Battery Management System + Zippys?

Ive got everything wired up, per the diagram here. ESC and motor seem to operate as normal. There is one thing that is confusing me. I have a HobbyKing 105W 15V/7A Switching DC Power Supply. When I connect it to the power port, but NOT to the wall outlet, it comes on. You can hear the fan and see the light. Is that symptomatic of something?

Here’s a copy of the x2 zippy 3s 5000mAh & BMS 100716 Visio doc if anyone wants it.

Well, its getting powered by the battery. Once you plug it to the wall the power supply will provide the current and charge the battery instead.

Cool, just wanted to make sure I hadn’t missed anything.

Here it is finished… I labeled all of the wires. It seems to be working well, but doesnt charge as fast as iMax B6. It usually takes me about an hour fully depleted (19.2v) to fully charged (25.2v). It takes about 2 hours now.

This is the BMS I used. 24v 6s 60a 3.6v Li-Ion Li-Po Battery BMS

This is the charging port I used. Waterproof 5.5 x2.1mm DC Socket Power Jack

Here’s the wiring diagram. x2 zippy 3s 5000mAh & BMS 100716 Visio document

If you have any questions, please feel free.

Its taking more time because the HVC for this BMS i 4.25v per cell, and you’re probably using a 2A brick.

FYI, I think the BMS was defective. It is not only NOT handling the charge of cells correctly, its not handling the discharge correctly either. I now have a bad cell, a bad pack. Any advice would be appreciated.

What charging adapter are you using? Is it a 25.2v 2A? The BMS will cut charging once a cell hits 4.25v. And it will start draining a cell as soon as it goes over 4.2v.

the adapter is 15v 7a. the BMS was handling the charge fine at first. but on my first run it pulled only from the 1st cell on the 1st pack. now im scared to charge it as the cell is at 0.7v.

15v? No wonder why you fried your cells. You should not be charging with that brick, you should use a 25.2v to charge 6S.

The bms doesnt discharge individual cells on discharge… you discharge through the main leads.

well damn, thought I had all this worked out…

Basically, you have been running your battery down, and never charging it. You need 25.2v or higher for it to charge.

cool, ill get another BMS and another adapter. So, did I understand that the BMS doesn’t control the discharge of individual cells? What keeps the cells discharging evenly?

Your bms is probably fine, just get 25.2v 2A charger. The BMS protects the battery in a few ways: Over-charge: If any cell hits 4.25v it will shut off the charging mosfets. Over-discharge: If any cell hits 2.9v Over-current: If you go over 60A

Since you discharge from the main leads, there’s nothing that prevent the cells from becoming unbalanced. Manufacturers of lipos match the cells so that this doesn’t happen.

That makes more sense. I’ve some more notebook adaptors at work, I’ll find one tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Be VERY careful with that 0.7v cell! If i were you id throw those batteries away and get new ones

I already have thrown it away. I’ve got an extra I can out in the pack.

Hey @mmaner I’m using pretty much the exact same setup as you except im using 4x Zippy 3S 5Ah LiPo’s for a 6S2P config. I’m pretty much following word for word @VladPomogaev tutorial on how to setup a charging system for my LiPo’s. I ordered this 24V PSU from AliExpress to charge my LiPo’s and its a great deal and with it I should be able to charge my board in just a little under an hour at about 9A for a safety margin. Also why did you buy such an expensive BMS if your just bypassing the over current protection anyways lol?

24V 10A PSU

6S 12A 25.2V BMS

I didnt intend to bypass any protection, I wanted to use the BMS for charge & discharge control. I dint understand that the BMS doesn’t control the discharge, only the cutoff. Ill be getting another power supply, and Ill try this again, but its going to be a bit as I have a couple of work projects taking up a lot of time right now. IN the meantime Im gonna use one of the MEB Simple Charging Port Adapters.

You didn’t bypass any protection. You just thought the bms would control each cell independently for everything, but that’s not the case.