adventures as printing in PETG…

Stringing is a mess to remove and also you can’t really print at 250-255’C to not melt the teflon tube inside your heater.

Of course still having a bowden+full metal (saves your teflon tube from heat) I managed to print some nice gears:

By then I just upgraded my printer to direct feed and never seen strings of plastic again.

4 Likes

Just to put some food for thought out there… Has anyone thought of what happens if you get a flat on the rears? It’ll be a bitch because it needs full disassembly just to get at it…

I just thought that maybe if spacing/integrity permits… To drill a hole in the pulley where the bolts go into the hub adaptor… So u have some direct access to it and than the pulley and adaptor remove as one unit…

I mean… You should be able to take half of the rim off as is… It’s the nylocks outside the rim. You remove the hanger bolt, remove the 3 nylock nuts and take one part of the hub off. Pulley, second part of the hub, etc. stays on. Change it and ride on after doing everything in reverse.

I’m not talking about the 3d print you all got…I’m talkingabout with the vex pulleys

Well in that case no idea.

Situation seems kinda… Vex’ed and not so much Versa’tile.

I am so sorry.

1 Like

The pulleys look awesome(given that they are in petg). I had a lots of stringing until I changed filament. What direct drive did you go for? Can it print nylon. I have an ender 3 BTW.

These gray ones were printed with PETG at 250’C on my pre-conversion anycubic mega i3 ultrabase which had a ton of stringing on bowden. I have extremely better looking ones printed on my Prusa Mk2.5.

I have converted my anycubic to prusa Mk2S(e3d v6 full metal) extruder because I had all the parts leftover from upgrading the before mentioned prusa Mk2.5. All I had to do was to modify the carriage model and print a BLTouch version of the hotend mount. It prints better than my prusa now because of custom firmware and TMC2208 drivers. I don’t need more than 4 pulleys atm, so I haven’t tried it. But smaller models look just amazing. :smiley:

And yes it can print nylon and polycarbonate if I desire.

2 Likes

I know this sounds like overkill, but I carry a spare wheel with the vex attached for blow outs… I can’t be arsed with a long time at the roadside so I’ll swap out the wheel with whichever has a puncture and fix it at home. I can use the pulley wheel on any corner to limp home (I know there’s an even chance of having the tyre backwards, but it’s going to get me home).

1 Like

I didn’t even buy any spare tubes… xD If everything goes to hell with punctures, I might fill the inside of the tire with something.

Use bicycle puncture tire liners in these bad boys, it’ll prevent half your punctures.

3 Likes

How are these called? I can’t find them in local stores. Just puncture liners?

Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Tuffy-Bicycle-Tire-Liner/dp/B00MCKB5SM?th=1&psc=1

But the generic aliexpress ones work well too

1 Like

I will go ask around locally. I mean unless they decided to sell tires/tubes instead of prevention… :smiley:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bjPSUZID

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bQj35SSH

Lacroix sells with 5 wheels and 3 pulleys exactly for this purpose :clap:

2 Likes

That first link should fit perfectly onto the other rims everyone has been using?

Both should fit