Changing to 80mm motors

No one that has first hand experience regarding the 8072 motors?

@Riako has experience with the 8072. Maybe @Silverline too but i‘m not sure anymore.

And some more just search for aps 8072.

I would also recommend to search on YouTube for the motor. You should find some interesting videos

Too late :cry:

I bought it and it seemed to work fine because the only battery I had was a 4s, so I never entered the RPM region with issues. By the time I built my 12s and started getting issues I couldn’t return it :frowning:

If you are not overheating you can up the amps. The current you can draw is only limited by heat, as more current = more heat. There is people running 140 amps per focbox here. :sunglasses:

The max possible motor watts at that current limit with the max limitation of the focbox removed is still under 5000w, I don’t see why you would want to waste money on a motor you can’t even use to it’s full potential, due to limitations of the esc

You still don’t get the point. Im fully aware that i wont use the maximum potential of the 80mm motors, in order to do that i would also need to use 15s voltage. The point is that bigger motors has more copper and therefore less resistance, they can handle more amps at low voltage (low speed) that increases the torque at low speeds, theoreticly atleast and thats why i’m looking for opinions from people that tried 80mm motors in real life.

The 6374 already reaches their maximal potential at low speeds, increasing battery amps will only increase the acceleration after a set point when the motors are running on higher voltage. I’m not looking for this, im looking for better acceleration from a stand still. Got it?

1 Like

The issues you’re talking about on the 8072 appeared after changing to 12s if im not mistaken?

Those issues includes that wierd sound or is it also something else?

Yes, the noise only happens at around 50% throttle for me, on a 12s. I couldn’t see anything wrong even at 100% on a 4s.

The issues include the weird sound, and the vibrations which I’m not sure are good for the motor in the long term. :confused:

You say you havnt got close to overheating, but later you say that the motors have already reached their maximal potential? One or the other must be wrong as these doesnt match. The motors havnt reached their full potential before they overheat. So until you have overheated your motors, you havnt pushed them to their full potential.

1 Like

Im considering the manufacturers rating as max in this case, which is 100A. As previously said i have only been riding in cold wheater, most of the time around -5° C, im sure they would get way hotter during summer and +25°C

Wasnt trying to pick a fight, sorry for any bad fellings, 80mm motors are great my friend had one on his first e-mountain bike the old turnigy ones. It worked great, can’t wait to see your next build!

Hmm that’s disturbing… the 8072 seems to have some problems, maybe it’s better to wait for more reliable options. 6384 APS might do for now :thinking:

It’s all good, just got the feeling that we werent discussing the same thing so i wanted to clearly explain my goal :slight_smile:

1 Like

@chocol4te maybe this could fix your issues with the motor

In your case you would need to cover the windings with epoxy too.

1 Like

I had 2 broken bells on them. Just saying… if you go with the 6384 better battle harden then after you made a bench test. My last link explains how to do it.

1 Like

What’s the mounting pattern compared to typical 63xx motors?

Having a hard deciding between something like this or 6384, the lack of sensors is something not sure on, massive motors can still cog afaik ?

yeah… those APS 8072… are crap… i moved on…

1 Like

Hmm… it’s funny how my turnigy sk8 motors has worked flawlessly, even riding in heavy rain, blizzards, and muddy terrain. i thought APS was quality stuff :thinking:

I got a set of etoxx mini drives that i was going to sell and get the big drives to be able to use 80mm motors. If im using 63mm motors i can keep the mini drives but i have to get lower KV, APS 6384 130KV looks like the best option for that but starting to doubt this now aswell :sweat_smile:

@Andy87 Thanks! That looks great, I’ll look into it. Do you know if it reduced the noise/vibration issue at all?