[AUS] Australia, Custom built 18650 Battery packs including Evolve battery upgrade

Hey so I was looking to get v more range out of my evolve CGT and I’m v looking for the biggest pack I can fit in without modding the desk itself from what I read, 10s4p fit resy but I’m woundering it’s a 10s5p of 10s6p will fit

If someone could let me know that works be great

From what I’ve read, you can fit a 10s5p with some squeezing and rearranging, I think. I don’t have a source for that but have read it somewhere

I have done a post on the Carbon GT battery upgrade.

The only bms that fits with a 10S5P battery is the new ones without an Aluminum heat plate on it, you will need the spacer for the rest.

30q batterys are only good for 15A so they are not acceptable for a 3 or 4p pack for the evolve GT board as they can pull up to 80A at full noise. as well you say you use 0.2mm nickel strap x3 plus 4mm2 tinned copper braid. what width is you nickel strip and your braid. by my calcs you are very under rated for the GT. as far as i can see no one sells 4mm2 copper braid less than 2mm thick. i can tell you with those dimensions it will not fit. evolve made sure people people wouldnt be able to retro fit 18650 batterys to there CGT with out spending big dollars on copper welding techniques to keep the width down. also a tip, dont make the mistake that many have and choose to not insulate the outer edges of your pack sufficently so as to be able to fit your pack in a CGT. the Carbon fibre is conductive. you are basically installing the batteryinto a metal box with a thin layer of soft easily scrathed laquer on it. vibration = fire in a poorly insulated carbon board battery.

One thing to note is that, while not officially supported, 30Q can do 20A in non thermal throttled scenarios

Hi @Marsen. I would love to order a battery pack for my Bamboo GTX.

Sure no problem. 10S4P with 30Q’s?

Don’t know what happened to all the posts replying to maker’s comments on battery building so I will reply again just to clarify a few things.

1. The 30Q is rated to 15A continuous and 3000mAh it will do 20A continuous but will fall short of 3000mAh it will also heat up quicker. By the time the battery has reached anywhere near dangerous heat levels at 20A per cell it is fully drained.
  2. I have tested my 0.2mm Nickel strips to 20A on my West Mountain Radio analyser and it only reached 38 degrees C far lower than the cell itself.
  3. The copper braid is 1mm thick and 6.5mm wide, in theory that makes it 6.5x1mm = 6.5mm2. This is not quite correct in reality as the braid is less densely packed together compared to stranded wire so it is calculated by the square mm of each strand times the number of strands. I stated 4mm2 in the post of the build but made a mistake and I’ve been using 6mm2 all this time. It’s the same thickness so I will continue using the 6mm Copper%20Braid The Nickel is 10mm x 0.2mm and as you can see there is a couple of mm on either side. The copper is also soldered to the middle of the 4P bank of cells so that the Nickel has to cope with a max of 40A and even then it is only for a length of 9mm. As I stated before there is far more heat generation from the cell than the resistance of the Nickel.
  4. An 18650 battery pack fits in a Carbon board quite easily as I have done numerous times. I used several layers of Kapton tape then reinforced fibre tape and finally shrink wrap. Well insulated! 20181107_135148%5B1%5D It fits !!! Any question please ask.
3 Likes

Yes please. I haven’t been able to figure out how to PM you.

Hey marsen , just a question do you reuse the existing BMS or are you retrofitting a new one to the batterys?

I Use the original BMS. I have a smart BMS that has a UART socket but I’d need a software whiz to interface it with the evolve esc to make it work.

1 Like

Hey mate, I live in Perth as well and am waiting on my new evolve carbon which I bought while wearing my rose coloured glasses. How have the upgrades gone so far for their carbon decks? What size packs have you been able to fit? Should I wait until mine starts to die?

Hi Frank, the Carbon board upgrades are the most popular ones I do. The 15Ah battery has been an awesome upgrade for this board. If you have a new one on the way I would wait a while and see how you get on with the stock battery. When new it should still give you a great ride. The only thing that may be an issue is if your a big guy. If your 90+ Kg then the battery will sag quite quickly on hills See how you go. If you want to change then I can make you a battery in just a couple of weeks.

Cool man! Thanks for help. I am over 90kgs but I’ll see how we go.

I own a bamboo GTX and a CGT both with very little ride time. As terrible as this sounds I can’t wait for the performance to dwindle so I can justify the upgrade. I weigh 85kg, yesterday on a relatively small but steep hill my bamboo completely cut out (was repeatable), is this the voltage sag we are talking about? Will the 18650’s remedy this? Great thing that your doing, keep up the good work, it’s appreciated! G

The most common reason for it to cut out is the voltage sag, where the voltage drops too low and the board shuts down. I have also seen where the temperature sensor is not in the right place and falsely shuts down the board for over temperature. The 18650 batteries using Samsung 30Q’s or the LG HG2,s and Sony VTC6’s these are all top range batteries that will maintain a higher voltage under high current loads. This prevents the low voltage shutdown that can occur with the Evolve boards.

Thanks, where is the temp sensor supposed to be located, is it within the battery pack? Which cell do you recommend overall?

It is a battery cell temp sensor so should be on one of the cells. I recommend the Samsung 30Q’s. Not as good as the Sony VTC6 or HG2 when new but they have a better cycle life so even after 50 recharges they have the same or better capacity. They can cope with a 20A demand for short periods so can match the other two for that. If you want something to be able to pump out 20A for longer then go with the VTC6 but lets face it at 20A per cell load the thing will be flat in 7 mins so you just don’t need it. Especially as they cost about 40% more. Esk8 needs a high capacity cell with good high current performance for short periods. I have used all three but prefer the 30Q because its such good value.

1 Like

I run a battery booster for my evolve, a couple of us in melb do it. With the low output 4-5amps charging on the fly you get a lot of energy from the boost pack, I have a sagging cgt and can still get 40k’s on at’s with a booster.

Where do you get your 11pin evolve bms connectors please?