[AUS] Australia, Custom built 18650 Battery packs including Evolve battery upgrade

I had them made. I sell them for $12 plus postage worldwide. That’s AU dollars.

YEAH… But now there is none left… ! Thanks!

None left of what?

Dude that’s amazing. Did you simply hook up your pack to the inverter and off she went?

Pretty much, just a few things to change on the settings and away we went. The BMS caused a few issues so I disconnected it and went with a high power balancing circuit. All the protection is controlled by the inverter. I have been running it for about 3 years and SOH is still 99%

Nice! I’m in Perth too mate up in Ellenbrook ! How many cells make up a home battery bank?

I have 128 30Ah cells, just over 12Kw.

1 Like

Hey Marsen,

Just wanted to ask whether you would be interested in building batteries for any other types of applications?

I’m in Perth myself. My partner and I have been working on a custom e-bikes build and were looking for someone who can do a battery pack for that built with 18650 cells.

Would you be interested in getting involved with that?

Hi Paul, Yes I would be interested in looking at building e bike batteries for you. I have made batteries for e-bikes, ROV’s, Drones, telemetry equipment, Vacuum cleaners, power tools and 100Ah deep cycle batteries. The last e-bike battery I built was a couple of weeks ago and was 72V 27Ah to fit in a F.U.T.R. Alpha bike.

I am away till Friday on business but you can give me a call on 08 62288923 during the day if you wanted to have a chat.

hey @Marsen ,

i have a bamboo gt , which i got in november 2017 and i am also in perth.

i wanted to see what the best options were for upgrading the batterry to a higher capacity and what you recommend

cheers

jimmy

Hi Jimmy, I usually recommend the 12Ah battery. This uses Samsung 30Q cells which are good value and have a well proven track record with esk8. You can go for a 14Ah battry similar to the GTR battery but I have found that it doesn’t have the power for large hills or heavier riders of over 80kg. You will need to fit a spacer or rout the board to get it to fit. I am making single piece spacers which are much better than the 3D printed ones way less fiddly to fit. I have made a video of how to install an 18650 battery, I am using solderless pushfit connectors so the process is much simpler to do.

I am SOOO happy to meet you. As I am looking for someone like yourself for many builds that I need. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Marsen,

Just joined this group and found your post on battery upgrade. Had my bambo gt for about 6 months now and would really like to upgrade the battery to a 10S4P. Is this what you’ve managed to do ? Do you need to change any of the other components like the bms or motor board. I’m in the UK so unable to buy one of your batteries but would appreciate any advice or help you can give. Thanks mate Maverick

Hi @Maverick, I believe there are a number of battery builders available to UK riders. I recommend the 30Q option which is a 12Ah battery. If you have watched the video then you can see what is entailed to install one of these batteries. They give you a much better range and output current with far less voltage drop than the standard battery so less sag on those hills. The original bms and controller are used and the bms is double stacked with the esc. A few riders don’t like this, thinking that there is too much heat build up which will fry the electronics. I have been using a layer of barley paper and double side sticky foam which seems to provide sufficient heat insulation to prevent this. I have installed dozens of these and sold many more with lots of repeat customers and recommends so it must work :slight_smile: A word of warning: this battery upgrade and the extra power that these batteries can provide. There is no extra current or higher voltage as the battery has the same voltage as the original and the current is controlled by the esc, however the old battery will sag and drop preventing you from riding for long periods in GT mode. The 18650 battery will be able to provide the power for much longer and there will be heat build up due to longer continuous running so there have been many reports of these batteries killing the motors or electronics. It is not the battery at fault it is the under rated electronics. ie the bms is rated to less than 24 amps continuous. Not a problem with the old battery but potentially an issue with a new high powered battery. So with great power comes great responsibility. If you want more range and more power you will need to upgrade more than the battery or ride conservatively

1 Like

Hi Mark, Still struggling to find UK based battery builder, closest I’ve found is company in Belgium offering a 10S4P @ €377.00. Not sure what sort of market price these are going for. I’m happy to buy or happy to make but could really do with some help if you have the time, you look like a super busy guy. Thanks in adance, Regards Maverick

@BigBrit or @Tinp123 or @pjotr47 or @Acido may be able to help you out…

4 Likes

You have a pm back

Hi There,

Just like to say thanks for the contact, hopefully all good with new battery upgrade now but really appreciate your help Regards

Lewis

1 Like

:ok_hand: glad you got it sorted mate

Hey @Marsen Just bought a friends Carbon GT. Didn’t realise how bad the voltage sag is on these 10ah prismatic cell packs. Im 95kgs and running the 175mm ATs with 66t gearing. I managed to get 20km of fairly flat riding in fast mode but if I even think about using GT the ride is over in minutes and I don’t even look at hills. Would you suggest 10s4p or 10s5p and if I go with the highest current option does the CGT cope with the constant current for extended periods? Can anyone who has done the upgrade chime in here?