Carbon Fiber Vacuum/Resin infusion|Enclosure|Deck|3D printing

Mastercho what do u think…Another member here evoheyax and I have been cutting 1/16 inch maple lams on his x-carve cad mill and planning to glue them down using my vacuum bag and a mold. So vacuum bag pressure to form the shape as done by roarocket.com. The wood is slow to cut and I’d like to chose a single sheet core of something like your honeycomb core. I’m imagining I could take the shape of another deck easily using a 3/4inch sheet just laying it down and wetting it out, then once cured doing a traditional vacuum bag job with carbon. ? I’m wondering what core youd recommend and if this sounds doable to u? Cutting all the wood lams is so slow and this seems much easier

@Hummie,It’ll work.The honeycomb core is very flexible so it can be shaped any foam you want,but the core itself is nothing more than Styrofoam(air between layers) to give rigidity. I suggest to use as sandwich structure with a couple of sheets(Fiberglass,kevlar or Carbon fiber cloth).

Product information

Foam sandwich structure;Great for weight reduction.

There are so many core materials available. Any you think would be best suited? I’d like it to be 3/4 inch and easily form to the mold without any outside force, then wet it out, and then be able to sustain a vacuum bag pressure when later adding carbon without collapsing

And later I’d want it not to deteriorate with flexing on the board.
And I guess I’d have to add inserts with the foam core. Like to find something that could be simpler

Would it be bad to run a bar through the board to provide stiffness? Sandwiched between the CF? Or is that asking for trouble later on?

Bar of what? Foam is good. Aluminum if it’s electrically insulated is heavier but probably better. Strength wise. An aluminum bar wouldn’t make such a nice shape though. Foam is easily formed and ends really rigid and strong after infusion or wetting out or whatever it’s called

Something stiff…like a rod of galvanized steel…something to give it a backbone… Depending on the material and thickness you can have control of flex

Thickest one I found is http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/core-materials/nomex-aramid-honeycomb/5mm-48kg-nomex-honeycomb.html

Tthat works but with a light core u can have the strength and stiffness as long as u have the carbon on the outside in compression or better yet tension. Steel would be overkill. Even aluminum would be unnecessary. Lot of carbon boards have just foam core

But I see in that link mastercho posted aluminum honeycomb

will this foam core be filled with resin afterwards or is it supposed to be hollow for ultimate light weight? if so, how do you prevent the honey combs to be filled with resin?

Mastercho that stuff, honeycomb, I was worried about the edge and making it smooth. And it will need inserts for the trucks. Maybe not too hard to do…more so worried about doing the edge

Corematt looks good. I’ve seen that and think it might be good. Sucks a lot of resin though

Or this http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/core-materials/closed-cell-foam-and-3dcore/3d-core-pet100-foam-core.html

For this one,apply this core and let it cure then apply another layer of sheet on the top to keep the air inside.

1 Like

I have used http://www.ebay.com/itm/131493767846?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT gives 0.8mm thickness then use http://www.ebay.com/itm/121612905675?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT.gives 4mm.

repeat until you get the thickness you want just like stacking sandwiches together.:hamburger:

For the edge, I would give a couple of thick layers on the bottom and top.

That last material u posted. Do u rhink a thick piece could handle a vacuum or would it compress after it had already been wetted out and hardened? I’d like to cut it to shape, wet it and cute it on the mold with no vacuum, then I’m hoping when vacuuming later with carbon it will not compress. Compress?

So not stacking just foam center and carbon layers on the outside

How about cf tubes?

Do you need multiple sheets of the carbon fiber fabric or is it all one piece cut up? Or is one piece one layer?

Won’t the carbon get sucked in the holes of the honeycomb under vacuum?

U can use different weaves or the same different directions.

A beam structure with carbon tubes… I don’t know. I think the beams might be too stiff for the rest. Can’t imagine how to do it

How abt rods…ok getting complicated but what if you could insert rods and vary the stiffness…just an idea … Would be worth looking into if you could tune a board like that

Should be fine.

using 6mm Honeycomb

1 Like