"Bankrupt" (BUILDING!)/SINGLE BELT DRIVE/10S6P 18AH 30Q/VESC/ROYCE PRO/$1850

P2 is for programming.

1 Like

Made a pretty cool contraption with the things I had at home. Just need to find some copper nails because the things I was using before we’re not good enough.

The contraption includes 5.5mm bullet connectors and m4 screws, and a bunch of tape. I’ll get some pictures later

1 Like

IMG_20180715_121430IMG_20180715_134841IMG_20180715_134935IMG_20180715_131119IMG_20180715_131233

2 Likes

UPDATE #41

Hi everyone! @moon Finally got my spot welder working yesterday!

I ended up spending $135 in total on the spot welder. You can get the Sunkko 787A+ spot welder for $140 incl. shipping.

PROS:

• Can be cheaper than a finished spot welder.
  • You become really happy when it finally works.

CONS:

• Same price as a not DIY spot welder if you don’t have a car battery.
  • Not programmable

IMG_3094

IMG_3097

IMG_3098

IMG_3096

IMG_3095

Here is a video of a really bad weld. Forgot to take a picture of a good weld…

3 Likes

Thats sick!

I decided to ditch the spot welder arm for now, if I start making more battery packs I will just put it back on.

I tested my spot welder with really shitty tips I could find and it worked too, I am just waiting on copper nails that I bought from ebay.

Agreed, you can always find the parts that you need to fix it too. For example just stock up with a spare solenoid, buy it from aliexpress it only costs a couple of dollars.

You could also implement an timer.

1 Like

Nice! I like the solution you came up with. My DIY spot welder was really ugly. In my defense I was in a hurry to start building and I used parts I ready had it :joy: Now time to build your battery pack! Which battery are you gonna make?

1 Like

10s6p Samsung 30q 648wh - 28.5cm X 13cm X 3.8cm

Limitless range. Cool!

1 Like

Yea almost. And you went for a 10s3p? How far can you go on a charge?

1 Like

The specs say 29 km, but I would say that with my set up and I going full throttle as much as possible, plus some hills, I reach 20km at 20 left battery so not that much left. If you cruise normally then closer to 30 is possible. 6p is a lot yuu can always think at 11s to gain a bit more power or 12s.

1 Like

UPDATE #42

Hi everyone. Today I ordered some more parts…

Aliexpress:

I also received my dual lock :+1: IMG_3074IMG_3073

IMG_3072

NOW TO THE COOL PART!!! (it’s really cool)

Yesterday I went to the library (yea… belive it or not) to get a belt cover 3d printed (link for belt cover on thingiverse (I printed the Cover_Final.stl file)). They got 2 really cool 3D printers (Ultimaker 2 and Ultimaker 3 extended). I payed $5 for it and it’s made out of PLA (plastic). It took 8 hours to print. It didn’t fit with the 90mm wheels so I had to cut a bit off. Now that it’s all good it looks amazing. Really happy about how it turned out! :slight_smile:

BEFORE CUTTING:

IMG_3165

IMG_3168

IMG_3167

IMG_3166

IMG_3172

IMG_3169

IMG_3171

AFTER CUTTING:

IMG_3174

IMG_3173

IMG_3176

IMG_3175

IMG_3178

IMG_3177

IMG_3179

And here are some updated pictures of the board:

IMG_3187

IMG_3181

IMG_3186

IMG_3183

IMG_3184

IMG_3180

IMG_3185

IMG_3182

4 Likes

that’s a great print! 8hrs @0.1mm layer height? I printed mine @0.2mm to gain some time, but 100grit sandpaper, some filler primer and 600grit wet sanding and black paint got me at this point.IMG_7678IMG_7679! and then I hit a rock with it :frowning: I think I’ll probably reprint it in some black pla and anneal it to make it more resilient or I’ll have it made by my business in sls nylon eventually

IMG_7680

2 Likes

That looks good! Yea 0.1mm layer hight :slight_smile:

It came out really smooth, but I don’t really like the model. I’ll get a different model next time or I’ll make it myself Your model is much nicer than the one I printed. with 0.1 layers I think you can skip the 100 grit and o straight to high build filler primer and 600grit wet sanding. Then 2-3 layers of paint and voilà! approx 1hr of work in total if you’re really slow :smiley:

1 Like

I’ll paint mine when my build is done and I got some money in spare. Thanks for the guide!

1 Like

How did you solve this?

I know that usually all the problems come from the copper tips

1 Like

I think it was the copper tips. After making the pen everything worked. Think it might have been bad connection.

Ok I guess I will wait for the junction connectors before I make any other changes

1 Like

UPDATE #43

Hi everyone! I just ordered the last parts for my board today!

FINALLY!

Nkon.nl didn’t have any nickel strip or battery insulators in stock so I had to order it from eskating.eu. They will have more in stock on 22. August. I didn’t wanna wait that long time (obviously lol?)

NKON.nl:

Eskating.eu:

TOTAL: $304.33 AND THE FINAL COST OF THIS BUILD INCL. TOOLS (didn’t have any in the beginning): $1850ish

All there is left to do is wait and then BUILD!

2 Likes

Well the final part for my spot welder came today so I decided to test it out. It was a little frustrating at first, but every issue I came across was to do with the copper tips.

So after experimenting a little I spot welded single layers on both sides of my cell. I can do it really quick now, no problems - except that I can’t get a solid two layer connection yet. Probably to do with the tips, they kept wearing out for me which is annoying.

But I think I am going to buy/make those 18650 PCBs to save some headache as I have to make another pack after this.

I don’t know why I post on this thread lol. But its the first thing I think of when I have done something with my build

1 Like