Can bus / BLDC issue

Are you sure that when you enable CAN Fwd that you also select the right controller ID of the slave VESC?

Yes. As soon as I click can fwd with the right id, it disconnects with error “no firmware read response” or something like that

Then it is a hardware issue.

Thank you for confirming that! Most likely it’s the can chip right?

If that ends up being the issue just go the split ppm or dual recievers. Those don’t require a working can chip

Thanks for you suggestion mate. I’ve been splitting y servo for several months now. The reason I wan’t can bus to work, is so I can use @Ackmaniac awesome monitor app and swap between modes when needed.

In theory you can also use 2 bluetooth modules but then you need to connect to them individually and adjust the same modes for both. Too stressfull if you ask me.

1 Like

Oh I see. You definitely need canbus for that. Maybe post a picture of the CAN connector and how your plugging the cable in? Alot of people on here can recognize if something is shorted by just looking at a picture

Sure. I post some pics later on today :slight_smile: @Ackmaniac yeah that’s plan C. :smile: I will try to swap out the can receiver first.

@L3chef Did you ever figure out what the issue was. Did a new canbus chip fix your issues? I’m getting the same no firmware read response issue as soon as I click the fwd can button. The issue is that I was originally running split ppm with the signal wire soldered to the board, but the signal wire got pulled out tearing the contact off. So running can bus is my only option unless there is a different spot on the board that I can solder my ppm singal wire to.

No I didn’t theres some other components on the vesc that is damaged aswell. In a couple of weeks when it’s too cold to ride anymore, I will start to swap out the canbus components untill it works again

Where can I get a Y piece?

I Like these but there are cheaper ones on eBay

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015H2UR8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Awesome!! Thanks man!!

I need your help sir on advice. I believe my can chip is bad. And there is no stock on them. But I rather use ppm. Can I just remove the can chip?