Carbon Fiber Vacuum/Resin infusion|Enclosure|Deck|3D printing

The resin will flow in the channels only and it won’t be collapsed by the vacuum pressure.

what advantage does the honeycomb infusible core have over something else without honeycomb?

It has hexagon structure that works as a flow channel for resin and helps for weight reduction and rigidity.Some people use Styrofoam between layers. I am sure there are other method that work well. Honeycomb Core is commonly used and inexpensive.

Cool! So it could be lighter AND more ridged then the first design while being the same thickness? Also, I see the mold blank is 3D printed, and the mold is made from the printed part, what is the mold material? Is the board housing for the electronics part of the actual board? Or are the two pieces attached together separately?

Yes, I want to add rigidity using the core it’ll be thicker.

For the mold, I used gel-coat for the first layer then polyester resin with glass fiber sheets.

This is the idea.

3 Likes

That’s awesome! Thanks for the help! This stuff is so cool! As soon as I can I am going to pick up a kit to learn more!

1 Like

If you have any questions,feel free to ask.:grin:

1 Like

this video looks to me like that dude is doing everything wrong. like this he filled the honeycombs completely with resin, no? also, why would you set the hose directly in the middle, leaving an ugly resin bubble instead of somewhere outside the plate with breather layer connected?

I dont get the honeycomb resin thing - its very clear with foam, since these foams dont have connected cavities, the resin wont enter except for the surface, so there you have a “mostly air” material that is strong under pressure with the encapsulating fibers:

:confused:

whitepony, I see your point.

Yes, the foam works. I used to make Fiberglass RC plane wings with it.

honeycomb core is another form of The Foam that has channels to help flow the resin.

This product that I have used doesn’t suck the resin.

Here is the link of the product.

http://lantor.com/lantor-soric/

I have been asked for vacuum resin infusion process.

Here we go. Vacuum Infusion Process (VIP) Guide

There are many different ways to do it but this has worked for me.

*Polish the mold. *Apply Mold releasing agent(PVA)or Wax onto the mold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDnOEDggNpE

The mold could be better,It doesn’t have mirror finish,with 20 min of buffering you will get it.:relaxed:

5 Likes

how bout doing a whole board with a 3/4" divinycell core using thermoforming? This is my latest seemingly easiest way to make a deck using a vacuum bag, a foam core, carbon, epoxy, a vacuum bag.

could you do a vacuum infusion using another deck as the mold or is it overkill and just doing a vacuum bag can get the same results?

this is what ill try very soon :smile:

dont see any argument against that!

Haha,I am sure whitepony can do it either way.:thumbsup:

we’re on the same hunt. i think using 3/4 inch divinycell first thermoforming to the shape of the deck and then a typical vacuum bag job using the deck in the bag as well.

or maybe an easier to form a core would be easier with one of these honeycomb things. I’ll call them on tuesday. interested to see what you end up with and me as well.

Good luck to you both. I’d love to see the result.

Here is another video that shows an example of using honeycomb core. (Pretty long video)

1 Like

hah, I remember I saw the composition of a carbon board somewhere and here it is - check “materiaux” on this downhill machine: http://www.zenitboards.com/dh-missile

1 Like

Beautiful!!! The composite layering you do reminds me of old school Morrow Snowboards before K2 bought them and shelved the process.

1 Like

That looks awesome!

@MasterCho if I am looking to do it for much less cost, the carbon fiber fabric alone would come out to be $300 (if I were to use 5 sheets of 12k 815gsm and 4 of 3k 203gsm). How would I go about getting the price down? The honeycomb still costs $30 per sheet. What would you reccomend to get the price down? If I use the honeycomb (since it is thicker) do I only need a couple sheets of CF? What order would you recommend for the layers?

Carbon Fiber Fabric Quadaxial 90/+45/-45/0 Degree 50" 12k 815gsm 36" long by the 50" width for $40. you get 3-4 sheets from it for longboard. You need 2 for 6-7 sheets just for safe (4 sheets is more than enough if you use core material) .

Carbon Fiber Cloth Fabric 2x2 Twill 50" 3k 6oz 203gsm for $21 for 3-4 sheets(Bottom and top)

Soric XF 4mm Infusible Honeycomb Core 50" for $20

Total $121 plus shipping.

2 Likes