Building my very first mountainboard! Help me out with selecting parts :)

The image shows the 66. We don’t supply pulleys for 10 mm shafts, since 8mm is the max bore size for a HTD5m pulley with 14 teeth.

Frank

Id consider the hobbywing max6 esc over a vesc/focbox for robustness and reliability especially for a mountainboard!

But they only go to 8S?

The max 6 is not a good esc for an MTB. Jens burned them on regular basis. A lot of money for an ESC having zero safet features.

@trampa i see now that your Trampa motors are rated for 26-44V. So i can’t run them on 12s?

Motors are not rated by voltage. You could run them at 70V if you like.

2 Likes

Ah, okay. great.

I’ll ask Ted if we have a used one in our fleet that we want to sell.

A random question. Are circlips included with motors in general or do i have to buy them separately? It seems like the drive train needs so many tiny parts it’s a real mess…

Actually I remember Jens calling the Hobbywing Max6 « bullet proof ». Don’t you mistake them with ROXXY 12S ESCs?

4 Likes

Well im running my trampa mtb with dual max6’s and do a lot of serious off roading so they defo get pushed to the limit but never had a single problem! yeah your limited to 8s. DavidC yeah he did say their bullet proof and i remember him saying that because thats what persuaded me to go max6 over vesc! personally for me, the only upgrade i would consider for a max6 is the vesc6 but thats out of the question because its ridiculously priced.

I’ve been using Max6 too for some time now with no issues. Wish they’d come out with a 12S option.

1 Like

id settle for a quieter braking sound lol then again even that comes in handy if you need to let pedestrians know your close by :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, that horrible braking noise will certainly get everyone out of the way in a hurry. And if that doesn’t work, these will certainly do the trick:

Jk :wink:

2 Likes

@Morxy49

IMO, for riding street, grass, groomed trails etc. I’d use:

HS11 w/eboosted segmented enclosure:

E-TOXX motor mounts:

MatrixII trucks: https://www.mbs.com/parts/12202-mbs-matrix-ii-pro-truck-system-1

F5 bindings and straps:

Either Trampa or MBS hubs (Trampa has more color choices. They do have different bolt patterns though, so it might be easier when purchasing a motormount to match hubs to trucks, e.g., MBS trucks - MBS hubs etc.)

Trampa urban tread tires (haven’t tried 'em yet, but they look sick!

Or Evolves if you want a bigger diameter for speed or whatever: https://evolveskateboardsusa.com/collections/wheels/products/7-evolve-tire

Max6 ESCs work great if you’re not looking for too much speed:

Or VESC6 (haven’t tried them yet, but sounds like it’s pretty much the best option for anything over 8S).

And for batteries and motor size, this calculator works (100% efficiency works for me. I’m about 175 pounds).

If you’re looking to hit jumps, you’re better off mounting you batteries on top of the deck to avoid bottoming them out, with a holypro deck to reduce weight a little.

Don’t know how well the MBS trucks will hold up to jumping too, might consider using Trampa, they certainly look sturdier, whether that’s the case though IDK.

And for off-road, these tires are the shit:

They’ll only fit these hubs though fwiu:

GT2B tx/rx: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingr-tmhk-gt2b-3ch-2-4ghz-transmitter-and-receiver-w-rechargable-li-ion-battery-1.html?___store=en_us

:nerd_face:

4 Likes

Wow, thanks a lot! Many great tips here, most of them whihc makes me more confident in my choice of parts. I would really love some E-toxx mounts, but my budget says no unfortunately.

2 Likes

Oh boy. I’ve purchased everything now. I went 300 euro over budget :tired_face::tired_face::tired_face: Let’s hope I can manage to assemble everything…

3 Likes

I am following how your configuration was first, later on I will … is always for more, when one wants to configure with quality …

Hey Guys need help im 7 feet toll, and 285 lbs and i wanna get Evolve carbon GT is it gonna be good for me or better to build a custom? Thank you very much ))

Am I mounting these footstraps correct? I’m going right foot forward. It feels like however I mount them they’re in the wrong direction.

IMG_20180717_190348

IMG_20180717_190403

2 Likes