Carvon Discussion

LHB builds the EVO 2WD and 4WD…only. We build the EXO Pro so don’t ask them about EXO Pros.

In fact, and this is for everyone, please don’t ask them about any CARVON builds, just ask us. I got more time to answer now and will even have more to since we’re crossing out the XL, so just ask me.

2 Likes

There were few EVOs shipped to KS backers last year. We stopped because we had to do a redesign to make sure we assemble them faster. They are faster to build now, but will still take some time. They are completely custom-made. LHB is building them for KS backers now.

Okay guys, got 10 of these for XL:

20180823_092251

I’m gonna be busy building, hoping to ship this out by this week. So I’ll check in a little less but I’ll make sure to do it once a day.

7 Likes

where the hell were you @LEVer yesterday damn it!

2 Likes

Lost in the labyrinth of SoCal freeways :sob: Got there at 6

2 Likes

Just curious, how many XL’s will there be in the wild when all is said and done? Sounds like there will be a very limited number. And maybe I missed it, but why are you phasing out the XL’s before they’ve hit the streets?

2 Likes

Around 15. Understandably, there were a lot who have backed out because of the delays. I haven’t made the count, but for sure it’s not that much left.

The SpeedDrive XL was offered before the final TorqueDrive came out. We we’re not 100% sure about original TorqueDrive (Maytech), but people wanted something that has more torque than the SDR, so we offered the SDXL. It’s a motor we’re very familiar with. But the new and present TorqueDrive motor performs better than the XL in terms of torque, so the XL has to go.

It’s also a way for us to streamline production to be able to ship faster. It’s not really a big market to be offering multiple product line ups.

2 Likes

curious as to what the present torque drive motors are now. Are they still maytech as before with more improvements?

They are same with Koowheel boards, but just like Maytech’s, they do not manufacture them.

1 Like

Any expected date for this? I still am keen on carvons and direct drives :wink:

Definitely end-of-the-year or next year kinda thing.

1 Like

do next year please. My wallet can’t take much more at the moment :rofl:

1 Like

Interesting. So, what are the benefits to the XL drive over the Torque drives? They are larger, no? I’m after torque over speed, and basically wanted the most torquey Carvons on earth, but your saying the Torque drives outperform them now? I’m confused by the very different wattage ratings between the XL and Torque drives, which are just modified Koowheel hubs, correct? Are the XL’s still based on SK3’s? I’m also concerned about longevity and replacement parts, so maybe the Torque drives are just Ann all afraid better choice?

The XL stands for eXtra Length. They 6374 motors while the R are 6364. But yes, the TorqueDrive has the most torque. They have the 24n28p configuration, same as Maytech, Raptor 2, Dexter’s and Jacob’s hubs.

Wattage does not reflect torque effectively. Most ebike motors have 250W and they carry heavier load. These high turn-count motors cannot be fed with too many amps, but they have the torque because they have more stator teeth and magnets. So if W = volts * amps, and the motors only take low amps, then that means they will have low Wattage. But it doesn’t mean they have less torque.

4 Likes

This is so confusing. So Moar != Moar?

I think 28mph hits a pretty good sweetspot. Sadly for me I want Moar…

1 Like

Thanks for the insight, Jerry. So, is it really worth getting or even making the XL’s or would it be better to just switch the XL’s to the TD’s, or even 4wd TD’s for nearly the same price as the XL’s? I wanted the XL’s cause I thought they would significantly outperform the SD’s and the TD’s in torque, but now I’m wondering what benefit the XL’s have for almost double the price of the TD’s. Better cooling from larger motors? I live in a pretty flat town, so I’m not going to be bombing up long hills or anything, so maybe the TD’s are a better option for me? I just want the torquiest Carvons I can get my hands on, and I’m not sure what the best option for my money is at this point.

@LEVer. Please contact @tomtom13 via pm about his XL other

@LEVer thanks for the update and transparency. Please keep us updated. I will be sure to place an order once things settle down on your side. Good luck with all the builds, research and testing you’re doing!

1 Like

Yikes, I’m one of those few that ordered an XL evo 2wd, now I’m second doubting my decision. So the torque drives are cheaper and better now?

I have the V4 TD and they are great. But not for 12s and not if you want to use vanilla vesc without ackmaniac fw for brake then reverse setting.