Changing to 80mm motors

I have with these.

Havent driven that much yet but i can’t give full power as the board “disappears” under you. I have 2 of them with Etoxx direct drive 1:5 gearing and 100 max motor amp to each motor

2 Likes

I read something about a noise problem

The epoxy between the magnets hold the magnets better in place. As i experience that the magnets get lose easy on aps motors this will fix that issue. If you have a high pitching noice a an specific rpm it could be that one or more windings are lose. If you epoxy the windings too that issue could be fixed with it as the epoxy holds everything in place. I can’t promise you anything as i don’t know from where your issues really coming, but it is a good and easy way to start with.

1 Like

Ah okay, good to know. Thank you :smiley:

1 Like

Good luck :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yep… This is mine : https://youtu.be/yxok02O2vSM

@JensSjogren Yeah… I moved on to turnigy sk8 aswell… They work perfect…

That harmonic noise, I guess it wasn’t a one off either iirc there was another member with the exact same issue

Power wise was there a drop over the 8072 APS?

@hyperIon1 are these sensored? What’s the hole pattern sizes?

I have never driven with the APS. Bruno took them back.

1 Like

thanks good to know about this

Most of Maytechs motors have an uncensored model, but the price difference is minimal. for the 8085 hydro they only come without sensors. the esk8 version has sensors. For the Hole pattern, it is the same as standard 6374 motors with the addition of the second set of mount holes for the 50mm series (maytech mounts)

1 Like

Hi Jens!

Did you finish your swap to 80mm motors? I am now in the process myself and wanted to check if your results are satisfactory.

Hi, yes I did. First I went with 6384 for a time, then I upgraded to 8085 motors but one of them shorted due to phase wire insulation melted when I was riding during a hot summer day, APS doesn’t use silicone wires, which is pretty stupid imo. I moved on to 80100 motors that I mounted in August.

I’m going to compare them quickly here

APS 6384 130kv on 1:4 (70A battery, 80A motor) Pros: Great acceleration, very good energy efficiency at 18 wh/km riding at high speeds, runs cool. Cons: limited top speed at 50 kph on full charge

APS 8085 200kv on 1:5 (70A battery, 120A motor) Pros: higher top speed at 60kph+ and similar torque as 6384. Cons: they get hot, very very hot!

APS 80100 180kv on 1:5 (80A battery, 140A motor) Pros: stupid torque, would send me flying in an instant without the bindings, decent top speed at 55kph Cons: they are heavy af, big increase in consumption at around 25-30wh/km, needs to use axle extensions to fit them with etoxx gear drive, has a tendency to rip the motor mount loose (installed a pretty ugly crossbar to solve this), they get kinda hot.

6384’s was great in every aspect, I’m basically to stupid to settle for anything I guess.

In summary I think the 8085’s wasn’t worth it, obviously couldn’t handle the rated amps and wasn’t that big of an upgrade compared to 6384’s

80100’s are for sure a blast and they are very very powerful, not sure what I prefer though, the range I got with the 6384 motors (60km+) or the power of theese, currently getting around 40km with my 12s9p 30Q pack. They also make the board bigger and more clumpsy, I can barely jump over curbs, make 180’s etc with the weight of the board atm.

Kinda miss the 6384 motors, when theese break I’ll definitely dust of my old assembly

4 Likes

Great information here!

I heard about the aps quality and decided not to go for it. I went for the maytech 8085 160kv sensored sealed. They are being shipped atm.

I ride in hot environments and had my 6476 160kv overheat constantly. I heard that bigger motors will mitigate the overheating. Hope to get some torque increase as well.

I think the KV was too high on your 8085, but I guess you wanted torque increase as well as top speed increase. I am satisfied with 50kph. Just want that crazy torque and the motors not overheating if possible :sweat_smile:

My APS 80100 130KV get less hot than Turnigy SK3 or SK8 190KV (12S).

Hey Guys, any updates on your 8085/80100 motors? We ware building a 2WD board with MT 6396 170KV , VESC6.6 and 12S12 30Q battery atm. What would be a good alternative if we are not satisfied with the performance?

i believe maytech has 8095 motors? top quality, but also top prices

Yes got them in. Looks great. Had them running already on the workbench only though today. Now I need to shorten the motor wires. I struggle to solder the motor wires to connectors. The solder won’t stick to the wires. Haven’t had this before.