Boss level custom spot welder

its the same for me, when it gets warmed up it welds like crazy, just keep trying, turn it on a few times, does anyone know why this happens, is it because of nickel residue on the electrodes?

1 Like

Cool, I would like to make a vertical one, it would be easier to weld the cells that way :smiley:

1 Like

didnt use jig last time. now i want one

Sometimes the heat shrink of the points hmget damaged and both electrodes touch each other, I had to change them and it’s working flawlessly again.

2 Likes

Beware that. The welds are better when the points are close but they must never ever touch each other. Specially on 4s. Using high ms on 4s(copper) It could be an Epic fail. Guaranteed destruction of the pen. Just a look at the shrink every now and then is always a good option.

Akta så du inte gör samma mksstag med din! @karma

1 Like

Cẩn thận đừng làm điều tương tự với bạn. @Highwon @karma, lol :wink:

1 Like

Haha it’s Swedish bro! @uigiroux

2 Likes

Lol! I can’t say that I knew that, but I entered it into Google translate so I know what it means, I just thought I’d throw in a random language many don’t understand for some comedic purposes :smile:

1 Like

Hahaha nice one! :joy:

To anyone interested, as I am now going to be using the NESE Modules to build my battery, I have a brand new one of these welders, with the Hakko soldering iron included. For me, after shipping, I paid something like $137 if I recall… Anyways, I’ll offer this for sale, completely new, 100% unused, $125 shipping included. PM if interested.

Had the same issue with mine, but luckily I saw you post bevore conecting with the lipo :sweat_smile:

For anyone with the same problem, here is how I fixed it without changing the stand offs: First I have loosen the srews and lift up the stand off by rotating, so it wont touch the plate anymore.

and then filled the gap with some heat resistance isolating tape stuff Did that on both sides

Thats it! It does not short anymore and it is an easy and fast fix.

Edit: :sweat_smile: just saw that @Deckoz recomended already the same

3 Likes

What do you mean by “i had the same issue”? Did you have a short or the standoffs were touching the contacts? The standoffs have always touched the contacs. My machine does. The PCBs are protected so nothing “should” happen. Lee got a small batch of faulty PCBs that’s why some units failed. That doesn’t mean everybody has to mod the machine. Nevertheless Lee is working on a solution for possible future problems. He is very busy ATM and will announce It when ready.

1 Like

I meant that the stand offs are touching. Didnt had a short. :sweat_smile: I thought it had to be fixed, but good to know! Nice that he is still improving his product. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Well…now that you did It you can be sure you Will not have a short. I just wanted to let you know that those standoffs touching the plates are not a lousy design flaw. It has never been an issue so far. I do not plan to mod my machine. And i can assure you i abused the hell out of It with no issues at all :wink:

1 Like

My copper battery is finished and my build ready :blush:

It works fine. I am not feeling well right now. I Hope i can ride it soon. :wink:

4 Likes

Hi. I noticed a few machines failed due to a short on the standoffs area. It is very rare but i want to eliminate that possibility so i will do “whatever you do”

10 Likes

Or you could simply just test them before sending out.

1 Like

Ok who wants to help me get new tips… I was rounding off the tips trying to get more life out of my gear since they erroded pretty quicm but I’m not really getting much progress… lots of scary sparks :frowning:

@rojitor could you make a video about the pens? How to make them, maintenance…

1 Like