Boss level custom spot welder

You have to make a video of this :grinning: i love the Idea of using copper insted of Nickel metal. So much Better current handeling, but i find it hard to weld.

I didn’t tape this pack as this is pretty much the same as other packs i did earlier. I did copper on many videos.

Copper 0.1

Electroplated copper 0.2 (warning! Not recommended)

Electroplated copper 0.1 lights pack

Copper 0.1 huge bike triangle pack

1 Like

I have some 0.15 copper, impossible? So far not had luck welding to aa cells, bilirvibcanbwrlf nickel to it.

Strangely I’ve had a better result from a 3s graphene then a 2 x 2s in series

:joy::joy::joy:

Where do you get copper, I would like to try on my spot welder/

1 Like

I got solid welds on .15 nickel to .2 copper by using my heat gun. Not so practical.

I noticed your tomato juice pack cell holders…

I made this out of wood. Works real good as a tray for gluing and if you flip the batteries on their side for welding as well.

I also use it for cutting the nickel strips. I marked the board for certain lengths. Then you hold your scissors against the wood side and slide the nickel to the mark on the board. Perfect cuts every time in rapid succession.

3 Likes

I like these for holding cells

https://dzhj8173mkary.cloudfront.net/static-file-transform/887/thumbnail%2Cw_500%2Ch_500%2Cm_a.jpg

Edit: harborfreight has them cheap

2 Likes

Ebay,but at 0.15 it’s probaly too thick iirc 0.1 is the thick @rojitor tried/tested

Obviously I was talking about this and nothing to do with falling asleep after too many beers whilst in post-edit mode

4 Likes

I didn’t test 0.15 i did 0.1 and 0.2 in my opinion beyond 0.1 is too risky for both machine and user but that’s just my opinion. If anyone succeeds with 0.15 please share the experience with us.

So far just welder beeps & scortching where penetration does happen. I can manage to weld nickel onto the copper, just not able to weld the copper to the cell.

I have not tried on a 18650 cell so far but afaik the casing is the same meterial as an AA battery…so.

In the end I have just bought some 0.1mm copper off eBay, I don’t want to kill my boss welder

Make sure the contact is perfect and the pressure is good. Bad pressure will burn the metal and bad contact/pressure will make holes, HUGE holes that would pierce the can and ruin the cell.

This is an example of bad pressure. The weld is acceptable but the metal is damaged. A little less pressure would have caused a hole.

2 Likes

This is whay I’m practising on dead AA cells :wink:

Also not gonig to try any more with 0.15mm copper,0.1mm copper is the way forward.

Thanks as always

2 Likes

Here is my cell rig… shit just laying around

I love seeing all the little ways everybody does everything.

It is always the details of things that are so interesting…

5 Likes

3D printed a little jig, don’t really need the clamps but some prints werent perfect

3 Likes

I use what i have around. Tuna cans, boxes… Don’t care at all as long as the result is good.

2 Likes

So a knife blade from a hobbyknife is about the same thinkness as 18650 cells, and could be used as i guide line ?

I think so. Success on blade has been guaranteed success on cell so far for me. I am not sure about the exact thickness but i can tell from personal experience that the blade test works. Nickel on nickel or copper on copper have nothing to do with that test and may differ with the results on that field.

2 Likes

What is a good battery you guys recommend ?

You mean lipo? 3s graphene or nanotech 5000 mah or anything Big with very high C burst. Most C are exaggerated so look for big numbers. 5000 mah and 130C should do.

1 Like