Charging on the go

Ok so that volt meter does work. I wonder why @chaka said it would unbalance it eventually…

They’re all over ebay, keywords “Lipo Alarm”.

Theoretically the range should be the same. 10ah x 22.2v = 222 watt hour/ 22.2= 10 Mile range 5ah x 44.4v=222 watt hour/22.2= 10 mile range But current draw: 2000watts / 22.2 v = 90 amp 2000watts /44.4 v = 45 amp

Really? Have you some photos of that test?

That sounds that everyone should better you 12s because it has the same distance AND better torque?

no, not really. same distance, twice the price, slightly less current draw. more torque would draw more current, so thats altering the equation. see the thing is, none of these number stay constant in the real world so you cant make any of these assumptions. if you run higher voltage you also run lower kv motors so you end up comparing apples and oranges.

There is an 8 cell alarm with an oled screen that does unbalance you pack. The el cheapo led models don’t really draw enough current to have a large impact on cell discharge.

The 8 cell monitor has been pretty well documented on the sphere.

I personally no longer use voltage alarms. When you have over 700 watt hours of capacity all you need is a total voltage display and a bms.

1 Like

Wow! 700 Watt hr. lithium ion? Voltage? What’s the current max for the BMS your using?

10s8p li-ion, I think the bms I have on my personal board cuts out at 90 amps. It is way overkill for most riding but you get almost no voltage sag. I now max my boards out with a 10s7p pack, leaves more room for electronics.

Sounds like a great setup! And overkill is way better than being under gunned. Nothing worse than having to carry your E-board uphill.

1 Like

Ok cool. Thanks @chaka for correcting me.

not much point going under 3.6 as there’s barely any energy left and if you keep at that voltage you battery will last much longer.
here’s how much energy is available at each votage 4.00V–84% 3.96—77% 3.93—70% 3.90—63% 3.86—56% 3.83—48% 3.80—43% 3.76—35% 3.73—27% 3.70—21% 3.67—14%

the vesc seems to have two voltage cut-offs…one that drops available power a lot and then the final cut off. I set it to 3.6 and find when I check the voltage immediately it will have sunk much lower, but then a couple hours later it will bounce to 3.6

so thats why 1 of my cells dropped down to 2.43v while the others were at 3.76…