Behind the Scenes | Raptor Electric Skateboard Production Process

Looks like onloop has been real busy on his orders. Hell yeah I’m loving it! I haven’t seen him on the forums for days! #dedicated

If Onloop manages to get the boards out before Xmas his hol will be well deserved. I should have ordered 2 because I know Im going to want another when the first one arrives.

UPDATE:

The Raptor Completes are 95% done, certainly taking longer then anticipated, which is mostly due to having many other jobs on my list to complete whilst trying to build 25 raptors at the same time. I think It’s time to employ some staff now.

The other issues has been stock flow, I ran out of CF decks & some other minor components, such as the carry handles are taking forever, mostly due to the fact I sold more completes then I expected and delivery from suppliers this time of year always slows down.

The bad news is this product is not going to be at your house before xmas. So I appologise for anyone who was praying for that to happen, I also envisioned pre-xmas delivery for the Raptor back in september when I was planning this promotion. Unfotunatley in this game of small scale manufacturing some things just are out of my control.

Please rest assured I am working hard to ensure the Raptor will be built as fast as possible, I won’t be taking an extended break (except a few days at xmas with family) from work until they are built, tested, packed & shipped.

2 Likes

After weeks of trial & error trying to develop the best wireless remote controller to pair with the Raptor a winner has been selected. I tried as many remotes as possible in order to get the best one currently available.

The Goals. 1. Compact 2. Reliable 3. Rechargeable 4. Cruise Control

In the end It came down to two remotes. The Wii Style with Custom PCB was a front runner, Lots of time & money was spent trying to get the Wii style remote perfected for consumer use! However we had to give up on that due to signal problems & drop outs. It just isn’t safe enough yet, more work needs to be done on that.

Here is the winner.

2.4ghz, Compact, Rechargeable, Cruise Control - UBER RELIABLE!

This NEW Enertion remote feels nice in the hand due to the ergonomic shape & it also has a nice silicone grip for the hot sweaty days. Controlling Speed using this feels very safe, it has custom software that has ramp-up-control that makes it hard to accidentally accelerate too-rapidly, this feature makes the ride feel much more in-control & predictable. I think Raptor owners will appreciate how good this makes the Raptor Feel. It also has Cruise Control which works really well.

Overall the size is very compact whilst still feeling comfortable in the hand.

4 Likes

I NEEEEEED ONE! That’s the next transmitter I’m buying for sure.

Damn, that is a nice transmitter! When you going to sell this bad boy the general public?

looks a lot like the backfire remote

id be interested to know what it was about the modified nunchuck that was unreliable. oh and does the new remote use a standard PWM receiver or something else?

YEP, Same as backfire. Took months to track down the factory that makes it. It is actually very very good! Works very well. Super easy to setup - PLUG & PLAY.

It comes with a receiver that will be compatible with any ESC that has the usual PWM signal… Normal 3-pin servo cable etc. Connects quickly & perfectly everytime.

Re: The Wii Style Remote had some firmware issues causing drop outs every 20seconds, also some other random weirdness too, I have been told Vedder has fixed it now. But honestly, it just doesn’t work well enough yet.… I don’t really like the Wii joystick either & two people in the same space can’t use it together… Overall needs some more community development, I’ve got some BETA kits I can sell off fairly cheap for people who want to start testing. It requires some hacking & soldering etc. Definitely not plug & play.

2 Likes

Awesome @onloop! The DIY community really needed a reliable controller option!

Well someone has to say it: @onloop when will these be available for sale and how much will they cost?

Yeah im also very interested to know the price on these.

2 Likes

handles arrived,

BLUE or BLACK?

the blue isn’t exactly the “blue” i had planned it to be!

Ill have Blue. Also i noticed on your website that orders wont be dispatched until the 14th of Jan onwards. is that going to apply for these raptor orders also?

Thanks

Go the blue for my order No.1351. It pops. Works with the blue of the trucks.

For order 1597 I’d take the black one.

order #1565 likes it black :wink:

forget the handle! and send me my board! :sunglasses:

With these problems in mind do you still feel confident to ship the Raptor with the wii remote? Out of experience an unreliable remote is very unnerving. Also; Will there be reverse throttle maybe at a later point?

I would prefer the black handle #1146

DId I misunderstand? That post left me with the impression that he was NOT using the Wii looking remote and instead is using the Backfire remote - not just for individual sale, but also for the completed boards.

luckily it looks like I misunderstood it! I was thrown off that in his shop it still show’s the wii remote for the raptor