Carvon Discussion

I should revise the TorqueDrive rating. So we are using 36 volts on the EXO Pro with a 40A BMS. Theoretically, that’s 36v * 20A which equals 720W. So the TD actually has 720W.

The torque is due to the increased number of stator teeth and magnets. Think of them as teeth in your wheel pulley. The more they are, the more torque you have. They don’t show up in the equation.

5 Likes

The SDXL is the middle ground between the SDR (fastest) and TD (most torque). Consequently, we think that the market is not that big to continue offering it along with the other motors. We need to drop one, and we chose the SDXL cause if drop the SDR, someone will say they want to go faster, and if we drop the TD, someone will say they want more torque. They’re actually a good compromise motor, we just don’t want to be doing too much.

6 Likes

We have been pming

1 Like

It really depends. Here’s the thought process:

SDR = goes fast, up to 40mph. You guys have all seen @Michaelinvegas video. But least torque.

TD = most torque, can be equipped with SixShooters. But should not be fed too much amps or else it will heat up, hence it’s slowest.

SDXL = based on SDR but longer and has lower kv. Can get up to 32mph and has more torque than SDR, but not as much as TD.

So, it’s a choice really depending on what you need. Now, if you want torque and speed, then 4WD SDR will be the best.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like the XL’s are still the way to go for me. I’m super excited! BTW, how’s the hanger machining going? Got any teaser pics of the process?

So, the six shooters are a no go on the XL’s? Or are they ok in certain cases? Like riding all flat terrain at 180lbs? I’d really love to run those together, if possible.

You can actually ask this guys @caustin. He has both XL and TD. He’s just keeps quiet and acts like a true gentleman because I told him not to tell you guys. He has the ones that were suppose to go to @b264.

3 Likes

Will show pics tomorrow. Nope, no SixShooters with XL, unless they are 4WD. Only 107mm is the biggest on 2WD

1 Like

I think you guys were fed that just because it’s a “Koowheel” motor, it’s not good myth, lol. Along with the “clearance issue” myth. :smile:

6 Likes

Same people make everything.

1 Like

Just glad to have you back @LEVer! You have no idea how often I would refresh the Carvon site expecting for a change in availability or news.

Not that I didnt do just that a few seconds ago :laughing:

2 Likes

@LEVer I think that after me being confussed with stuff on your website there is a need for some explanation on true motor rating - SD R and SD XL are both rated 2.25 kW and 2.5kW each … while the TD were 0.45kW and now you state that those are 0.7kW

Personally I’m conffused, and I think others are as well…

Jerry is working hard and I knew he’d come through for you guys…I was heartbroken to see guys dropping out for refunds :frowning: but there was a reason he was late and now he’s coming through full swing…

I love my Carvon 4WD R and you guys will love yours regardless of which one you chose…when you guys get them please let’s see some videos on YouTube and get the Carvon name out there!!

6 Likes

Sorry about that. Things change when we test and push the components. As of right now, the TD motor can handle 42v (10s fully-charged) and 20A. That’s 840W fully-charged. So that’s close to double of the original rating. We got the original rating from the factory, which was using a 20A BMS (around 10A each motor). But since we’ve amped up the BMS discharge and use the 30Qs, and tested it, we’re confident in saying they are 720W nominal.

2 Likes

I understand people being impatient and wanting their stuffs right away. But we need to realize that this is a new industry, it has a loooong way to go. And it doesn’t help if companies push out their products, only to see those products break and people get hurt. We need to learn from the Hoverboard fiasco, or else the industry will also get banned.

2 Likes

Well now that the cat is out of the bag, @caustin care to share your thoughts on the TD and XL drives? Like torque delivery, heat dissipation, smoothness, etc?

Hey Jerry.

Thats some great info. Does this mean that the koowheel ESC can handle 40A without modification? or are you guys modifying the ESC too?

Reason I ask is because I am planning to put two of the koowheel batteries in parallel giving me 10s4p and theoretically 40A output (20A per battery). What can I expect with 40A? more torque?

@LEVer, thanks for info on torque drives, can you supply some information about the other drives ? Info on your website seems to imply very high rating (2.5kW) compared to those 0.84kW for torque drive (max theoretical).

I’m one of the folks waiting on a four-wheel drive. I have a great YouTube channel for my company and I plan on doing a nice long video review like you did. thanks for your video. It really got me excited again

3 Likes

link to your carvon video?